Egypt: from 2011 demonstrations to today (12 Viewers)

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
what rebel posted regarding people getting text messages from the egyptain military is confirmed now and there is a statement from the military in a little bit.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
i honestly dont know bro, at first i was excited about baradei but for some reason i hated how he jumped on this i dont know may be its just me. amro moussa is a very respect person and highly rated. also the people love him a great deal. what do u have against him?? its the first time i meet some one who does'nt like him :D
Got nothing against him really, just thought he's Mubarak's puppet. Plus, I don't like his speeches and his close relations with other Arab dictators makes everything about him suspicious.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
So that USA and other Arab allies can have someone to rely on from inside. I just don't trust the guy, but who am I kidding? I'm not an Egyptian, they know him best.
In terms of trust, Baradei and Moussa are doubtful in that they could both potentially be Western stooges. Though I'd say Baradei probably has a touch more credibility.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
What is the problem if the new president is an US ally? Is that a problem at all for the Egyptians?
I know what's, for example, Rebel's problem, but I'm interested in the Egyptian view.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
What is the problem if the new president is an US ally? Is that a problem at all for the Egyptians?
I know what's, for example, Rebel's problem, but I'm interested in the Egyptian view.
There is nothing in principle with the Egyptian president being a US ally - the issue lies in the fact that Mubarak was a massive US ally and the US was happy with him completely oppressing the people as long he acted in a manner that pushed the US agenda forward in the Middle East. The people in Egypt and the Middle East in general know that the US cares not for its allies, it simply uses puppets, such as Saddam (till he turned), Mubarak and Ben Ali to further its regional interests with complete disregard for the people.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but when it comes to US interests in Egypt it all has something to do with protecting a small European country posing as a Middle Eastern one.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
There is nothing in principle with the Egyptian president being a US ally
Aha, thanks.

Egypt's importance is too huge for a world power not to be interested in having control there. No world power, be it the Roman empire in the past, USA today or China tomorrow, wasn't or won't be interested in having control in Egypt and accept someone who isn't obedient to run that particular country.
So imo the Egyptians don't really need to think about the negatives of being an US ally as much as they need to think about the negative aspects of not being an US ally when they choose the new leader.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Aha, thanks.

Egypt's importance is too huge for a world power not to be interested in having control there. No world power, be it the Roman empire in the past, USA today or China tomorrow, wasn't or won't be interested in having control in Egypt and accept someone who isn't obedient to run that particular country.
So imo the Egyptians don't really need to think about the negatives of being an US ally as much as they need to think about the negative aspects of not being an US ally when they choose the new leader.
It is only natural as you say for the US constantly try and exert its control in the Middle East.

But the US won't be around forever - it will probably never economically recover from its fall and as such it may start pulling it military out of many parts of the world - it may even collapse like the Soviet Union, a completely unexpected event at the time.

No problem, be a US ally, it's not the problem. The problem is being a submissive and subordinate ally, meaning that you are unable to ever stand on your own two feet. Mubarak has made Egypt completely subordinate. This is what the people dislike.

A good example of an ally is Turkey - it is a US Nato ally yet it is constantly trying to break out of the shackles of complete US control and has had some degree of success to date.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Aha, thanks.

Btw my post was meant to say "There is nothing wrong in principle with the Egyptian president being a US ally"

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Should be no problem with an US ally, but that would entail a choice, a democratically elected head of state choosing to ally the countries interests with another to boths mutual benifite. But what has happend since Sadat isnt ally, but puppet, and a puppet unlike an ally, only looks for the interest of the puppeteer and his own, not the country he is running.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,319
    From The Guardian:

Utter deflation mixed with intense anger is the order of the day in Tahrir – the square has witnessed plenty of mood swings over the past 17 days, but this has to be the most devastating so far.

Central Cairo was gearing up for the Arab world's biggest street party and instead it got yet another slice of Mubarak paternalism, the sort of staid nationalistic rhetoric that most people here tired of many moons ago.

Some protesters are marching now on Maspero, the state TV and radio building, but the real energy looks set to be channeled into Friday's rally, which was already set to be large and now looks likely to be even larger. Right now those not chanting in fury are huddled into groups discussing what the president's speech really means. Many are hoping that the army will mount a coup overnight. "There has to be a rift," one told me. "The military can't stand by, after everything they've promised, and watch this regime stubbornly drag Egypt to the ground."

Others are pointing out that each of Mubarak's previous speeches has been accompanied by a visible crackdown on activists, journalists and protesters the following day, and they believe tomorrow could turn ugly. Many are suggesting that tonight's address could be a deliberate ploy to goad demonstrators into violence, thus justifying a police or military assault on Tahrir.

True or not, it's clear that through his refusal to step down Mubarak has left many prominent figures with egg on their faces - from President Obama to Hossam Badrawi, the ruling NDP's party secretary-general - and with all the talk of malign foreign forces at work, it appears this increasingly desperate regime is planning to cling on until the bitter end. Tahrir Square, though, is not going anywhere.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,320
    Responding to the Worst Speech Ever

It's hard to exaggerate how bad Hosni Mubarak's speech today was for Egypt. In the extended runup to his remarks, every sign indicated that he planned to announce his resignation: the military's announcement that it had taken control, the shift in state television coverage, a steady stream of leaks about the speech. With the whole world watching, Mubarak instead offered a meandering, confused speech promising vague Constitutional changes and defiance of foreign pressure. He offered a vaguely worded delegation of power to Vice President Omar Suleiman, long after everyone in Egypt had stopped listening. It is virtually impossible to conceive of a more poorly conceived or executed speech.

Omar Suleiman's televised address which followed made things even worse, if that's possible, telling the people to go home and blaming al-Jazeera for the problems. It solidified the already deep distrust of his role among most of the opposition and of the protestors, and tied his fate to that of Mubarak. Even potentially positive ideas in their speeches, such as Constitutional amendments, were completely drowned out by their contemptuous treatment of popular demands. Things could get ugly tonight --- and if things don't explode now, then the crowds tomorrow will be absolutely massive. Whatever happens, for better or for worse, the prospects of an orderly, negotiated transition led by Omar Suleiman have just plummeted sharply.

I don't think anyone really knows how things will break in the next 12-36 hours. It seems pretty clear that most people, from the Obama administration to Egyptian government and opposition leaders, expected Mubarak to announce his departure tonight -- and that they had good reasons to believe that. That turned out to be wrong. As I just mentioned on the BBC, I don't think anybody knows what's going on inside Mubarak's head right now, though he certainly seems out of touch with what is really going on. I suspect that his decision may have changed from earlier in the day, and that people inside the Egyptian military and regime are themselves scrambling to figure out their next move. If the military has any plans to step in this would be a good time -- especially after the military's communique #1 seemed to suggest that it was breaking in the other direction.

Obama doesn't have a lot of great options right now. Its policy of steadily mounting private and public pressure to force Mubarak to leave, and for his successor to begin a meaningful transition to real democratic change, seems to have almost worked. But for now seems to have foundered on Mubarak's obstinance. The administration, which is conferring even as I wrote this, can't be silent in the face of Mubarak and Suleiman's disastrous decision. It needs to continue to pound on its message that it demands that a real transition begin immediately, and to do whatever it can to make that happen now... even if its leverage remains limited. It should express its sharp disappointment with what it heard today, and continue to push the military to avoid using violence in the tense hours to come. Mubarak's speech today, with its frequent references to foreign pressure, poses a direct challenge to Obama (and also suggests how much pressure he was in fact receiving). Those who are suggesting that Obama wanted Mubarak to stay are nuts. Now it's time to double down on the push for an orderly transition to real democracy before it's too late --- and that is now.

http://lynch.foreignpolicy.com/post..._ever?sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4d547ab2c4f4910a,0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)