dvd ripping for every [any] one (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Audiobooks, now that's interesting. Read any good ones lately? I'm currently about 1/3 into Don Quixote myself, "read" a few audiobooks in the last few months.
Plenty. I'm on the subway at least 2 hours a day, and if you add my daily workout and misc. time during the day, I listen to my iPod at least 6 hours a day, so I've had plenty of time to do some extra learning these days.

The main topics have been time and money management (Brian Tracy, David Allen and Robert Kiyosaki have some great stuff), public speaking and human communication, and other random things like "Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps" :) I also finished the last unit of Pimsleur's Italian 1 just yesterday. Now to finish Italian 2 and 3 :pint:
I guess :/ I'm taking a new interest in Palermo for obvious reasons. :biggrin:
Hehehe, I was going to post that article on the forums with a smartass thread title, but didn't get around to it :D
EDIT: Handsome collection of classical there. You like Shostakovich?
Not much of an edit, was it :p

Yes I like Shostakovich, though it took me a while to forgive the guy, after some of the nightmares I had when I was learning to play the piano :mad:

btw that's not my collection, that's just what I'm currently downloading :pumpkin:

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #22
    Plenty. I'm on the subway at least 2 hours a day, and if you add my daily workout and misc. time during the day, I listen to my iPod at least 6 hours a day, so I've had plenty of time to do some extra learning these days.
    6 hours? Good lord that would kill me. You teach English right?

The main topics have been time and money management (Brian Tracy, David Allen and Robert Kiyosaki have some great stuff), public speaking and human communication, and other random things like "Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps" :)
    Coolio. How do you feel about learning from stuff like that? Do you actually learn, does it register? I mean when you're on the subway or something, do you have the sufficient focus? I don't think I could do much learning on the go, just reading is okay but.

I also finished the last unit of Pimsleur's Italian 1 just yesterday. Now to finish Italian 2 and 3 :pint:
    :pint: indeed, I started on that myself but it got so boring that I quit :oops: Just couldn't take the conversation when she got off the plane and checked into the hotel blahblah.. :disagree:

Yes I like Shostakovich, though it took me a while to forgive the guy, after some of the nightmares I had when I was learning to play the piano :mad:

btw that's not my collection, that's just what I'm currently downloading :pumpkin:
    Shostakovich is a bit too "modern" for my taste. Decent, but sort of leering in the wrong direction. But if you take Stravinsky or one of the really modern guys, well... it's hard to even call it music.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    6 hours? Good lord that would kill me. You teach English right?
    Yep, teaching English.

The 6 hours isn't a problem at all - I'm constantly listening while I walk around, and it really helps pass the time on the subway and when I'm on the treadmill.

Coolio. How do you feel about learning from stuff like that? Do you actually learn, does it register? I mean when you're on the subway or something, do you have the sufficient focus? I don't think I could do much learning on the go, just reading is okay but.
    I have plenty of focus on the subway, because it's generally very lifeless, and there's not much activity going on that's worth noting. I actually find it registers more than reading, because I find myself getting lost in other thoughts when I'm reading, and I forget where the heck I was on the page.

:pint: indeed, I started on that myself but it got so boring that I quit :oops: Just couldn't take the conversation when she got off the plane and checked into the hotel blahblah.. :disagree:
    Hehe, I'm not upto that part yet. It's okay for me, and I get a big kick out of constructing completely new sentences based on what I've already learned. When they give the cue: "Try to say _________", it's a challenge to put it all together in my head before they give away the answer.

Shostakovich is a bit too "modern" for my taste. Decent, but sort of leering in the wrong direction. But if you take Stravinsky or one of the really modern guys, well... it's hard to even call it music.
    Yeah I get ya; you could say it's all down to one's tastes, but sometimes they push the margin a bit and it's just ergh :disagree:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    So why are you teaching anyway?
    I took a year off uni, and I just wanted to get away from everything. I had a tough year, and I figured a break would help me get things sorted out. As for doing the teaching thing, it's really easy money in Korea, and not very hard work either.
    hehe, do you actually say it out loud tho? :D
    Absolutely. People look at me funny but I really couldn't care less. Practising is the best way to learn/improve, and I'm not going to compromise that to preserve my pride in front of a bunch of people I'm never going to meet again.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #28
    I took a year off uni, and I just wanted to get away from everything. I had a tough year, and I figured a break would help me get things sorted out. As for doing the teaching thing, it's really easy money in Korea, and not very hard work either.
    Oh, I see. So you're back in the place your parents are from or what? Living with family?

Absolutely. People look at me funny but I really couldn't care less. Practising is the best way to learn/improve, and I'm not going to compromise that to preserve my pride in front of a bunch of people I'm never going to meet again.
    Excellent :D I did for a while myself, I would say it out loud as I was walking to school, but every so often someone would pass by and I'd shut up. :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Oh, I see. So you're back in the place your parents are from or what? Living with family?
    Yes and yes. My parents emigrated to Australia before I was born, and we lived together there for 20 years. My parents moved back to Korea for business about 2 years ago, and now I'm living with them until July this year. My brother's also doing an internship in Korea until March, but he's staying in Seoul.
    Excellent :D I did for a while myself, I would say it out loud as I was walking to school, but every so often someone would pass by and I'd shut up. :D
    Hehe, yeah I gotta admit you (not specifically you :p) look like a bit of a tool walking around talking to yourself

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #30
    Oh moved back wow, big change. So you're by yourself in Australia now? Must be a little rough. I mean it's one thing when *you* move, that's what I did, couldn't wait to live Trondheim and the whole small town kind of mindset that goes with it. Not that Utrecht is bigger, it's almost the same size, but Trondheim is so incredibly isolated that it makes you depressed.

But that was my choice, if I were left behind I'm sure it would feel quite different and not as good.

I take it they're still in the flower business?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Oh moved back wow, big change. So you're by yourself in Australia now?
    Actually I said I'm in Korea until July this year. It's 2007 ;) Things have changed a lot recently, it's pretty hectic. Our 2 cousins and their mother have been living in our house for the past year or so, and my parents and I are in their house in Korea, so we basically did a trade.

It'll be a full house when I get back to Korea, but I think their family might leave shortly after I get back, at which point we'll truly be living away from our parents for the first time :oops: Then after my brother graduates he might come back to Korea for work, and then it'll just be me and myself.

I take it they're still in the flower business?
    Oh, that's this whole other story... we actually sold all the orchids to some guy who came and loaded a bunch at a time into his truck every few days, until we were left with 4 square km of empty land :cry:

They moved to Korea to pursue a business with this new technology. In short, I'll describe it as an electromagnet minus the electricity, and a lot more powerful. You turn a switch and you have a strong magnet. Turn it again, and it's a paperweight.

Half the game is finding applications for the tech (let us know if you have any ideas, maybe you'll get a cut :D), but my Dad's currently negotiating with some big Korean shipbuilding companies and things are looking good.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Boy, did this thread went haywire. :p

And to think one of you was a admin and the other is a mod... :D

With undvd, there is no catch. It doesn't have any options, the decisions have already been made for you. Just press the button and see it go. The only real "problem", due to my focus on ripping speed, is that the files will be a little bit bigger than they could be (900mb instead of 700mb for a movie). But you get them much faster (I ripped Gladiator in 4h, size=1100mb, 2h:20min).
    Thanks for explaining. Will give it a shot today and see how fast it goes.
    Though it can be a little unhandy to get a movie 900mb when you wanted to put it on 1 CD, or perhaps 2.

But i get it, the focus was on simplicity and that's a good thing. This could be very usefull for backing up some of my favs to more managble sizes.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #33
    Actually I said I'm in Korea until July this year. It's 2007 ;) Things have changed a lot recently, it's pretty hectic. Our 2 cousins and their mother have been living in our house for the past year or so, and my parents and I are in their house in Korea, so we basically did a trade.

It'll be a full house when I get back to Korea, but I think their family might leave shortly after I get back, at which point we'll truly be living away from our parents for the first time :oops: Then after my brother graduates he might come back to Korea for work, and then it'll just be me and myself.
    So how much do you got left in your program? Are you gonna stay in Australia afterwards?

Oh, that's this whole other story... we actually sold all the orchids to some guy who came and loaded a bunch at a time into his truck every few days, until we were left with 4 square km of empty land :cry:

They moved to Korea to pursue a business with this new technology. In short, I'll describe it as an electromagnet minus the electricity, and a lot more powerful. You turn a switch and you have a strong magnet. Turn it again, and it's a paperweight.

Half the game is finding applications for the tech (let us know if you have any ideas, maybe you'll get a cut :D), but my Dad's currently negotiating with some big Korean shipbuilding companies and things are looking good.
    Sweet, going from flowers to Lex Luthor technology. :D I find it kinda hard to imagine an electromagnetic magnet that doesn't require electricity but if you say so.. :oops:

Become a mod and post with impunity ;)

Thanks for explaining. Will give it a shot today and see how fast it goes.
    Though it can be a little unhandy to get a movie 900mb when you wanted to put it on 1 CD, or perhaps 2.

But i get it, the focus was on simplicity and that's a good thing. This could be very usefull for backing up some of my favs to more managble sizes.
    That, and speed. At the risk of getting technical here, the most popular way is to do 2pass encoding, which takes considerably longer, about twice as long in fact. The first time the encoder collects statistics on the movie, on the second pass it actually encodes it. I didn't really see a difference in quality at the bitrate I chose, so I scrapped it. But for higher compression, I understand 2pass is the answer. So you sacrifice maybe 30-40% filesize in return for half the ripping time.

Btw what do you burn it on cd for, the whole point of ripping dvds is to not have to have that filing cabinet with discs :p

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

That, and speed. At the risk of getting technical here, the most popular way is to do 2pass encoding, which takes considerably longer, about twice as long in fact. The first time the encoder collects statistics on the movie, on the second pass it actually encodes it. I didn't really see a difference in quality at the bitrate I chose, so I scrapped it. But for higher compression, I understand 2pass is the answer. So you sacrifice maybe 30-40% filesize in return for half the ripping time.
    Oooh, 2pass-encoding...when I ripped "Apocalypse: NOW", director's version which lasts like 3 hours, on my ooooold PC(1.2GHz,512MB) I used 2pass encoding. Needless to say I went to sleep and when i woke up it was like 40% done! I canceled it and never used it again.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #35
    Exactly. I tried ripping a few times in the past, never was satisfied with the results.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    btw what's the story with Erik deciding to give Linux a shot? :howler: Who would've thought...
    His laptop fell apart and his brother is helping him put together a new box, but won't put anything but linux on it, gotta love these kids. :D
    :lol: Fantastic idea - maybe I should take a page out of his brother's book. I provide 24 hour tech support for pretty much everyone who knows me; maybe I should start phasing out Windows support :D
    Hmm :irritated

gray

Apr 22, 2003

Isn't that exactly why you should've expected something like this to happen? :eyebrows:

I was wondering why it'd been so long since I had a 'personal' conversation on the forums, and then I realised that it was the first time in ages that I'd been awake at a suitable time in your corner of the globe.

So how much do you got left in your program? Are you gonna stay in Australia afterwards?
    Well it's not a program as such - I can leave any time I want, since I didn't even sign a contract (!! In the end I decided that was actually a better thing for me), but the plan is to get back to Aus in time for second semester. I guess that answers your second question.
    Sweet, going from flowers to Lex Luthor technology.
    How is that not a natural progression? :smoke:
    :D I find it kinda hard to imagine an electromagnetic magnet that doesn't require electricity but if you say so.. :oops:
    It's actually quite nifty :D

I'm taking a new interest in Palermo for obvious reasons. :biggrin:
    Pink pride for Matusiak :p

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    time nice -n20 mencoder -v dvd://01 -dvd-device disc.iso -alang en -vf scale -ovc x264 -x264encopts subq=5:frameref=2:partitions=all:weight_b:bitrate=900:threads=auto -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=2:q=3 -slang off -o 01.avi.partial && mv 01.avi.partial 01.avi
    MEncoder 1.0pre8-4.0.3 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (Family: 15, Model: 2, Stepping: 9)
    CPUflags: Type: 15 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
    Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
    93 audio & 211 video codecs
    -x264encopts is not an MEncoder option

Exiting... (error parsing command line)

real 0m0.381s
    user 0m0.016s
    sys 0m0.016s
    :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)