dvd ripping for every [any] one (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
So now that Erik has decided to dip his toes in the water and try some linux, I thought it would be nice for him to have an easy way of ripping the Seinfeld dvds to have on disk. That's why I started out, but it quickly developed into a general purpose dvd ripping tool.

There's no magic at all here, just reusing existing tools by making it very simple. :smile:

Introducing undvd
Download: http://www.matusiak.eu/numerodix/code.php

If you find bugs, lemme know. :wink:

EDIT: adding download link

Buy on AliExpress.com

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Sounds interesting. Though i never ripped a DVD in linux, at first glance DVD::rip seemed like a very good tool and seemed pretty simple so...what's the catch? :)

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #5
    Sounds interesting. Though i never ripped a DVD in linux, at first glance DVD::rip seemed like a very good tool and seemed pretty simple so...what's the catch? :)
    What's the catch with dvd::rip, or with undvd?

For dvd::rip, while it's "simple", it's still more complicated than I for one understand. Wahaaaay too many options for me. And it takes too long to set up a project. Also I've tried it several times and never gotten good results because I didn't understand the different options well enough.

With undvd, there is no catch. It doesn't have any options, the decisions have already been made for you. Just press the button and see it go. The only real "problem", due to my focus on ripping speed, is that the files will be a little bit bigger than they could be (900mb instead of 700mb for a movie). But you get them much faster (I ripped Gladiator in 4h, size=1100mb, 2h:20min).

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    With undvd, there is no catch. It doesn't have any options, the decisions have already been made for you.
    Hmmm, interesting Martin - doesn't sound like your usual cup of tea.

btw what's the story with Erik deciding to give Linux a shot? :howler: Who would've thought...

It still amuses me that a football forum has had such a profound effect on my computing, from my choice of browser to a wholesale change of OS!

These days I'm not much of a fun of ripped movies though - I can't stand not having a full-featured, full quality DVD :irritated

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #7
    Hmmm, interesting Martin - doesn't sound like your usual cup of tea.
    Well, my coding projects usually aim to solve my own problems, and anyone else who may have the same ones, but don't go far beyond that. I like to make things "easy" for myself, whatever "easy" may be. In the case of dvd ripping, I don't know much about it, I don't care about it, I want it as easy as possible.

btw what's the story with Erik deciding to give Linux a shot? :howler: Who would've thought...
    His laptop fell apart and his brother is helping him put together a new box, but won't put anything but linux on it, gotta love these kids. :D

It still amuses me that a football forum has had such a profound effect on my computing, from my choice of browser to a wholesale change of OS!
    Yeah, we're quite dangerous, there should be some kind of warning label. Coming to juventuz there's a threat of influence in any number of fields, from politics to computers. :shifty:

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #8
    These days I'm not much of a fun of ripped movies though - I can't stand not having a full-featured, full quality DVD :irritated
    What exactly do you mean by "full featured"? The "cute" little Mac-like menus that look like they were made for kids and get in your way all the time when you just want to watch the movie? Maybe the first time, but after I seen the super-fantastic-behind-the-scenes clips once I'm only interested in the movie anyway, which I'd rather have on disk.

Ain't much quality loss by ripping though.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Well, my coding projects usually aim to solve my own problems, and anyone else who may have the same ones, but don't go far beyond that. I like to make things "easy" for myself, whatever "easy" may be. In the case of dvd ripping, I don't know much about it, I don't care about it, I want it as easy as possible.
    This begs the question: In the process of making things simpler for the average user, were you not required to gain a greater understanding of all the options available, in order to be able to remove the options that you deem unnecessary, as well as setting defaults that will pretty much work universally?

His laptop fell apart and his brother is helping him put together a new box, but won't put anything but linux on it, gotta love these kids. :D
    :lol: Fantastic idea - maybe I should take a page out of his brother's book. I provide 24 hour tech support for pretty much everyone who knows me; maybe I should start phasing out Windows support :D

Yeah, we're quite dangerous, there should be some kind of warning label. Coming to juventuz there's a threat of influence in any number of fields, from politics to computers. :shifty:
    Haha, politics? Not quite there yet...

What exactly do you mean by "full featured"? The "cute" little Mac-like menus that look like they were made for kids and get in your way all the time when you just want to watch the movie? Maybe the first time, but after I seen the super-fantastic-behind-the-scenes clips once I'm only interested in the movie anyway, which I'd rather have on disk.
    The irst thing I should let you know is that I'm a collector of sorts. I'm very picky about a lot of things, often without any legitimate rationale. The DVD thing is mostly one of those things, but if I were to try and provide a logical explanation, it's mostly an issue of quality (even if I can't even discern the difference, it's just the conscious knowledge that it's lower quality :p).

Feature-wise, it's a weak argument, but the most important things would have to be chapter and scene selection, as well as maybe the subtitles.

So does this work for Windows? Since no one really helped my transition to Linux :depressed
    Check out my posts in the past few months in the Linux thread. Help comes to those who ask for it! (too many times :embarasse)

If you're using Ubuntu, the Ubuntu forums are a fantastic resource, and the community is generally very newbie-friendly and helpful.

btw, is the calendar on your blog supposed to jiggle onMouseOver? :irritated Oh and I think I may have commented on some 4 year-old entries after clicking on some "random entries in this category" links.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #12
    This begs the question: In the process of making things simpler for the average user, were you not required to gain a greater understanding of all the options available, in order to be able to remove the options that you deem unnecessary, as well as setting defaults that will pretty much work universally?
    Indeed. But now that I've done that and I have what appears to be a well working solution, I can re-use it a million times, without having to re-research the same material over and over. It makes it far more accessible to me. And, possibly, to others.

I would never bother to spend that much time researching the settings just for one movie, I would have quit. But for any number of movies, the relative effort is much less.

:lol: Fantastic idea - maybe I should take a page out of his brother's book. I provide 24 hour tech support for pretty much everyone who knows me; maybe I should start phasing out Windows support :D
    Same here, only my tech support is no longer being requested as I'm away from home. I try to give people what's best for them though, I don't try to force linux on anyone. There are those for which it is appropriate, there are others who aren't ready for it. Not everyone owns a Ferrari nor should we. :wink:

Haha, politics? Not quite there yet...
    Perhaps not, but I can't really say how many beliefs have been influenced by people on this site, it would have to be a great many.

The irst thing I should let you know is that I'm a collector of sorts. I'm very picky about a lot of things, often without any legitimate rationale. The DVD thing is mostly one of those things, but if I were to try and provide a logical explanation, it's mostly an issue of quality (even if I can't even discern the difference, it's just the conscious knowledge that it's lower quality :p).

Feature-wise, it's a weak argument, but the most important things would have to be chapter and scene selection, as well as maybe the subtitles.
    Do you know sed? 's/dvd/cd/g' Substitute every instance of 'dvd' with 'cd' in your argument. And it would make perfect sense. There are collectors for cds as well, who disapprove of the "inferior quality" of mp3s. There are others who prefer to store 1000 songs in one place, rather than across 70 cds. Steven Wright said in one of his standup acts "I have a huge collection of sea shells, spread out on the beaches of the whole world".

There may come a time when "most people" prefer to have their movies all in one place rather than on plastic discs in filing cabinets. It may not be now, it may be some way off. But I'm there now, and I was there with music cds 10 years ago. Maybe I'm ahead of the trends. Maybe I just like access to my data.

The chapter/scene thing I don't really get. What is it you get that you can't seek to? And the subtitles of course you can rip with the movie if you like.

From my perspective a dvd often is equal to
    $ dmesg
    /dev/dvd: Input/Output Error
    and the like, I can't stand them. If you like em, good for you. :smile:

btw, is the calendar on your blog supposed to jiggle onMouseOver? :irritated
    Explain 'jiggle'? The number under the mouse is supposed to become bold and the surrounding area become gray (no pun intended :p ). Anything more extravagant than that and it's a bug.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #13
    (even if I can't even discern the difference, it's just the conscious knowledge that it's lower quality :p).
    If you knew your whole car can fit into a garage would you still keep it in a warehouse? :smile:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    If you knew your whole car can fit into a garage would you still keep it in a warehouse? :smile:
    Sure I would, if the warehouse was free, I had a bunch of other things in my garage (in this case, my music collection) that I wanted to keep closer at hand, and I could show off the warehouse (full of other cars of course) to all my friends :)

Indeed. But now that I've done that and I have what appears to be a well working solution, I can re-use it a million times, without having to re-research the same material over and over. It makes it far more accessible to me. And, possibly, to others.

I would never bother to spend that much time researching the settings just for one movie, I would have quit. But for any number of movies, the relative effort is much less.
    Ahh, nice :)

Same here, only my tech support is no longer being requested as I'm away from home. I try to give people what's best for them though, I don't try to force linux on anyone. There are those for which it is appropriate, there are others who aren't ready for it. Not everyone owns a Ferrari nor should we. :wink:
    True that... even as I've boasted about Linux to my friends, in most cases I've sadly had to end the rant with "but it's definitely not for everyone. You have to be willing to learn some new things and work things out for yourself etc. etc."

Do you know sed? 's/dvd/cd/g' Substitute every instance of 'dvd' with 'cd' in your argument. And it would make perfect sense. There are collectors for cds as well, who disapprove of the "inferior quality" of mp3s. There are others who prefer to store 1000 songs in one place, rather than across 70 cds. Steven Wright said in one of his standup acts "I have a huge collection of sea shells, spread out on the beaches of the whole world".
    Nope, don't know sed... I definitely see your point about wanting to keep movies on your HDD, but space on my portable storage is a very valuable comodity to me, and as a result of my worrisome downloading activity, it's not viable for me to keep things like movies (which I tend not to watch very often, and hence don't need instantly available) sitting around taking up space.

Your CD/mp3 example works perfectly in this case, because that's precisely my problem (the fact that I insist on having my music collection (which grows by the day (I just love stacking brackets)) all in the one place so I can shuffle it in the knowledge that my next serving will be a selection from my entire library).
    The chapter/scene thing I don't really get. What is it you get that you can't seek to? And the subtitles of course you can rip with the movie if you like.
    As I said, it's a weak argument, but sometimes I like to be able to revisit a certain part of a movie with simplicity.

Re: subtitles - that's a bit more of a valid argument for me, since the relatives I live with don't speak English. It's nice to be able to turn them on and off :)

From my perspective a dvd often is equal to
    $ dmesg
    /dev/dvd: Input/Output Error
    and the like, I can't stand them. If you like em, good for you. :smile:
    After reading about your experiences with DVDs, I can safely say that I haven't had the same kinds of problems you've had with bung discs and the like.

Explain 'jiggle'? The number under the mouse is supposed to become bold and the surrounding area become gray (no pun intended :p ). Anything more extravagant than that and it's a bug.
    Yep, obviously it's a result of the number becoming bold, but I think that's shifting the columns by a pixel or three. I dunno, maybe I resized the fonts for readability's sake and it's just a side-effect.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #15
    Sure I would, if the warehouse was free, I had a bunch of other things in my garage (in this case, my music collection) that I wanted to keep closer at hand, and I could show off the warehouse (full of other cars of course) to all my friends :)
    No, you don't get it. You have a big warehouse to store one car. If you have two cars you need two warehouses :wink:

Nope, don't know sed... I definitely see your point about wanting to keep movies on your HDD, but space on my portable storage is a very valuable comodity to me, and as a result of my worrisome downloading activity, it's not viable for me to keep things like movies (which I tend not to watch very often, and hence don't need instantly available) sitting around taking up space.

Your CD/mp3 example works perfectly in this case, because that's precisely my problem (the fact that I insist on having my music collection (which grows by the day (I just love stacking brackets)) all in the one place so I can shuffle it in the knowledge that my next serving will be a selection from my entire library).
    It all comes down to space, but harddrives are all the while expanding. HD movies aside, there may be a time when you do have the space, just like you do with music.

Re: subtitles - that's a bit more of a valid argument for me, since the relatives I live with don't speak English. It's nice to be able to turn them on and off :)
    Well, you can rip them separately, right? Even multiple. Not that I know how, but I'm sure it's done.

Funny story, we were watching The Last Samurai about a month ago, off a dvd I cloned (not encoded) to disc (just to avoid any hiccups) and thought it was a bit much with the English subtitles, we do get what they're saying after all. Well I forgot a substantial part later on is Japanese, so we just sat through it not wanting to go back on the decision. :stuckup: :biggrin:

After reading about your experiences with DVDs, I can safely say that I haven't had the same kinds of problems you've had with bung discs and the like.
    It's probably the copy protection nonsense. For Christmas I bought two movies as gifts. "Traffic" and "Ali". The first was a total bitch to read, the second went like clockwork.

Yep, obviously it's a result of the number becoming bold, but I think that's shifting the columns by a pixel or three. I dunno, maybe I resized the fonts for readability's sake and it's just a side-effect.
    Didn't your momma ever tell you never to resize the font? :disagree:

Seriously, that font size is supposed to be optimized for readability (same size as the forum font as a matter of fact. No good?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    No, you don't get it. You have a big warehouse to store one car. If you have two cars you need two warehouses :wink:
    Still, the fact remains that there's no extra cost for me to keep the car in a warehouse instead of a garage, so until my garage gets big enough to hold my car and mp3's (!? Okay, this metaphor is getting a bit confusing now) I'll take the warehouse, even if the only thing that allows for is extra room for my unnecessarily long muffler.
    It all comes down to space, but harddrives are all the while expanding. HD movies aside, there may be a time when you do have the space, just like you do with music.
    But until then, I'll be stuck with my weekend routine of burning a dozen DVD-R's :weee:
    Well, you can rip them separately, right? Even multiple. Not that I know how, but I'm sure it's done.
    Indeed I'm sure it can be, but why bother when I can have 12 sets of subtitles? (11 of which I can't read) :D
    Funny story, we were watching The Last Samurai about a month ago, off a dvd I cloned (not encoded) to disc (just to avoid any hiccups) and thought it was a bit much with the English subtitles, we do get what they're saying after all. Well I forgot a substantial part later on is Japanese, so we just sat through it not wanting to go back on the decision. :stuckup: :biggrin:
    :rofl: stubbornness

I amazed the heck out of my uncle the other day. He travels around the globe a lot, and always comes back with a few dozen black market DVDs. Needless to say, half of them don't work on his DVD player. When he told me about this problem, I said "Not a problem; you should've told me earlier!", googled the region hack code for his model within 10 seconds, and proceeded to unlock it with a few deft touches of the remote :D
    It's probably the copy protection nonsense. For Christmas I bought two movies as gifts. "Traffic" and "Ali". The first was a total bitch to read, the second went like clockwork.
    Retail DVDs not playing in the country you bought them in? :disagree:
    Didn't your momma ever tell you never to resize the font? :disagree:

Seriously, that font size is supposed to be optimized for readability (same size as the forum font as a matter of fact. No good?
    Oh, I usually don't do that, but I'd just woken up at 5am local time to watch Reading, so I found myself resizing it about 6 clicks of the scroll wheel :oops:

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #17
    Still, the fact remains that there's no extra cost for me to keep the car in a warehouse instead of a garage, so until my garage gets big enough to hold my car and mp3's (!? Okay, this metaphor is getting a bit confusing now) I'll take the warehouse, even if the only thing that allows for is extra room for my unnecessarily long muffler.
    It was supposed to be a nice jab, which you misunderstood, and totally ruined my metaphor :pumpkin:

But until then, I'll be stuck with my weekend routine of burning a dozen DVD-R's :weee:
    Jeez, what is it you're downloading en masse like that?

I amazed the heck out of my uncle the other day. He travels around the globe a lot, and always comes back with a few dozen black market DVDs. Needless to say, half of them don't work on his DVD player. When he told me about this problem, I said "Not a problem; you should've told me earlier!", googled the region hack code for his model within 10 seconds, and proceeded to unlock it with a few deft touches of the remote :D
    l33t moment :D

Retail DVDs not playing in the country you bought them in? :disagree:
    Yeah, it's hardly the first time too. I don't have uncles buying me dvds from around the world, so every disc I ever had was bought locally. That don't mean there weren't problems reading them. Some of them work in one drive but not the other (handy to have 2 computers in these cases), but the only reason I can hypothesize is some lame copy protection, the kind that make music cds unreadable by a bunch of cd players.

Oh, I usually don't do that, but I'd just woken up at 5am local time to watch Reading, so I found myself resizing it about 6 clicks of the scroll wheel :oops:
    Reading? The English club? They must have Korean players?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    It was supposed to be a nice jab, which you misunderstood, and totally ruined my metaphor :pumpkin:
    Yeah, I figured that was the case after the second post :pumpkin:
    Jeez, what is it you're downloading en masse like that?
    Movies, TV shows, too much music, audio books, e-books

Yeah, it's hardly the first time too. I don't have uncles buying me dvds from around the world, so every disc I ever had was bought locally. That don't mean there weren't problems reading them. Some of them work in one drive but not the other (handy to have 2 computers in these cases), but the only reason I can hypothesize is some lame copy protection, the kind that make music cds unreadable by a bunch of cd players.
    Sounds crap :tdown:
    Reading? The English club? They must have Korean players?
    Bingo ;) That said, they're a team that I've really come to fancy. They're not afraid to attack anyone, and it makes for very entertaining football.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #19
    Yeah, I figured that was the case after the second post :pumpkin:

Movies, TV shows, too much music, audio books, e-books
    Audiobooks, now that's interesting. Read any good ones lately? I'm currently about 1/3 into Don Quixote myself, "read" a few audiobooks in the last few months.

Bingo ;) That said, they're a team that I've really come to fancy. They're not afraid to attack anyone, and it makes for very entertaining football.
    I guess :/ I'm taking a new interest in Palermo for obvious reasons. :biggrin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)