[ENG] Premiership 2007/2008 (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
f*cking hell man city win 2-0 and the fans think sven is god already, and this is just 1 game in, and they all think champions league is a realistic target, f*cking hell i cant wait to see the rest of their season just flop away. would love to see man utd batter the sh*t out of city and bring them back to reality

only in england do you get this arrogance, only in england
I don't know what your problem with Sven is. He was a great manager in Italy and what he did with Lazio was stunning. With England he didn't do shit because nobody can win with that side... nobody.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Actually he did do shit. He took them to a couple quarter finals and did not miss out on any major torunament. That's a great record for a team that mediocre.

Turns out 1-1 away to Sunderland might not have been such a disgrace after all.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Actually he did do shit. He took them to a couple quarter finals and did not miss out on any major torunament. That's a great record for a team that mediocre.

Turns out 1-1 away to Sunderland might not have been such a disgrace after all.
:shifty:

Are you saying that England has mediocre players?

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
I don't know what your problem with Sven is. He was a great manager in Italy and what he did with Lazio was stunning. With England he didn't do shit because nobody can win with that side... nobody.
i dno about you but a squad with the calibre of england's strenth, quarter finals is rather pathetic, his tactics at the last world cup was heavily scrutinised by the pundits for the lack of mobility of the midfielders in comparison to argentina's and italy's. i think alot of sven's success rides alot with the huge ammount of money he's spent with clubs like lazio in particular. but i say sven will underachieve this season, thats my bet

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Correct

And the other guy is right Andy. England did suck before and after Eriksson.
In Euro 2000 they were eliminated in the groups and now they are struggling to win the second place in the group. They are 4 place behind Croatia, Israel and Russia.
In Eriksson time they never missed a big tournament and they they were never outplayed. In 2002 they were eliminated by super Brazil who became champions, in 2004 and 2006 they were eliminated on penalties.

English national team sucks, even with superstars in the team, but Eriksson was doing solid with that team. Better than this McClaren and better than the coaches before Eriksson, Hoddle and Keagan.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Correct

And the other guy is right Andy. England did suck before and after Eriksson.
In Euro 2000 they were eliminated in the groups and now they are struggling to win the second place in the group. They are 4 place behind Croatia, Israel and Russia.
In Eriksson time they never missed a big tournament and they they were never outplayed. In 2002 they were eliminated by super Brazil who became champions, in 2004 and 2006 they were eliminated on penalties.

English national team sucks, even with superstars in the team, but Eriksson was doing solid with that team. Better than this McClaren and better than the coaches before Eriksson, Hoddle and Keagan.
its not so much what he achieved or didnt, the fact is sven probably had the best england squad thats ever existed, and in that entire time he relied too heavily on beckham to supply, gerrard and lampard to work together without realising that he needed a destroyer in midfield someone like scott parker who tbh i never quite understood why he was always overlooked, i just generally think his tactics are boring along with the style of play, i mean he had a midfield that alot of managers would envy and they were so static it was unbelievable, a very uncharismatic person, who brings alot of controversy with his off pitch life

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
its not so much what he achieved or didnt, the fact is sven probably had the best england squad thats ever existed, and in that entire time he relied too heavily on beckham to supply, gerrard and lampard to work together without realising that he needed a destroyer in midfield someone like scott parker who tbh i never quite understood why he was always overlooked, i just generally think his tactics are boring along with the style of play, i mean he had a midfield that alot of managers would envy and they were so static it was unbelievable, a very uncharismatic person, who brings alot of controversy with his off pitch life
But look at their new manager. He also has super midfield, he even dumped Beckham at the beggining, and his results are even worse so far. Maybe its not so much the manager that should be blamed for the failures as the players should be blamed.

But who cares. I wish them many more quarterfinals and not even one semifinal in the next 30 years :D

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
But look at their new manager. He also has super midfield, he even dumped Beckham at the beggining, and his results are even worse so far. Maybe its not so much the manager that should be blamed for the failures as the players should be blamed.

But who cares. I wish them many more quarterfinals and not even one semifinal in the next 30 years :D
dumping beckham prob wasnt such a bad idea, but its their persistance and insistance in playing both gerrard and lampard, convinced that they can work together, and they've been saying that for what? 6 years now? and still they dont work, o well i wish them more unsucess because it makes me happy :)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
So Gerrard wins the match for Liverpool with a stunning freekick with only 4 minutes left. I'll tell you what, Gerrard might be the world's best player this coming season. If he stays healthy I think that could be a possibility.
It shouldn't have been a freekick, he only got it cos he turned and screamed at the ref.

Gerrard is probably already the most complete footballer in the world.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
It shouldn't have been a freekick, he only got it cos he turned and screamed at the ref.

Gerrard is probably already the most complete footballer in the world.
jees aston villa bore the shit out of me they are just so... mediocre and dull. but yes it was never a free kick quite outragous how u can run into a player and claim a free kick without the defender having the chance to get out of his way. really the refs should be more professional as not learn to ignore the player's or crowd's cries and to trust his own instinct and with the ref being 5 yrds out either his instinct was sh*t or he actually wanted to put aston villa out of their misery and give liverpool the chance to snatch it, liverpool deserved the win

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
jees aston villa bore the shit out of me they are just so... mediocre and dull. but yes it was never a free kick quite outragous how u can run into a player and claim a free kick without the defender having the chance to get out of his way. really the refs should be more professional as not learn to ignore the player's or crowd's cries and to trust his own instinct and with the ref being 5 yrds out either his instinct was sh*t or he actually wanted to put aston villa out of their misery and give liverpool the chance to snatch it, liverpool deserved the win
No doubt Liverpool deserved to win.

I've never been able to stand Martin O'Neil, either as a person or his tactics sine his Celtic days. Just packs his teams out with 5 in midfield, mix of big guys and hard workers with as little creativity as possible. A bit like half the teams in the premiership really.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
i wanted to bring up the point on the comparisons in pace in the way teams in england play to those in italy. i had pointed out in todays game against roma the immense pace and tempo it was played at compared to most of the games i watched in the prem today, i mean thats just an example, but im finding that the italian league has recently started to open up in the past few yrs, i mean teams are going forward more and at such pace, such as milan and by the looks of it even juve, in the past we've seen zeman's attacking and pace mentality shown with lecce, whilst in recent years the prem i feel has really slowed down with the foreign manager's influence to defend alot more, though perhaps dont close down as well as they do in italy. what do the rest of you guys think? is it true that the italian league being branded as slow paced now just a myth?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Villa maybe boring, but they have a lot of speed up top and for some reason Pool never seem to do well against them. Anyway it was good to see my boys start off with a win. I thought Torres was only ok and Kuyt was better but the most exciting moments came from Babel playing on the right. He showed massive potential today.
As for the free kick, I think it was given because Petrov had pulled "the fall in front of Liverpool player because I just got beaten" defense one too many times. As for the placement of the kick, it was perfect.:pint:

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Villa maybe boring, but they have a lot of speed up top and for some reason Pool never seem to do well against them. Anyway it was good to see my boys start off with a win. I thought Torres was only ok and Kuyt was better but the most exciting moments came from Babel playing on the right. He showed massive potential today.
As for the free kick, I think it was given because Petrov had pulled "the fall in front of Liverpool player because I just got beaten" defense one too many times. As for the placement of the kick, it was perfect.:pint:
yes they do have pace upfront inparticular ashley young who i admire alot especially in his watford days, but he seems to be half that player that once captured my imagination now.

torres, deary me when liverpool signed him i had my doubts that for 26 mill he couldnt score more than 14 goals if that, and today perhaps might just prove me right, he should of easily had a goal of 2 especially that 1 on 1 for 26 mill i expect a striker to slot that home, but let see what the rest of the season has in stall for him, but if i was a liverpool fan id be a little discouraged by his performance today

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
i wanted to bring up the point on the comparisons in pace in the way teams in england play to those in italy. i had pointed out in todays game against roma the immense pace and tempo it was played at compared to most of the games i watched in the prem today, i mean thats just an example, but im finding that the italian league has recently started to open up in the past few yrs, i mean teams are going forward more and at such pace, such as milan and by the looks of it even juve, in the past we've seen zeman's attacking and pace mentality shown with lecce, whilst in recent years the prem i feel has really slowed down with the foreign manager's influence to defend alot more, though perhaps dont close down as well as they do in italy. what do the rest of you guys think? is it true that the italian league being branded as slow paced now just a myth?
I think its all relative to the teams that are playing. Juve and Roma are two great teams who compete year in and year out for Serie A dominance. Therefore they are more likely to go at each other, especially early on when there is nothing to lose. But take a bottom table team with everything to lose and youll most likely get a slow pace defensive game. The same could be said for any league. What I think is happening is that teams are tailoring their tactics based on their opponents, their position in the league, and the competition (FA Cup/Copa Italia). Though the pace of the game may be changing in different leagues, I thinks its the prospective styles that provide the uniqueness in each league.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
I think its all relative to the teams that are playing. Juve and Roma are two great teams who compete year in and year out for Serie A dominance. Therefore they are more likely to go at each other, especially early on when there is nothing to lose. But take a bottom table team with everything to lose and youll most likely get a slow pace defensive game. The same could be said for any league. What I think is happening is that teams are tailoring their tactics based on their opponents, their position in the league, and the competition (FA Cup/Copa Italia). Though the pace of the game may be changing in different leagues, I thinks its the prospective styles that provide the uniqueness in each league.

i just wana take out what you said about juve and roma likely to go at each other, and compare that with chelsea and man utd playing each other, whenever ive seen the 2 play each other its usually a fairly dull affair especially the fa cup final fixture it was very slow paced, but the point im making is that the italian league seems to be moving away from the catenaccio style keeping its disciplined defence still, but quicker going forwards, however in england im finding it more of a stale mate league , by the looks of it it seems to be because of the foreign influences in england, and to be honest the only team in england i think that actually plays with any real pace is arsenal and by the looks of it now man utd. whereby ive noticed that roma,inter, lecce(in the past) milan, even palermo at times and by the looks of it now, juve seem to play with more flair

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
i just wana take out what you said about juve and roma likely to go at each other, and compare that with chelsea and man utd playing each other, whenever ive seen the 2 play each other its usually a fairly dull affair especially the fa cup final fixture it was very slow paced, but the point im making is that the italian league seems to be moving away from the catenaccio style keeping its disciplined defence still, but quicker going forwards, however in england im finding it more of a stale mate league , by the looks of it it seems to be because of the foreign influences in england, and to be honest the only team in england i think that actually plays with any real pace is arsenal and by the looks of it now man utd. whereby ive noticed that roma,inter, lecce(in the past) milan, even palermo at times and by the looks of it now, juve seem to play with more flair
I also said it depends on what the teams are playing for. And the Juve v. Roma match was a friendly. I can agree with what you say to a point, but Inter v. Milan will alway be a slow match as will Chelsea v. Liverpool. Even though Milan v. Capliari may be much more pacey as would Chelsea v. Birmingham. I think its hard to say where the leagues are headed this early in the season, but I do agree that some teams are changing.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
I also said it depends on what the teams are playing for. And the Juve v. Roma match was a friendly. I can agree with what you say to a point, but Inter v. Milan will alway be a slow match as will Chelsea v. Liverpool. Even though Milan v. Capliari may be much more pacey as would Chelsea v. Birmingham. I think its hard to say where the leagues are headed this early in the season, but I do agree that some teams are changing.
well if that was a friendly i cant wait for the proper showdown

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
"Pace of the game", and "attacking-ness" are artificial words created by English journalist, who wanted to dupe world audience into buying their league, despite its "shitti-ness" in mid 90s.

Why? A lot of good teams in Italia played 4-3-3 formation in 90s. Lippi played it. Zeman, obviously did. And you won't believe this, but Trap too played 4-3-3 when he was managing Juve. Nevio Scala's Parma played 5 at the back, but no team in the Europe played such fluidity and pace like his team did. Parma was easily the most exciting team in Europe when Scala was the manager. But then agin not all teams can boast likes of Antonio Bennarrivo and Minotti at their back. Sacchi virtually invented modern style by pressing teams from the midfield, and utilizing off-side rule to their advantage. I don't know the tacticial fad in England those days, but I bet 99.9% of their manager stuck with solid but rigid 4-4-2 formation.

Just for a record, Zeman didnt go gung-ho with Lecce. The man's career is built on attacking 4-3-3 formation eversince he did remarkable things at Foggia with Pepi Signori. You cant teach old dog a new trick.

I don't care too much about EPL. But I will make some predictons anyway.

Winners: Chelski
Runners-Up: ManUre
CL: Liverpool, Tottenham
UEFA: Newcastle, Arsenal
FA: Liverpool
Relegation: Derby, Middlesborough, Fulham

Player of the year: Gerrard
Top Goal-scorer: Martins
Manager of the year: Sam Allardyce (Spelling?)

I am not too sure about Gerrard being the best player in the world this year, since I expect a monster season from Leo Messi and Zlatan, who are more talented IMO, but Gerrard is a great choice having a great season with Liverpool being more competitive this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)