Essien on Juve wish list (6 Viewers)

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

hey! :frown:

it's not like Canna played badly... it was Maldini of all people who didn't do his job marking Ahn
Oh...oops! Sorry I forgot gray, I meant no offense, and I apologise if I did...but you have to admit Italy losing to South Korea...? (Whilst 50% being our own fault) is unthinkable...

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
No offence taken

++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++
I'm serious gray, what is the world coming to? I hate the way people think players are crap, because of where they were born or what league they play in, it is pathetic...
My reasons (and I'm sure other people's) for not thinking Ferdinand is that great a defender have nothing to do with where he was born or what league he plays in. Sure he made a huge difference for United when he came back from a lengthy lay-off, but (no offence) when you put him next to players like Wes Brown and the not-that-great Silvestre, you can see why his presence was felt so much.

Frankly speaking, I think Rio's only had one truly brilliant season, and that was with Leeds. Apart from that though, whenever I see him play, he just doesn't have that solid presence that players like Thuram do. When I see centre-backs, I rate them based on how calmly and organisedly (for lack of a better word) they can clean up attacking moves, and Ferdinand really hasn't ever impressed me in that respect.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
No offence taken

My reasons (and I'm sure other people's) for not thinking Ferdinand is that great a defender have nothing to do with where he was born or what league he plays in. Sure he made a huge difference for United when he came back from a lengthy lay-off, but (no offence) when you put him next to players like Wes Brown and the not-that-great Silvestre, you can see why his presence was felt so much.

Frankly speaking, I think Rio's only had one truly brilliant season, and that was with Leeds. Apart from that though, whenever I see him play, he just doesn't have that solid presence that players like Thuram do. When I see centre-backs, I rate them based on how calmly and organisedly (for lack of a better word) they can clean up attacking moves, and Ferdinand really hasn't ever impressed me in that respect.
Well, with a due respect gray, I dont agree with you...Since Rio has returned he has been very calm and organized...and regardless of what people think he IS world class...I like Nesta is the best in the world, but Rio is IMHO better then Canna even though Canna is world class...

Second...Wes Brown is actually not a bad defender, but what do you expect, the guy has had 6 major injuries, does anyone not think that is hard to come back from? I think peope are so unfair on him, he is one of the most "natural" defenders in the world, and I believe had the injuries not of happened then he'd of been World Class...now you can laugh as much as you want at me saying this I expect nothing less from some members on here (not you gray)...but the fact is I have watched him, and I know how good he is...

Mar 6, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++
Second...Wes Brown is actually not a bad defender, but what do you expect, the guy has had 6 major injuries, does anyone not think that is hard to come back from? I think peope are so unfair on him, he is one of the most "natural" defenders in the world, and I believe had the injuries not of happened then he'd of been World Class...now you can laugh as much as you want at me saying this I expect nothing less from some members on here (not you gray)...but the fact is I have watched him, and I know how good he is...
Even though I'm not a Man U fan. .(in fact I hate them.. :p), I have to agree with Nicole on this.. I just saw Man utd last match, and he was great at right back, in defending and sending in great crosses.. I certainly wouldn't mind him here at juve instead of zebina..

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
Essien has Juve option
Monday 21 March, 2005
Lyon midfielder Michael Essien is again being linked with a summer move to Italian giants Juventus.

The Ghanaian ace has been paired with numerous clubs recently, but reports in Italy suggest that the Bianconeri are in a good position to land the starlet.

However, they face some stiff opposition for him given that Manchester United, Arsenal and Barcelona are also looking to lure him away from the Stade Gerland

"For the moment I have no idea what will happen," said the 22-year-old at the weekend.

"I still have three years left on my contract with Lyon, but I like Arsenal and Manchester United as well.

"In the end it will be my decision, just as it was when I turned down PSG to come to Lyon."

The youngster has been a revelation since he joined from Bastia in 2003, and Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas values him at £20m.

The club will do everything in their power to persuade Essien to stay, but are reported to be following Saint-Etienne's Didier Zokora as an eventual replacement.

- Channel4.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
No offence taken

I agree on that account. Rio is not on the same level as Cannavaro in the marking and tackling departments. Just because Rio can dribble the ball upfield past a few unsuspecting English strikers does not make him the best defender in the world. :rolleyes:

Nesta showed up Rio when their two respective clubs met this month. Please take off those ugly Red glasses.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
Rio is physically more ideal than canna, but I think that is really y he is good. From physicall attributes, I think he lacks strategical positioning like canna.

But he does Out power the opponent, so he looks pretty dominant.

I wouldn't mind having him replace canna considering canna's age.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I think Canna only lacks in height, and therefore physical presence. But what he lacks there, he more than makes up in speed, agility and fantastic skills. As Bianconero of me as it may sound, Ive always said i think Canna is better than Nesta. And if given a choice between the two, the only reason id even consider Nesta over Canna, would only be due to the age factor.

PS: Canna Vs Rio - not even in the same league (pun unintended)

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Then there are so many ignorant people in here, I've seen both on many occasions, and I do admire Canna he IS a fantastic defender, but I would have Rio over Canna, not because of age or height, simple because I feel he is a better defender, if it was possible, I'd rather have Rio playing for Italy then Canna...Even tho Canna is world class, but to say Rio isnt world class is simple foolish...

It so sad to see so many ignorant people...who dont even know they are ignorant...

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
There have been so many occasions when Rio has disappointed and flopped,I don't know where to start.

People only seem to notice when he plays well.You,Nicole,happen to have an extremely selective memory.

Aug 26, 2003
I think that the best two central defenders are Cannavaro and Nesta. and this season, i put Cannavaro over Nesta any day!

I think both have their own qualitys but the age is speaking for Nesta.

At the moment i think:
Cannavaro, Nesta
Ferdinand, Thuram, Stam

Aug 26, 2003
All in all i think these 5 are very strong and maybe the strongest in the world, but also Carvalho and Terry are strong IMO.

But for Juve i think the Thuram - Cannavaro Partnership is the best that could happen!

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++
There have been so many occasions when Rio has disappointed and flopped,I don't know where to start.

People only seem to notice when he plays well.You,Nicole,happen to have an extremely selective memory.
Go on then, name some...because my "selective" memory can only re-call about 2 games...ever...

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Try as I may I'm afraid I can't really remember any specific incident,it's really everything I think.Rio just isn't a top defender,certainly not as everyone makes him out to be.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Thats the typical response, your argument is worthless if you cant offer proof...it's like me saying that Beckenbauer was a crap player, but I cant remember any times he was crap...but he was...believe me...)

So you know I am not comparing Rio to Beckenbauer, nor am I saying he was crap, I am using it as a way to show what you are saying is meaningless...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)