Edin Džeko - Wolfsburg - ST (20 Viewers)

Want him?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Only one thing, the point that Džeko wasnt scoring regularly before he joined Wolfsburg isnt really a strong one. He played for Teplice in the Czech league and was just a kid that joined them for Željezničar. He scored 8 goals in his first season for Wolfsburg even tho he wasnt a starter and in his second season in Wolfsbug, when he matured a bit and got used to the country and the league and became a starter in the team he scored his 30+ goals.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
That's not a great way to assess whether a player will be a success or not, remember Diego? He came off a stellar season with Werder & that didn't work out well, albeit for various factors. There are many examples i could make so lets avoid using that as a point.If we shouldn't sign players that are off form, why did we sign Aquilani? Weird how he proved his doubters wrong so far. Benzema is the safer option imo because it's a loan. If it doesn't work out, thanks for coming & goodbye.If we buy Dzeko & he flops, that's 40m down the drain.

Dzeko's scoring ratio was poor prior to joining Wolfsburg, check his stats if you don't believe me.Benzema too had poor stats before his last two seasons for Lyon but bare in mind he had major competition to contend with. Lyon were the unstoppable force back then & Benzema had to contend with a bench role.The same could be said for his international record. The man had to deal with Domenech & compete for a starting spot with strikers like Anelka, Henry etc, now compare that to Dzeko. The man has a guaranteed starting spot for Bosnia.

Let me remind you lot that Dzeko hasn't been scoring 30+ goals every season, it's only been two seasons in a row, so id on't know where this whole thing about him scoring consistently every season.

It boils down to money. Dzeko would cost 35/40m, Benzema would set us back 20/25m, now that would leave us with extra money to spend on our defense that needs extra attention.It's not like there's a HUGE gap in quality between the two strikers, please, it's not like Benzema hasn't got an eye for goal.
Its really not as complicated as that though. Its simple comparison. Benz like Dzeko had a 2 good seasons with Lyon and even though they were dominant it was still in Lique 1. When he got to Real he couldn't hack the competition - that's not an excuse, that's testimony to his being a flop (Aquilani by the way is hardly a good comparison. His season at Liverpool was marred by long term injury, he barely played).

Dzeko is almost the opposite. He started in a Czech league and at the time would have been only 19 or 20. As soon as he got to Wolfsburg he matured into his role and stepped up. If you want to talk stats then Dzeko is superior to Benz. Benz too had only two impressive goal scoring seasons at Lyon with 32 and 23. His past two seasons at a bigger club? 9 last season and now 6 this season with his recent hatrick. While Dzeko in the past 3 season is at 36, 29 and now 8 barely half way through the season and thats in what looks like a team which is really struggling this year.

The difference between the two statistically isn't all that vast, but Dzeko is scoring now. He has the confidence and momentum now. Benz is low on confidence and we all have seen what that can do to a striker when they can't score goals.

Stats aside though. Dzeko is still the type of striker we need. Watch our games this season and see how many missed opportunities we've had. Virtually all our draws have been due to poor finishing. We have a perfectly good SS in Quag but are missing a simple finishing CF. Amauri and Iaquinta aren't nearly good enough. Dzeko is the EXACT type of player we need, Benzema is not.

Money is important to buying a left wing and full backs. But even though we're not complete in defense and midfield, our attack is our most urgent priority and short cuts IMO aren't worth it. I don't deny that Benzema is a good striker and may return to form with a different club, but he's still a risk given his past two seasons and he's not the sort of striker we need right now.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Neymar & Suarez interest me a lot, Suarez being a more realistic target.

Dude that deal wasn't a confirmed deal, i just suggested it in the wishlist thread.:D

That's not a great way to assess whether a player will be a success or not, remember Diego? He came off a stellar season with Werder & that didn't work out well, albeit for various factors. There are many examples i could make so lets avoid using that as a point.If we shouldn't sign players that are off form, why did we sign Aquilani? Weird how he proved his doubters wrong so far. Benzema is the safer option imo because it's a loan. If it doesn't work out, thanks for coming & goodbye.If we buy Dzeko & he flops, that's 40m down the drain.

Dzeko's scoring ratio was poor prior to joining Wolfsburg, check his stats if you don't believe me.Benzema too had poor stats before his last two seasons for Lyon but bare in mind he had major competition to contend with. Lyon were the unstoppable force back then & Benzema had to contend with a bench role.The same could be said for his international record. The man had to deal with Domenech & compete for a starting spot with strikers like Anelka, Henry etc, now compare that to Dzeko. The man has a guaranteed starting spot for Bosnia.

Let me remind you lot that Dzeko hasn't been scoring 30+ goals every season, it's only been two seasons in a row, so id on't know where this whole thing about him scoring consistently every season.

It boils down to money. Dzeko would cost 35/40m, Benzema would set us back 20/25m, now that would leave us with extra money to spend on our defense that needs extra attention.It's not like there's a HUGE gap in quality between the two strikers, please, it's not like Benzema hasn't got an eye for goal.
So why ever take a risk on buying a player. Let's just loan every player for now on just in case they flop.

Low risk = results. :tup:

:D

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Only one thing, the point that Džeko wasnt scoring regularly before he joined Wolfsburg isnt really a strong one. He played for Teplice in the Czech league and was just a kid that joined them for Željezničar. He scored 8 goals in his first season for Wolfsburg even tho he wasnt a starter and in his second season in Wolfsbug, when he matured a bit and got used to the country and the league and became a starter in the team he scored his 30+ goals.
Roger that, Z man. :agree:

Thank's for the info.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
It is a strong one because i was highlighting the fact that he wasn't scoring 30+ every season like some Dzeko fans like to point out. I could say the same thing about Benzema, he had two stellar seasons because the Lyon regulars were shipped off & he got his chance.

Its really not as complicated as that though. Its simple comparison. Benz like Dzeko had a 2 good seasons with Lyon and even though they were dominant it was still in Lique 1. When he got to Real he couldn't hack the competition - that's not an excuse, that's testimony to his being a flop (Aquilani by the way is hardly a good comparison. His season at Liverpool was marred by long term injury, he barely played).

Dzeko is almost the opposite. He started in a Czech league and at the time would have been only 19 or 20. As soon as he got to Wolfsburg he matured into his role and stepped up. If you want to talk stats then Dzeko is superior to Benz. Benz too had only two impressive goal scoring seasons at Lyon with 32 and 23. His past two seasons at a bigger club? 9 last season and now 6 this season with his recent hatrick. While Dzeko in the past 3 season is at 36, 29 and now 8 barely half way through the season and thats in what looks like a team which is really struggling this year.

The difference between the two statistically isn't all that vast, but Dzeko is scoring now. He has the confidence and momentum now. Benz is low on confidence and we all have seen what that can do to a striker when they can't score goals.

Stats aside though. Dzeko is still the type of striker we need. Watch our games this season and see how many missed opportunities we've had. Virtually all our draws have been due to poor finishing. We have a perfectly good SS in Quag but are missing a simple finishing CF. Amauri and Iaquinta aren't nearly good enough. Dzeko is the EXACT type of player we need, Benzema is not.

Money is important to buying a left wing and full backs. But even though we're not complete in defense and midfield, our attack is our most urgent priority and short cuts IMO aren't worth it. I don't deny that Benzema is a good striker and may return to form with a different club, but he's still a risk given his past two seasons and he's not the sort of striker we need right now.
That's not true, how many great players didn't get regular playing time because of various issues? Things like attitude, training intensity, coaches being biased.
Stats wise Dzeko is superior because he played in inferior leagues compared to Ligue 1 & the bundesliga, simply put.You can't compare starting out in the czech league as to Ligue 1, not even for a second. There are by far superior players from all over the globe compared to the Czech league.

Thing is you're talking about Dzeko as if he's guaranteed to start scoring goals with ease from the get go. You honestly can't compare playing for Real to Wolfsburg, its laughable. How many WC players have joined them & couldn't cut it? Benzema is gaining ground & he will get back to form, so i don't really see confidence as an issue.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree which striker is EXACTLY the type of player we need, because i seriously doubt Dzeko would replicate the sort of form he's showing at Wolfsburg over here.Benzema is the safer option whether you guys like it or not(loan wise), as i said, if he doesn't perform, fine so be it, pack your bags & say goodbye.Dzeko at 35/40m is not the right player for us because simply put we are not a complete team that can afford to take massive risks like that. If he fails, we would sit with a massive 40m deficit & have to worry about finding somebody or trying to recoup the costs.

Good job Dzeko won't come so no need to discuss. :p
I agree. As i've said before, we win, Hustini loses.:tup:

So why ever take a risk on buying a player. Let's just loan every player for now on just in case they flop.

Low risk = results. :tup:

:D
Low risk=results.:howler:

Like the countless rubbish players we've bought?

Roger that, Z man. :agree:

Thank's for the info.
Fuckface, you could have got that info on wikipedia. Just goes to show what a fake Dzeko fan you are.:disagree:

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
I find it pretty odd some argue that Benzema isn't the right choice because he was :gsol: a flop:gsol: with Madrid. Actually some of our best players in the past 20 years were considered "flops" before joining Juve (Davids, Cannavaro...). No offense to anyone, but that was a lame excuse.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
It is a strong one because i was highlighting the fact that he wasn't scoring 30+ every season like some Dzeko fans like to point out. I could say the same thing about Benzema, he had two stellar seasons because the Lyon regulars were shipped off & he got his chance.

That's not true, how many great players didn't get regular playing time because of various issues? Things like attitude, training intensity, coaches being biased.
Stats wise Dzeko is superior because he played in inferior leagues compared to Ligue 1 & the bundesliga, simply put.You can't compare starting out in the czech league as to Ligue 1, not even for a second. There are by far superior players from all over the globe compared to the Czech league.

Thing is you're talking about Dzeko as if he's guaranteed to start scoring goals with ease from the get go. You honestly can't compare playing for Real to Wolfsburg, its laughable. How many WC players have joined them & couldn't cut it? Benzema is gaining ground & he will get back to form, so i don't really see confidence as an issue.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree which striker is EXACTLY the type of player we need, because i seriously doubt Dzeko would replicate the sort of form he's showing at Wolfsburg over here.Benzema is the safer option whether you guys like it or not(loan wise), as i said, if he doesn't perform, fine so be it, pack your bags & say goodbye.Dzeko at 35/40m is not the right player for us because simply put we are not a complete team that can afford to take massive risks like that. If he fails, we would sit with a massive 40m deficit & have to worry about finding somebody or trying to recoup the costs.
Agree to disagree we shall :dule:

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2008
Nothing thats my point, I can understand he's not happy but his temprement is worrying I must say. We all go on about ego's and attitudes with players and not wanting them at Juve.

All said in jest of course, read some of the shit in the Benzema thread from people doubting him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)