[EN] Premier League 2005/06 (3 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
SWP joins Chelsea
by Adam Marshall - 18.07.2005

Shaun Wright-Phillips has signed for Chelsea on a five-year contract.

The Manchester City winger quickly tied up the loose ends of his £21 million switch to London after arriving at Stamford Bridge with his adopted father Ian Wright and agent Mitchell Thomas.

City agreed to the transfer after the England international sought permission to speak to the Premiership champions and Chelsea upped their bid for his services.

Although Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger would have dearly loved to bring Wright-Phillips to Highbury, Chelsea have secured another major capture.

"We're delighted that Shaun has joined us," chief executive Peter Kenyon told Chelsea's official website. "He'll be a fantastic asset to the team and squad.

"This carries on the Chelsea policy of investing in young, top English talent."

Wright-Phillips will be pushing for a place in Sven Goran Eriksson's England squad for next year's World Cup finals, providing the team clinches their place in Germany, but he appreciates it will be difficult to become a regular under Jose Mourinho.

"I never expected to be in anywhere and walk into any team, to be honest with you," he informed Chelsea's site.

"Competition is just healthy really and will help make me a better player.

"I just want to try and get some medals and be a regular part of the team."

planetfootball.com
this was going to happen sonner or later:down:.great signing for Chelsea.SWP is defenitly one of the best right wingers in europe.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Didier Drogba has questioned Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho's tactics after scoring only 10 goals in his first season for the Premiership champions.
And the Ivory Coast striker, who joined the Blues from Marseille for £24m, also claims he did not get the credit he deserved for the role he played.

He told The People: "We'll see whether any other great striker will defend like a maniac as I did last season.

"I sacrificed myself for the whole team while forgetting my scoring figures."

Drogba could find his place in the Blues starting line-up under threat with the return of Hernan Crespo from a season-long loan at AC Milan.

But the forward added: "I'll try thinking more about me next season so that I don't finish 15 goals behind Thierry Henry again."

However, it was Mourinho's approach to many games that surprised Drogba.

He continued: "I did think that I would spend less time running about after the ball.

"I do have reservations about our game, especially in the second half of the season.

"The only way we played was with long balls towards me, but I prefer playing football with people putting the ball at my feet."

Drogba also believes his selfless efforts helped midfielders Frank Lampard and Joe Cole have such good seasons.

"I sacrificed myself in the interests of Chelsea and made Lampard and Cole shine," he claimed.

Despite his dig at Mourinho's tactics, Drogba says he still enjoys a good relationship with him.

"We can talk frankly without any problems and he has total confidence in me," he continued.

"He showed that last season - I was always in the starting line-up and he has always supported me.

"The criticism I've had brought us closer together and he knows what I have brought to the team."

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
well the problem now,is Baptista wants to stay in spain for one more year,in order to obtain an EU Passport.so i assume it has fallen through.

btw,didnt Mascherrano join Corinthians?
Yes, AFAIK Mascherano signed for Corinthians. As for Baptista, I'm hearing that Tottenham have made a bid for him.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
this was going to happen sonner or later:down:.great signing for Chelsea.SWP is defenitly one of the best right wingers in europe.
Mourinho now has a pleasant problem to deal with; choosing between SWP, Robben, Duff and Joe Cole.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Yes, AFAIK Mascherano signed for Corinthians. As for Baptista, I'm hearing that Tottenham have made a bid for him.
yes Tottenham did make a bid for him,larger than Arsenal's bid actually,but like i said before Baptista is staying in Spain this season.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Mourinho now has a pleasant problem to deal with; choosing between SWP, Robben, Duff and Joe Cole.
Joe Cole never got enough playing time,and now that SWP joined Chelsea,thats only going to worsen.IMO Cole should move elsewhere this season if he wants to participate in Germany.i remember the time when he was it West Ham,when Joe Cole was the next big thing and Lampard was no more than an ordinary player:D

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004

One that will eventally see 1 or 2 of them leave cause they are getting enough games.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Joe Cole's my favourite player in Chelsea, I've followed him since his West Ham days when he played alongside Lampard and Carrick and was the star of the show.

There are few English players I like, and Cole's one of them.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++
Joe Cole's my favourite player in Chelsea, I've followed him since his West Ham days when he played alongside Lampard and Carrick and was the star of the show.

There are few English players I like, and Cole's one of them.
Too bad his place in the team is in big threat.

vedder

Jun 18, 2003
I don't think Drogba can blame Mourinho for the chances he missed though...
drogba has pace, power, great head game but he as few skills. he has to improve that.

and he has to learn how to shut up. mourinho hates this kind of interviews........

Darin

Sep 8, 2002
Mourinho should learn to shut himself first :D

n i dont c y should Joe Cole thank mourinho, he didnt even give him enough playin time

vedder

Jun 18, 2003
before mourinho arrival mas named as a "1 of biggest desapointment of the past years" but with mourinho he´s reached NATIONAL TEAM, and know everyone recognize him as a great player. he didn´t get much time because until half a season he was not doing what mourinho told him............defend and atack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)