Essien on Juve wish list (1 Viewer)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++
Then there are so many ignorant people in here, I've seen both on many occasions, and I do admire Canna he IS a fantastic defender, but I would have Rio over Canna, not because of age or height, simple because I feel he is a better defender, if it was possible, I'd rather have Rio playing for Italy then Canna...Even tho Canna is world class, but to say Rio isnt world class is simple foolish...

It so sad to see so many ignorant people...who dont even know they are ignorant...t so sad to see so many ignorant people...who dont even know they are ignorant...

Rio falls in the same mould as Materazzi. He doesnt even justify a comparison to Canna imo.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Dec 26, 2004
Then there are so many ignorant people in here, I've seen both on many occasions, and I do admire Canna he IS a fantastic defender, but I would have Rio over Canna , not because of age or height, simple because I feel he is a better defender, if it was possible, I'd rather have Rio playing for Italy then Canna...Even tho Canna is world class, but to say Rio isnt world class is simple foolish...

It so sad to see so many ignorant people...who dont even know they are ignorant...
Thnaks God ya r not Juventino, so I won't argue....

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Then baggio you are a fool who's opinion is worthless...
Actually, it is you thats the fool. Rio cannot be compared to Thruam, nesta or Cannavaro, they are simply miles ahead of him. Rio may have the better body frame and be stronger, but all of the three I named are much more intellignent football wise and simply better defenders. You're unbeliavalby biased Nicole.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
well between Rio and Thuram I would pick Rio because he is younger and has equal defending skills Thuram is not the player he was two years ago but he is still a great defender
About Cannavaro he has a slight edge over them in terms of defending

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004

(...) but Rio is IMHO better then Canna even though Canna is world class...
WHAT?! As Zlatan, Baggio and Gray have already pointed out you cannot be serious about this. Cannavaro is indeed a world class defender, but Ferdinand is not. Man Utd and Arsenal have always had poor defenses, just look at the European results in the last decade. Because they are surrounded with crap like Brown and Toure and Hyppia (who wasn't that good at Willem II - a Dutch midtable team, which is about equal to Serie B) they look quite good.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
This is what i find the most frustrating about fans in this forum, the chronic inability to correctly judge stuff. Too much constant criticism of other people's posts by calling selective memory when they all do the same thing themselves

I am no fan of Ferdinand's but he is one of the best centre backs in the world
He was voted one of the best ifnot the best in the last world cup, while Campbell was one of the best in last Euros

Now lets come to Thuram, he was made to look like a fool against rooney, his positioning is suspect most of the times well like Campbells really but because he plays for Juve in the Italian league he is the best.

Cannavaro is my favourite defender but he has less ability on the ball than Blasi and has made mistakes like the goal Italy conceded against France in Euor 2000 and against Zlatan in 2004 not to mention Helguera header against Real Madrid

But somehow its always the Englisd players mistakes that are costantly highlighted

Yes Italian defenders are by and large better than their English counterparts but to compare Materazzi with Rio is a major insult

Andy goes on to say Nesta showed up Rio when Man united played Milan, please how? Were they facing the same attackers? Did Milan open up Man's defence time and time again? Did Man united not create any chances at all in both legs?

I have just noticed what this thrread is really about and yes I would love Essien to be at Juve but not at the expense of Appiah who will keep him company until he gets to know his team mates and who know might inspire Appiah to better things as some players need a soul mate to make them better a la Cole and Yorke

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Andy goes on to say Nesta showed up Rio when Man united played Milan, please how? Were they facing the same attackers? Did Milan open up Man's defence time and time again? Did Man united not create any chances at all in both legs?
Oh please. Nesta was clearly better than Rio on BOTH nights, not letting anything by. On a few occasions Rio made minimal mistakes that could have cost his team, however Nesta was completely solid.

Stop making excuses.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Oh please. Nesta was clearly better than Rio on BOTH nights, not letting anything by. On a few occasions Rio made minimal mistakes that could have cost his team, however Nesta was completely solid.

Stop making excuses.
Jus out of interest Andy... Have you looked at the opta stats to compare, misslaid passes, missed tackles etc for rio and nesta on those nights?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++

Jus out of interest Andy... Have you looked at the opta stats to compare, misslaid passes, missed tackles etc for rio and nesta on those nights?
No I did not. Nesta seemed to be more solid with my own eyes.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Stop making excuses.
Since your memory is so vivid please enlightnen me when Rio made these minimal mistakes which could have cost his team as the mistakes i remember were caused by Silvestre but then again I might be wrong

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Would that be Torres of Athletico madrid? Just out of interest do you think he is better or worse that Trez and I do not believe Campbell is thn Rio but its my opinion

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Since your memory is so vivid please enlightnen me when Rio made these minimal mistakes which could have cost his team as the mistakes i remember were caused by Silvestre but then again I might be wrong
I remember Rio giving the ball away to Seedorf, setting up a shot for Milan. Also IIRC Rio missed a tackle on either Kaka or Crespo which set up a chance, however Milan failed to capitalize. I can't remember much however when I watched the matches I got the impression Nesta looked more solid than Rio. Have to watch the matches all over again to pick apart the mistkes.

Oh, and since you love calling me out you should go back to the Reggina thread. I responded to your post about DP and Zlatan.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
wow back put the ego back in check, its not a witch hunt , you just have this habit of not being objective in your views thats all and i will respond to your posts regarding Zlatan and Dp

OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #160
    IMO Ferdinand is a good defender. He may not be as good as Nesta but he's still a good player in my view.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)