[ENG] Premiership 2007/2008 (43 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2004
Aston Villa pissed all over Kevin Keegan's extremely average Newcastle side.

John Carew is awesome. He threw his shirt over at the Holte End at Full Time. :touched:

All they hype about Keegan is pointless.

I seriously rate Martin Oneill as one of the master tacticians out there. Plus his ability to get the best out of average players like Laursen (he wasn't a world class marksman at Milan), John Carew, Shaun Maloney (ex Celtic youngster) etc. really shows his effective coaching.

I'll give him another 2-3 years, if he keeps a solid young talent, along with a few good signings, Villa should be up there with the Chelsea's, Man United and Arsenal...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I personally think Juande Ramos, Errikson and arguably even David Moyes are better managers that have a better chance to get that CL spot for their teams..

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Was a great game by City to be honest..sven tactically outclassed Fergie..imo citys way of defending deep countered man utds pace..the likes of Ronaldo, Tevez and Nani had no space to run behind citys defenders..the fact that Fergie didnt play a defensive minded midfielder didnt help either..theres no way you can beat a good team like man city without a defensive mid.

And Forza micah Richards he was phenomenal yesterday
:agree:

When I heard the teams, I couldn't believe Fergie didn't play either Carrick or Hargreaves.

Not clever.

Liverpool - Chelsea always a draw (0-0 mostly). I knew it, that's why I was watching Bayern - Werder instead.
Same here.

If I had to bet on any fixture in the world being a tedious 0-0 draw, I would go for Chelsea v Liverpool.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Aston Villa pissed all over Kevin Keegan's extremely average Newcastle side.

John Carew is awesome. He threw his shirt over at the Holte End at Full Time. :touched:

All they hype about Keegan is pointless.

I seriously rate Martin Oneill as one of the master tacticians out there. Plus his ability to get the best out of average players like Laursen (he wasn't a world class marksman at Milan), John Carew, Shaun Maloney (ex Celtic youngster) etc. really shows his effective coaching.

I'll give him another 2-3 years, if he keeps a solid young talent, along with a few good signings, Villa should be up there with the Chelsea's, Man United and Arsenal...
martin o'neill is a motivator rather than a tactician(like alex ferguson) carew is not an average player, if you get him the service he will score. remember he has plyed his career (very succesfully) in la liga and ligue 1 in recent years.
as for maloney he is by no means an average player, he was the young scottish player of teh year before he ehaded down south and one of the most exciting young scottish players. he needs games and to adapt to enland but he can make a big impression if he applies the work.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
I personally think Juande Ramos, Errikson and arguably even David Moyes are better managers that have a better chance to get that CL spot for their teams..
far fetched for ramos imo, but he could be close if they keep form.

i have a lot of respect for moyes and more important the hierachy at everton as they gave him time and invested smartly in that team, they stuck with him in the tough times(a couple of years ago when they were in the relegation zone) and now they are building something interesting.

btw did gilberto play for spurs ?

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Shaun Maloney is perhaps the best free taker in the premiership maybe with the sole exception of Ronaldo but they have different techniques and Shaun can bend it round the wall better.

He is Scottish so he would not get a look in when we are talking about very good free kick takers in the world.

I have always maintained that ferguson has no tactical nous but I would not exactly call Ericsson a genius either.

They perhaps caught Man united on a good day with the emotions and the midweek European matches.

Its incredible that Man united have lost every game Rooney has missed this season and that City has not lost a game that Vassell has scored in, not that the just above average player scores a lot of goals.

I thought Avram Grant always plays football the right way so what was that yesterday?

Riding on Jose coattails would only take you thus far, Grant, next season with some of the guys leaving would be a test of how well he is actually doing.

I happen to think that not having that many stars to call from for various reasons has helped him enormously as insttead of picking players on status he has been able to pick on form.

When they are all ready, lets see how he copes with dropping big name players, it is not easy at all especially when you are not a big time manager.

As for Rafa, what a joke of a season he is having

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
far fetched for ramos imo, but he could be close if they keep form.

i have a lot of respect for moyes and more important the hierachy at everton as they gave him time and invested smartly in that team, they stuck with him in the tough times(a couple of years ago when they were in the relegation zone) and now they are building something interesting.

btw did gilberto play for spurs ?
I wasnt talking about this season specifically, Jols bad start has made even a uefa cup spot hard for Spurs.

martin o'neill is a motivator rather than a tactician(like alex ferguson) carew is not an average player, if you get him the service he will score. remember he has plyed his career (very succesfully) in la liga and ligue 1 in recent years.
as for maloney he is by no means an average player, he was the young scottish player of teh year before he ehaded down south and one of the most exciting young scottish players. he needs games and to adapt to enland but he can make a big impression if he applies the work.
O Neil is indeed more of a motivator...he's as far from a master tactican as they get....He's a good manager, but the way his teams always opt for the long ball tactics really gets under my skin.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
@denco-agreed especially on avram grant

@fred-what really gets me laughing is that celtic fans give strachan hell as they are not a good footballing team to watch....did they watch o'neills team? hartson and sutton up top, if not for larsson it would have been route 1 for 90 minutes

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
@denco-agreed especially on avram grant

@fred-what really gets me laughing is that celtic fans give strachan hell as they are not a good footballing team to watch....did they watch o'neills team? hartson and sutton up top, if not for larsson it would have been route 1 for 90 minutes
:howler:

May 22, 2007
Supporters threaten boycott of Premier League sponsors over foreign fixture plans

Paul Kelso
Monday February 11, 2008
The Guardian

Supporters groups are considering targeting the Premier League's sponsors as part of a campaign to resist plans for a 39th round of fixtures played overseas. The Football Supporters Federation will write to Barclays, title-sponsors of the Premier League, asking the bank to clarify its position on Richard Scudamore's proposal to take 10 matches to foreign cities from the 2010-11 season.

The FSF is campaigning against the proposals and will consider a boycott of sponsors if it is not satisfied that Barclays shares its concerns. It is also planning to contact other sponsors including Anheuser-Busch, the parent company of Budweiser, Nike, Lucozade's parent Glaxo-Smithkline and Wrigleys. If it does not receive a satisfactory response from the sponsors then fans may be asked to withdraw their custom from the brands.

"All of the commercial sponsors who associate themselves with the Premier League and bask in the glory in the good times must also expect their role to come under scrutiny when outrageous proposals such as these are made," said a spokesman.

The FSF has launched a petition on its website www.fsf.org.uk and is planning a day of action at forthcoming Premier League fixtures. It will meet with supporters across the country this week.

The Premier League will meet Fifa officials in the coming weeks to try to establish the legal viability of the proposal to play an additional round of fixtures overseas from 2010.

The League's chief executive, Richard Scudamore, confirmed yesterday that he will seek a meeting with the Fifa general secretary Jérome Valcke to discuss the plans. Scudamore and his advisors believe that the proposed 39th game would not be in breach of Fifa's statutes.

Their interpretation is based on the precedent of international friendly matches which can be held in third-party nations if the host national association approves the game. The relevant regulation, article 76, is open to broad interpretation, however. It states: "The [Fifa] executive committee shall be responsible for issuing provisions for organising international matches and competitions between association teams and between league and/or club teams. No such match or competition shall take place without the prior permission of Fifa."

The FA's interpretation of the move will play a part in Fifa's deliberations, and Scudamore said yesterday that the chief executive, Brian Barwick, had told him it was "a fantastic idea".

Scudamore fears that if he does not move first on the issue the leading clubs will act on their own to the detriment of smaller clubs. "This is a solidarity move where all 20 clubs want to do it," he said. The chief executive did not rule out the experiment one day extending beyond a single additional game, but said the current proposal was a "strategic play" that would satisfy clubs for a decade.

Good on them. The idea is pathetic and completely takes away the specialty of European club competitions to me. Football has become too commercial in England, and it will suffer if it doesn't keep to tradition.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I guess I agree that the idea is idiotic but then again you wonder how bad is it really?

Juventus played both Parma and Milan at Tripoli and America respectfully in the super cup.

Would everyone be averse to watching Milan vs Juventus for 3 points in their own country?

Would Fred not like to see Arsenal vs Spurs in Dubai or Tripoli for 3 points not just for a friendly that every club does now anyways?

Would those guys that live in Islamabad, lahore, Plaestine or wherever not welcome the idea of watching Juve play for 3 seriea points in their own backyard even if its for 1 game?

Personally I think its a stupid idea whereby the premiership is just a whorehouse and most of the crediblity has been lost anyways due to lack of identity but I cannot speak for everyone

May 22, 2007
I guess I agree that the idea is idiotic but then again you wonder how bad is it really?

Juventus played both Parma and Milan at Tripoli and America respectfully in the super cup.

Would everyone be averse to watching Milan vs Juventus for 3 points in their own country?

Would Fred not like to see Arsenal vs Spurs in Dubai or Tripoli for 3 points not just for a friendly that every club does now anyways?

Would those guys that live in Islamabad, lahore, Plaestine or wherever not welcome the idea of watching Juve play for 3 seriea points in their own backyard even if its for 1 game?

Personally I think its a stupid idea whereby the premiership is just a whorehouse and most of the crediblity has been lost anyways due to lack of identity but I cannot speak for everyone
Whilst in the process taking it away from those who have been in England, gone to matches, payed for shirts and grown up with the game. I'm not against those who will probably never get the opportunity to see these clubs in the stadium, for what it's worth.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Whilst in the process taking it away from those who have been in England, gone to matches, payed for shirts and grown up with the game. I'm not against those who will probably never get the opportunity to see these clubs in the stadium, for what it's worth.
I am against the principles of it because it is all about money and nothing else.

But using your own logic, fans in other parts of the world sometimes spend as much money if not more if you think about standard of living on teams that are not based in their own country and if for 1 match of the season they get to see a competitive match not just a preseason game or friendly where the players are not always giving their best then its not alltogether a bad idea.

If manchester united are willing to merchandise their products and earn money from fans around the world then those fans should be entitled to watch competitive matches live.

The problem is that this idea is coming from the chairmen of the clubs and the owners.

Whilst Chelsea fans eg are happy to accept Abramovic money to make their side successful, they are up in arms when he and his collegues come up with the idea of globalising the English game.

In England a lot of the chairmen are from abroad and most are just in it for the money and whilst the fans are happy to see their clubs being bastardised without any kind of soul and are happy with it, then they should stop moaning when they come up with things like this.

The national team manager is Italian, majority of first team players are foreign, the successful managers are foreign, chairmen are foreign so why are we surprised that ideas like these are popping up.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
So we won and we're 5 points clear..didnt get to watch the match..but from the live commentary it didnt sound like we were good enough until the last 15 minutes when Blackburn attacked more.

5 points over man utd with 12 games to go..i'm starting to believe we could win this thing now..its been a while:touched:

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
You were in control of the game, without being anywhere near your best. The game should have been finished long before it was, you missed half a dozen good chances in the second half.

Blackburn only had one chance the whole game.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Not a top game from the Arsenal, no. Blackburn actually had more possession (that was my feeling at least) in the game, but they were never looking dangerous.

How good was Alex Hleb yet again though. I am creaming over this guy.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Not a top game from the Arsenal, no. Blackburn actually had more possession (that was my feeling at least) in the game, but they were never looking dangerous.

Blackburn had a lot of possession in the first half, but they barely touched the ball in the second.

Hleb was great, his dribbling was awesome.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
You were in control of the game, without being anywhere near your best. The game should have been finished long before it was, you missed half a dozen good chances in the second half.

Blackburn only had one chance the whole game.

cheers guys:pint:

Heard that Hleb and Flamini were our best players out there.

@Esteban, a Sagna avatar?? how original:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 43)