[ENG] Premiership 2007/2008 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Perhaps I am too much of a patriot, I want Svennis to still have it in him. I do think you are clouded by your being English also, though. Let's see by the end of the season who was right. ;)
Everything above 10:th place in the table would be a fine result.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Perhaps I am too much of a patriot, I want Svennis to still have it in him. I do think you are clouded by your being English also, though. Let's see by the end of the season who was right. ;)
Everything above 10:th place in the table would be a fine result.
im not english though, i just live in this god forsakken country :) and i dont support england so really as far as a england fan is concerned im considered a neutral though i would always support against the country since i bloody hate them

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
I kind of feel sorry for someone like Jamie Carragher,who's much more solid and reliable than Ferdinand,but he continues to be down the pecking order for the NT.Carragher and Terry would be a much better pairing at the back for England than that of Terry and Ferdinand.
said it time and time again thta for me carragher has been the best and most consistent defender england has had teh last 10 years, pity he will not get a game as he is not "athletic" like rio, "strong" like ledley king or "just 3 weeks away from fitness" like woodgate

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Last Updated: Tuesday, 14 August 2007, 10:51 GMT 11:51 UK

BBC.co.uk

Thai court orders Thaksin arrest

Mr Thaksin has remained abroad since last year's bloodless coup
Thailand's Supreme Court has issued a warrant for the arrest of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on corruption charges.
The ruling came after Mr Thaksin and his wife failed to attend court in the Thai capital, Bangkok.

The court was to hear the first of a series of cases being brought against the former leader, who was ousted in a military coup last year.

Since then he has been living in the UK and recently bought Manchester City FC.

Mr Thaksin had been ordered to appear at the hearing to listen to charges that he abused his power while in office, by helping his wife buy land from a state agency at a favourable price.

He denies any wrongdoing and says the charges against him are politically motivated.

Telecoms tycoon

His lawyers had asked for the case against him to be postponed until after general elections promised for December, arguing that he would not get a fair trial.

But the court's nine-member panel ordered that he appear in time for a new hearing on 25 September.

"The court has approved arrest warrants against the two suspects," Judge Tonglor Chomngarm said. "Both should be brought before the court."

Thailand's attorney-general and the prosecution have indicated that they could seek Mr Thaksin's extradition from the UK if he does not turn up at the next hearing.

The two countries have a long-standing extradition treaty, although each case is decided on its merits, the BBC's Jonathan Head reports from Bangkok.

A special committee is currently investigating another 12 cases of alleged corruption during Mr Thaksin's administration, our correspondent adds.

Prosecutors argue that Mr Thaksin, already a wealthy telecoms tycoon when he first took office, became abnormally rich while prime minister. He denies this, saying the value of his family's company increased in line with other businesses in Thailand.

If Mr Thaksin were to be convicted, our correspondent says, that could pose a problem for the English Premier League, as he might - as the new owner of Manchester City football club - be in breach of the League's rules.

:D

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Tottenham will be facing Everton today and its amazing that 1 week into the season, by sunday most teams would have played 3 games already.

With Setanta and sky, i am able to watch most games live and I have been doing a play by play for the matches live. I did for Man vs reading, villa vs liverpool and chelsea vs birmingham

I could have done for Lens vs psg and schalke vs stuttgart but I didn't know enough of the players to write live. But they were very good matches and hopefully I can get used to the French and German leagues more than I have done in the past.

The problem is setanta can be utterly unreliable as not to long ago tghey advertised they would show Inter vs Juventus vs napoli, only for me to rush home for work and find myself staring at Erik Morales vs Daniel Luiz, much to my annoyance.

I am expecting a good game especially from Spurs following their disappointment but whatever happens i should be doing the match in the blog below.

I really do hope that setanta do not cancel their serieA program as it would be great to cover serieA live cos channel 5 cannot do it all alone.

metalhead

Sep 23, 2005
There you go, more great news for EPL

Premiership wages spiralling out of control

By Henry Winter
Last Updated: 1:26am BST 07/08/2007

Finance directors of Premier League clubs confess that English football is flirting with insolvency, and some clubs risk emulating troubled Leeds United, according to a survey published yesterday.

Minted: John Terry banks a cool £135,000 a week in wages
Despite the massive rise in broadcasting revenue, most clubs are increasingly passing the cash straight to players in escalating wages.

What worries many within the game is the way elite salaries have accelerated since crossing the £100,000-a-week threshold. John Terry, Chelsea's captain, last week signed a deal worth £135,000 a week, and less wealthy clubs are overstretching themselves to compete in an inflationary marketplace.

"There are clear warning signs that the football economy is overheating,'' warned Philip Long, of PKF Accountants and Business Advisers, who interviewed 55 finance directors of English and Scottish clubs, including 13 in the Barclays Premier League.

"The fact that 62 per cent of Premier League clubs have increased their overdraft will be ringing alarm bells at the banks," Long said. "Television money has increased, but the banks will be worried that the money is effectively bypassing the clubs to be spent on buying and paying increasingly expensive players.

advertisement
"The banks' attitude suggests that, with player costs spiralling, not enough money is going towards the clubs' balance sheets,'' continued Long, whose firm have counted Liverpool, West Ham, Manchester City and Blackburn Rovers among their clients.

"The upcoming campaign is being financed through extra borrowings in an attempt to secure the rewards of a successful season, but there is growing pressure on the clubs which don't win.

"The excessive spending that brought Leeds to its knees is in danger of being repeated, and could end with more clubs facing administration and ultimately insolvency. Backers like Roman Abramovich have taken the need for profitability out of the financial equation for a few Premier League clubs. But while they can spend money on new players almost at will, other clubs without the same financial muscle are being driven to borrow and spend more - potentially more than they can afford. The pressure is worse for Championship clubs seeking promotion, as the pressure to spend is as great but the available resources are so much less.''

Sunshine and shadows lurk in recent figures; 69 per cent of Premier League clubs believe they will make a pre-tax profit, but 62 per cent have raised their overdrafts while 31 per cent of finance directors claim banks are putting the heat on them. First-team wages will rise at more than two-thirds of Premier League clubs this season. Only a quarter are cutting back in the transfer market.

In the Championship, 78 per cent of clubs expect to show a pre-tax loss, and 77 per cent concede they are overspending. "The top half of the Championship is increasing spending, undoubtedly incentivised by the financial rewards of winning promotion,'' PKF's Stuart Barnsdall said. "This is the league where the biggest risks may be taken.''

www.telegraph.co.uk/winter

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
hehe everyone here hates the EPL! quite funny. they really do have a goalkeeper problem in the NT, only a matter of time before Carson, Kirkland(if he ever stays healthy) and Foster start playing for the NT, they are all quality, particularly Foster. too bad he plays for manu....

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
hehe everyone here hates the EPL! quite funny. they really do have a goalkeeper problem in the NT, only a matter of time before Carson, Kirkland(if he ever stays healthy) and Foster start playing for the NT, they are all quality, particularly Foster. too bad he plays for manu....
none of them can lace craig gordons gloves, thank god we have a great young keeper here. national team is in safe hands for many years..

thank god coz our defense is shit and he has a lot of traffic coming his way

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
lol@ spurs, one-nil down at home to Everton already

1-1...I thought I would be able to watch it, but starsports isn't showing it :(

1-2 for Everton

LOL deflected free kick, spurs 1-3 everton

CAPITANO

58 ' SUPER SIC ' 58
Jul 12, 2006
Football players at Wags mercy, blasts Keane

Roy Keane has delivered a damning indictment on the culture of modern-day football by attacking "soft" footballers whose careers he believes are shaped by 'Wags'.

"Priorities have changed in footballers and they're being dictated to by their wives and girlfriends - there's no getting away from that," Keane, the Sunderland manager, said. "This idea of the women running the show concerns me and worries me but it shouldn't because the players we're talking about are soft.

"I could name three or four big players now and clearly their wives are running their lives. They're stood there doing these photo shoots and they might say 'I'm not comfortable doing it'. Well, don't do it then. They're getting dragged into it because of their partners. These so-called big stars, the ones people are supposed to be looking up to, they're weak, they're soft."

Keane's recruitment campaign has been hit by a series of snubs and the former Manchester United midfield hard man last night vented his spleen. "We had a player this summer who didn't even ring us back because his wife wanted to move to London; he didn't even have the courtesy to pick the phone up to us and shopping was mentioned," Keane said.

"I can understand the attraction of London if you go to Arsenal, Chelsea, maybe Spurs, but there are players just going there because it's London and to me that's wrong, clubs with half the crowds and less attention. It's not a football move, it's a lifestyle move, and they're the type you don't want at your club anyway. It tells me the player is weak and his wife runs his life."

Speaking as he prepared for tonight's Premier League game at Birmingham, Keane added: "There are less and less characters in the game. Players are motivated by lots of different things: money, London, living in certain areas. Really as a player you can retire and live anywhere you want. They're focused on where they want to live and a lot of that is down to their partners, who seem to be running their lives."

Keane continued: "You have to sign for a club for football reasons. A couple of years ago I nearly went to Juventus and people spoke to me about Turin saying it's this and it's that and that Milan would be nicer, and I said I'm not going for the bloody shops, I'm going because it's Juventus.

"Football must be your priority. You don't need to live in London or Manchester to be happy; you don't need to be surrounded by expensive shops or fancy cafes. What's your priority - your wife and her shopping or your football? Or money? If a player doesn't want to come to Sunderland because his wife wants to go shopping in London it's a sad state of affairs.

"The player won't say it to you but you know that's what they're thinking because they say, 'I need to speak to my wife'. I might have to start persuading players that Sunderland's closer to London than it actually is."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ma...1YourView&xml=/sport/2007/08/15/sfnfro115.xml

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Tottenham will be facing Everton today and its amazing that 1 week into the season, by sunday most teams would have played 3 games already.

With Setanta and sky, i am able to watch most games live and I have been doing a play by play for the matches live. I did for Man vs reading, villa vs liverpool and chelsea vs birmingham

I could have done for Lens vs psg and schalke vs stuttgart but I didn't know enough of the players to write live. But they were very good matches and hopefully I can get used to the French and German leagues more than I have done in the past.

The problem is setanta can be utterly unreliable as not to long ago tghey advertised they would show Inter vs Juventus vs napoli, only for me to rush home for work and find myself staring at Erik Morales vs Daniel Luiz, much to my annoyance.

I am expecting a good game especially from Spurs following their disappointment but whatever happens i should be doing the match in the blog below.

I really do hope that setanta do not cancel their serieA program as it would be great to cover serieA live cos channel 5 cannot do it all alone.

So wait, you provide online commentary for some media outlet? Could you tell me where you write as that's a pretty interesting job.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
There you go, more great news for EPL
That's fine, I like that news. At the rate some of these clubs are going, they will turn into another Leeds United quicker than you can say "English football is the best." Let the English invest so much on overrated players, let them inflate the market to the extent that a player such as Owen Hargreaves is available for the mere price of 25 million pounds. Let the English do whatever they want. Then, in another decade, once all resources are used and money has went down the drain, their league will be worse off than Serie A. I'd love to see that happen.

metalhead

Sep 23, 2005
That's fine, I like that news. At the rate some of these clubs are going, they will turn into another Leeds United quicker than you can say "English football is the best." Let the English invest so much on overrated players, let them inflate the market to the extent that a player such as Owen Hargreaves is available for the mere price of 25 million pounds. Let the English do whatever they want. Then, in another decade, once all resources are used and money has went down the drain, their league will be worse off than Serie A. I'd love to see that happen.
Well I respect the English's history and football culture, but their constant need to say they are the best and find reasons that they are better than others is annoying.

Plus they have developed a knack of brushing their bad news under the carpet while pointing the finger at others in the same breath.

What happened with the police probe into Newcastle etc? .... Oh, I forgot, under the carpet.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
the whole english football culture really is very interesting and frustrating, as so many of their national "strengths" carry into football and really don't help them, such as the whole "give it the good old try" mentality where they value effort over results, and glorify in tragic failure, their mentality of being able to hold on until the bitter end, maybe it worked in WWII, but it doesn't do much in WC quarterfinals, especially if your players can't score the bloody penalties that end up deciding the damn match!

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
Reading currently leading Chelsea 1-0....hope that continues! manu up 0-1 against portsmouth

Portsmouth have equlalized! portsmouth 1-1 manu

City are up 1-0 :D but united are dominating :(

FT! man city 1-0 Manu

Torres scores for 'pool!!!!

sounds like Lehman screwed up again, so it's blackburn 1-1 arsenal in the 81st minute

terry almost equalizes....coming up on HT now at anfield, and in blackburn, arsenal are running out of time

lots of cards in blackburn, and arsenal leave with just a point, despite blackburn ending with 10 men

Lampard equalizes from the penalty spot. Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea 67th minute
sounds like a really bad decision

and now the ref gives either essien or ben haim their second yellow....yet fails to send them off. WHAT THE FUCK! the ref has given this game to chelsea

Crouch is on....let's get some Crouchodinho magic!

FT Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea

absolute bullshit penalty for chelsea. complete travesty from the ref

JCK: I merged all your live commentary posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)