Emre Can (28 Viewers)

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Is that Joe Rogan?

Didn't see this game, but the Can from start of the season was better than the one from Atalanta game. To be expected. Yet to play much after returning from a med-term injury/illness.

But imperfect decision-making was there before. Him and Bentancur.

Don't think anyone expected him to be WC but clearly better than Khedira. And players just bounce off him. Someone else other than Matuidi in our team who can win balls and hound players.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
If Can and Benta can focus more, stop being wasteful in possession, and one of them can actually get into better attacking positions and become a better decision maker in the final third, our midfield would be epic.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
You are missing the point, he would not play in their current squad.

Tbh, i know a lot of Pool supporters and something i found very alarming was that noone of them seemed the slightest of concern when Can was leaving them.

On the contrary a lot of them were actually kind of relieved as they saw him as someone holding their team back and was looking forward to sign Naby Keita (which to me also, is a much more dynamic and useful player).

When I spoke to them they listed several points and mentioned why they felt it was right to let him go:

1: Concentration: he makes simple mistakes and misplaces passes that leads to counter attack.

2: Decision making: he is a ball winner but a terrible distributor of the ball. not ideal.

3: Attitude, he often spends time arguing with the refs and carries a negative vibe onto the pitch. He makes rash challenges and often gets booked.

This is not something that cant be developed and fixed, but from what i have seen im also not very impressed by him. Maybe thats my personal bias, but i cant see him do anything more than a squad filling role here at most.:think:

That said , i hope he will improve and prove me wrong.
They invested 130mln in Fabinho and Keita. I also know a LFC supporter and he wasn't crying for Can neither. However, he wasn't too happy losing him for free. It's the same for us, as a free agent or even including the sign on fee and his relatively hefty salary it was a good deal. Clearly the club decised to put faith in young players like Can and Bentancur to flourish. It was a risky decision but still, they have proven and very experienced midfielders like Matuidi, Khedira and Pjanic next to them. Emre and Bentancur (especially after a successful World Cup) aren't anonymous neither. It's true we didn't invest in midfield but we did bring Ronaldo and Cancelo, two excellent signings. We also brought back Bonucci and did not sell any of our starters. Have some common sense. Obviously it would be perfect if we also brought Modric and Pogba/SMS but it doesn't mean it was possible.

Wysłane z mojego FRD-L09 przy użyciu Tapatalka

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Is that Joe Rogan?

Didn't see this game, but the Can from start of the season was better than the one from Atalanta game. To be expected. Yet to play much after returning from a med-term injury/illness.

But imperfect decision-making was there before. Him and Bentancur.

Don't think anyone expected him to be WC but clearly better than Khedira. And players just bounce off him. Someone else other than Matuidi in our team who can win balls and hound players.
Yup

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
You are missing the point, he would not play in their current squad.

Tbh, i know a lot of Pool supporters and something i found very alarming was that noone of them seemed the slightest of concern when Can was leaving them.

On the contrary a lot of them were actually kind of relieved as they saw him as someone holding their team back and was looking forward to sign Naby Keita (which to me also, is a much more dynamic and useful player).

When I spoke to them they listed several points and mentioned why they felt it was right to let him go:

1: Concentration: he makes simple mistakes and misplaces passes that leads to counter attack.

2: Decision making: he is a ball winner but a terrible distributor of the ball. not ideal.

3: Attitude, he often spends time arguing with the refs and carries a negative vibe onto the pitch. He makes rash challenges and often gets booked.

This is not something that cant be developed and fixed, but from what i have seen im also not very impressed by him. Maybe thats my personal bias, but i cant see him do anything more than a squad filling role here at most.:think:

That said , i hope he will improve and prove me wrong.
To think some said here in the summer that can would complete our midfield is absurd. If anything this midfield craves a pogba or Milinkovic Savic

GiocataGrande

Commendatore
May 26, 2016
They invested 130mln in Fabinho and Keita. I also know a LFC supporter and he wasn't crying for Can neither. However, he wasn't too happy losing him for free. It's the same for us, as a free agent or even including the sign on fee and his relatively hefty salary it was a good deal. Clearly the club decised to put faith in young players like Can and Bentancur to flourish. It was a risky decision but still, they have proven and very experienced midfielders like Matuidi, Khedira and Pjanic next to them. Emre and Bentancur (especially after a successful World Cup) aren't anonymous neither. It's true we didn't invest in midfield but we did bring Ronaldo and Cancelo, two excellent signings. We also brought back Bonucci and did not sell any of our starters. Have some common sense. Obviously it would be perfect if we also brought Modric and Pogba/SMS but it doesn't mean it was possible.

Wysłane z mojego FRD-L09 przy użyciu Tapatalka
I agree on most of the other points you mention here, but you are still directing the question towards other factors here and not focusing on the actual ability of the player which is in question. I dont need excuses for why it was defendable to invest in him when it is clearly obvious that he is below what should be our standard, tbh its even debatable that he indeed would improve over Khedira, the only thing he has going for him is his age and that he was "Free".

I have a very hard time seeing him as something more than a benchworthy player at our club. Especially now that we have started to make actual progress on a bigger scale , and not just dominate a poor league in Serie A, that has been the shadow of itself since the 1990's.

Our ambition deserves better

- - - Updated - - -

To think some said here in the summer that can would complete our midfield is absurd. If anything this midfield craves a pogba or Milinkovic Savic
Lol, Can will never "complete" any midfield. the guy is past the "talent" stage, what we see now is more or less the finished product.

Sure, players can improve and develop but its fairly easy to see that he does not posess any extraordinary ability with the ball and has a fairly limited toolbox as a player.

This "potential" is all very limited to be perfectly honest.

Edgar Davids was around the same age when we bought him, and noone needed a lot of reassurance..... just saying.

Last edited:

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
I agree on most of the other points you mention here, but you are still directing the question towards other factors here and not focusing on the actual ability of the player which is in question. I dont need excuses for why it was defendable to invest in him when it is clearly obvious that he is below what should be our standard, tbh its even debatable that he indeed would improve over Khedira, the only thing he has going for him is his age and that he was "Free".

I have a very hard time seeing him as something more than a benchworthy player at our club. Especially now that we have started to make actual progress on a bigger scale , and not just dominate a poor league in Serie A, that has been the shadow of itself since the 1990's.

Our ambition deserves better

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, Can will never "complete" any midfield. the guy is past the "talent" stage, what we see now is more or less the finished product.

Sure, players can improve and develop but its fairly easy to see that he does not posess any extraordinary ability with the ball and has a fairly limited toolbox as a player.

This "potential" is all very limited to be perfectly honest.

Edgar Davids was around the same age when we bought him, and noone needed a lot of reassurance..... just saying.
I am not looking at him as a savior of our midfield. However, what makes you say that "he is below what should be our standard"? If I'm not mistaken the last Deloitte report showed our revenue to be only a half of the teams like Madrid, Barcelona, United, Bayern and significantly smaller than Arsenal, Chelsea, City etc. Our standard is more like Liverpool who financed Fabinho and Keita by Coutinho.

Ronaldo is one of the very rare examples when we invested heavily in a player. However, his transfer cannot be compared to any other obviously. As we heard from the board and CR's entourage the negotiations began after our tie with Madrid in 1/4 which has surely affected our transfer strategy for the summer. Since we found out about the gentleman's agreement he had with Madrid regarding the 100mln transfer fee our transfer budget for other targets shrinked drastically and mind you we still bought Cancelo. And please don't tell me that everything changed after CR transfer because we are still restricted by FFP, just look at the issues PSG and City are having.

Our last couple of mercatos were financed by sales of other players. So whom we should have sold to finance a midfielder acquisition? Your opinion is totally detached from reality as nothing was indicating an investment in midfield. Actually the Can opportunity was a blessing for us. Imagine you're Paratici and have 100 mln to spend while the team is in a need of a midfielder. Then you are informed that Cristiano Ronaldo is available for 100mln. You can spend 80mln on Naby Keita who has only played in Red Bull and is a risky investment or get Emre Can for free and buy Ronaldo. Make your choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)