[ENG] Premiership 2007/2008 (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Blackburn had a lot of possession in the first half, but they barely touched the ball in the second.
Not too sure about that one. I tried to google the stats but I wasn't successful in finding any. Feel free to provide a link here.

That explains the sticky feet. :p
:D

@Esteban, a Sagna avatar?? how original:p
Of course. :D
His hairdo is off the hook. And he is a great fullback too. Imo Clichy and Sagna should be the starters for France in the Euro2008 rather than oldie Sagnol and clumsy Abidal. I do realize Evra is also ahead of Clichy in the pecking order, though.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Not too sure about that one. I tried to google the stats but I wasn't successful in finding any. Feel free to provide a link here.

:D

Of course. :D
His hairdo is off the hook. And he is a great fullback too. Imo Clichy and Sagna should be the starters for France in the Euro2008 rather than oldie Sagnol and clumsy Abidal. I do realize Evra is also ahead of Clichy in the pecking order, though.
I agree that Sagna deserves to start..and while i'm a big fan of Clichy(imo our most consistent player this season) i think Abidal is arguably the best leftback in the world right now..He hasnt been spectacular for Barca yet, but he will get there imo

as for evra i believe Clichy has surpassed him this season...Clichy has been the best fullback in the league by a mile this season..i cant remember the last time a winger got the better of him..he's kept players like Ronaldo, Lennon and Joe Cole in his pocket..the same cant be said about Evra who was totally owned by Lennon this season.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
I agree that Sagna deserves to start..and while i'm a big fan of Clichy(imo our most consistent player this season) i think Abidal is arguably the best leftback in the world right now..He hasnt been spectacular for Barca yet, but he will get there imo

as for evra i believe Clichy has surpassed him this season...Clichy has been the best fullback in the league by a mile this season..i cant remember the last time a winger got the better of him..he's kept players like Ronaldo, Lennon and Joe Cole in his pocket..the same cant be said about Evra who was totally owned by Lennon this season.
Disagree about Abidal. Granted, I haven't seen too much of him this season because the only time I will torture myself watching a La Liga game is when I have absolutely zero other things to do.

Agree Clichy has been way better than Evra but I am talking about Domenech's pecking order. That man sure does work in mysterious ways.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Disagree about Abidal. Granted, I haven't seen too much of him this season because the only time I will torture myself watching a La Liga game is when I have absolutely zero other things to do.
He's no Daniel Alves, nothing fancy..but does his job very well..defensively i am positive he's the best leftback in the world right now..offensively he's just ok, but i guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one;)

Agree Clichy has been way better than Evra but I am talking about Domenech's pecking order. That man sure does work in mysterious ways.
He sure does..i mean he prefers Govou and Saha over Trezeguet. He prefers the over aged Thuram over Mexes, he also prefers Escude over Mexes..and funniest of all..he prefers Mickael Landreu who isnt even close to being the best keeper in the Ligue over the second best keeper in the Serie A.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
He sure does..i mean he prefers Govou and Saha over Trezeguet. He prefers the over aged Thuram over Mexes, he also prefers Escude over Mexes..and funniest of all..he prefers Mickael Landreu who isnt even close to being the best keeper in the Ligue over the second best keeper in the Serie A.
Yeah and not to mention he let Zidane and Vieira and the rest of the old guard decide for him that Bartez was gonna be the starting goalkeeper during the last WC. And also the famous story about why he isn't picking Trez; his astrological sign. :dielaugh:

One thing is for sure. Domenech will need to accomplish atleast a place in the final this summer, or he is out.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Ya i'm beginning to think France is going to go out from the first round with him at helm, theres no Zidane to bail him out this time.

northbank

Mar 22, 2006
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/premier-league/2007-2008/arsenal-blackburn-195828.html

Match stats.

Evra is better then Clichy in his approach play; he seems more natural- spots passes earlier and within a wider range and his attacking movement is superior. The weighting of his passes is also superior over a greater range of distances.

There's not much to choose between them, but I would say that Evra is the marginally better of the two, although Clichy is currently playing the better football (for the last month or so).

Sagna is the best right back in the premiership this season easily. I couldn't say the world, but his overall game and consistency is off the charts. In my opinion, he was man of the match against Blackburn.

Regarding the earlier debate about the games being played overseas; I think a 39th game is as unlikely as Sharia law existing in the UK, but I wouldn't rule out the odd fixture being played abroad within 5-10 years.

Some people have been muting the charity shield as a possibility and that sounds like an interesting one; league leaders versus cup winners at a venue abroad in a relatively competitive game before the season starts. Not too bad of an idea if they really must go through with it.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/premier-league/2007-2008/arsenal-blackburn-195828.html

Match stats.

Evra is better then Clichy in his approach play; he seems more natural- spots passes earlier and within a wider range and his attacking movement is superior. The weighting of his passes is also superior over a greater range of distances.

There's not much to choose between them, but I would say that Evra is the marginally better of the two, although Clichy is currently playing the better football (for the last month or so).
I have to disagree here..i believe Clichy is the better fullback.. Granted Evra is better than Gael going forward..but thats about it..What you want most from your fullbacks is to keep opposition wingers in check..nobody does that like Clichy..he has put Ronaldo in his pocket so many times now its not even funny. I'd feel a lot more secure having Clichy as my leftback than having Evra.

Did anyone see what Lennon did to Evra in the Fa Cup?? he completely owned him all match long.

IMO Clichy has been our best player this season..but he isnt scoring goals like Adebayor, and he isnt making them like Cesc, thats the only reason he isng getting the recognition he deserves..but he has been by far our most consistent player this season, i cant even remember the last time he had a bad game.

northbank

Mar 22, 2006
Clichy gave a ridiculous goal away just 2 or 3 games ago, and he has made the exact same mistake plenty of times this season; sometimes it goes unpunished, sometimes not.

He also allowed the crosses to be put in for most of the goals we conceded this season (crosses very rarely have come in from Sagna's side for instance). I'm not going to blame him entirely for that, as he has very rarely had protection from his winger, but it just shows that he doesn't put every player he faces 'in his pocket'.

He was our best player in January and maybe December, but in terms of defensive performance, he was outshone by Sagna at the start of the season and Gallas for a long period thereafter.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think most neutral fans would agree that right now, Evra is a better player then Clichy; irrespective of form. Evra, Clichy and Bridge in that order are currently the best in the premiership.

Clichy gets just as much recognition as the players you have mentioned, I can guarantee that. The stadium was singing Clichy's name long before Adebayor came along and much more often then cesc's. He just doesn't have a particular 'song' that comes across clearly. If you mean pundit recognition; I think you may have missed something there too, he is widely touted as one of the finest full-backs in the league.

In regards to consistency, I would disagree and say that Flamini, sagna and Gallas have been equally consistent but irrespective of that consistency is only one facet of football. You have to look at the impact the player has as well, how many points they add to the table, do they win you games? can they pull you up from the brink of defeat to get a win or a draw? This is why attacking players are always more highly rated then defensive ones.

I do however feel that Clichy has been one of our top three performers this season.

That link ain't workin, northbank.
Sorry mate, the possession stat is 55% arsenal Blakcburn 45%, shots 15/8, shots on target 7/1.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Now you jinxed him, next game he is going to have a stinker and score an own goal
Nah my jinxes only work on Juve:D
Clichy gave a ridiculous goal away just 2 or 3 games ago, and he has made the exact same mistake plenty of times this season; sometimes it goes unpunished, sometimes not.

He also allowed the crosses to be put in for most of the goals we conceded this season (crosses very rarely have come in from Sagna's side for instance). I'm not going to blame him entirely for that, as he has very rarely had protection from his winger, but it just shows that he doesn't put every player he faces 'in his pocket'.

He was our best player in January and maybe December, but in terms of defensive performance, he was outshone by Sagna at the start of the season and Gallas for a long period thereafter.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think most neutral fans would agree that right now, Evra is a better player then Clichy; irrespective of form. Evra, Clichy and Bridge in that order are currently the best in the premiership.

Clichy gets just as much recognition as the players you have mentioned, I can guarantee that. The stadium was singing Clichy's name long before Adebayor came along and much more often then cesc's. He just doesn't have a particular 'song' that comes across clearly. If you mean pundit recognition; I think you may have missed something there too, he is widely touted as one of the finest full-backs in the league.

In regards to consistency, I would disagree and say that Flamini, sagna and Gallas have been equally consistent but irrespective of that consistency is only one facet of football. You have to look at the impact the player has as well, how many points they add to the table, do they win you games? can they pull you up from the brink of defeat to get a win or a draw? This is why attacking players are always more highly rated then defensive ones.

I do however feel that Clichy has been one of our top three performers this season.

Sorry mate, the possession stat is 55% arsenal Blakcburn 45%, shots 15/8, shots on target 7/1.
That was one mistake, i dont remember him doing it before, he rarely loses the ball..and i disagree about Clichy allowing crosses in..tbh he is a much better defender than Sagna..when wingers arent able to get the better of Clichy, they go to Sagna's side and find it relatively easier. the only reason Sagna's claim for being the best in his position in the league is because there arent much quality rightbacks in the EPL this season.

The only area Clichy needs to improve in his game is his crossing, and he's doing that now.IMO if he masters crossing , he wil be one of the top leftbacks in Europe.

Flamini has a strong claim of being more consistent than Clichy, but i disagree about Gallas and Sagna being more consistent than him..both of them had a few bad games, Gallas had an atrocious game against the Spuds in the Carling cup..I dont remember a single bad game from Gael this season

northbank

Mar 22, 2006
I'm not really too bothered either way; Clichy had bad games at the start of the season and has had a few, there's no need to pinpoint them but the whole team has had individually poorer performances. For instance other then Gallas' game in the carling cup, can you remember another one? that game was just recently so it is fresher in the memory.

On a lighter note, I've just come back from half day at work and have a fresh ticket for Arsenal v Milan on my table! :toast:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I'm not really too bothered either way; Clichy had bad games at the start of the season and has had a few, there's no need to pinpoint them but the whole team has had individually poorer performances. For instance other then Gallas' game in the carling cup, can you remember another one? that game was just recently so it is fresher in the memory.

On a lighter note, I've just come back from half day at work and have a fresh ticket for Arsenal v Milan on my table! :toast:
Wow lucky you..:agree:

Ever been to the Emirates before??

northbank

Mar 22, 2006
Yeah- I was at nearly every game last year, but due to work commitments have been only a few times this season. Was supposed to miss the Milan game but due to some fortunate circumstances now have a ticket. :scarf:

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Yeah- I was at nearly every game last year, but due to work commitments have been only a few times this season. Was supposed to miss the Milan game but due to some fortunate circumstances now have a ticket. :scarf:
Cool..Never been to an Arsenal game in my life, but i'm hoping they'd pay a visit to Dubai someday(all the big european teams came here) even if its a friendly.

northbank

Mar 22, 2006
It's difficult to say because Wenger doesn't like playing friendlies too far away from home (hence the yearly trip to Austria). Maybe they'll do a special trip there because of our sponsorship at some point; not sure anything like that has been planned though.

Tickets for ashburton grove aren't too hard to get for most games if you are a red member and wanted to make the trip. Category A games are fairly expensive and always sell out quickly, but the majority are easily available. If you make it to England, send me a pm if I'm around the forum and I could look into getting you one for a game during your stay.

May 22, 2007
BBC said:
The president of football's world governing body has told the BBC that plans by the Premier League to host games abroad will never happen.

Sepp Blatter added that the proposal could harm England's attempt to host the 2018 World Cup.

The Premier League announced last week that clubs will consider plans to extend the season to 39 games with the extra matches taking place overseas.

But the idea has met with resistance in Asia, Europe and fans of the clubs.
Weirdly, it's Sepp who stopped it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)