Douglas Costa (28 Viewers)

Jun 6, 2015
He was substituted after 60 min of the first game of the season with Mandzu. He was a bench player the rest of the season also before the spitting incident:baus:
18/19: Calf Injury: Apr 11, 2019-Jul 29, 2019, 109 days, 8 games missed
18/19: Hamstring Injury: Feb 4, 2019-Apr 7, 2019, 62 days 11 games missed
18/19: Knock: Nov 4, 2018-Nov 9, 2018, 5 days 1 game missed
18/19: Ankle Injury: Sep 20, 2018-Oct 16, 2018, 26 days, 5 games missed
18/19: Red card suspension: Sep 17, 2018-Oct 9, 2018, 22 days 4 games missed

He missed 20 (16 with injuries and 4 with suspension) games in Serie A and 5 games the CL (with injury).

https://www.transfermarkt.com/douglas-costa/leistungsdaten/spieler/75615/plus/0?saison=2018

Buy on AliExpress.com

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015

He missed 20 (16 with injuries and 4 with suspension) games in Serie A and 5 games the CL (with injury).

https://www.transfermarkt.com/douglas-costa/leistungsdaten/spieler/75615/plus/0?saison=2018
Nice facts and all, but ma gut feeling says something different.

dolph

Mar 30, 2006

He was benched after 60 minutes of the first game, then had 4 substitute apperances before the spitting incident. When he came back from the 4 game suspension he was a bench player, even though fit. That is not a integral part of the starting 11. Allegri prefered Mandzu over Costa last year, even before injury and suspensions.

Jun 6, 2015
He was benched after 60 minutes of the first game, then had 4 substitute apperances before the spitting incident. When he came back from the 4 game suspension he was a bench player, even though fit. That is not a integral part of the starting 11. Allegri prefered Mandzu over Costa last year, even before injury and suspensions.
Yep, he changed formation after the first game and Mandzo rightfully started as he was in great form at the start of the season. His presence also greatly benefitted Ronaldo. My point is that over the whole season Allegri would have quite probably liked to use Costa more if he had the chance. He didn't as Costa was either suspended, injured or slowly getting back from an injury for the majority of the season.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Yep, he changed formation after the first game and Mandzo rightfully started as he was in great form at the start of the season. His presence also greatly benefitted Ronaldo. My point is that over the whole season Allegri would have quite probably liked to use Costa more if he had the chance. He didn't as Costa was either suspended, injured or slowly getting back from an injury for the majority of the season.
:tup:

Never had a period last year where he wasn’t a few matches off an injury and consequently never got into full form and fitness, add to that the confidence knock after the suspension... just never got going. I’m sure Allegri would have loved to have a fit Costa during the winter when Mandzukic was out of form

I guess if we go by the logic of Allegri didn’t want to use him last year, Sarri doesn’t view him as starting XI either seeing as he was back for 5 matches from his last injury and started 0 of them. Sarri prefers Berna in horrid form it seems :boh:

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
I disagree. You dont bench your best player of the last six months, after 60 minutes of the new season, you find a way to fit him in, and the rest is spekulation. There was no signs during the season that he would be considered a part of the starting 11.
It’s funny how all of a sudden Costa became an integral part of the starting 11, by a notorius hater like the Daydevil and Post Ironic who claims the he is only usefull vs small teams.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I disagree. You dont bench your best player of the last six months, after 60 minutes of the new season, you find a way to fit him in, and the rest is spekulation. There was no signs during the season that he would be considered a part of the starting 11.
It’s funny how all of a sudden Costa became an integral part of the starting 11, by a notorius hater like the Daydevil and Post Ironic who claims the he is only usefull vs small teams.
Hater? Lol

I was a big fan of his signing. Used to argue with Dai and lgor about him. I loved his first year here. Was absolutely unstoppable down the stretch and magic on the pitch.

But last season he was pure rubbish, and behaved like a moron both on and off the pitch. I despise those who spit on people. It’s disgusting and repugnant. One of the reasons I dislike Totti as much as I do, and I find it entirely unacceptable from a Juve player.

All the same, even this summer I said I’d be fine with him being given a second chance to get his shit together and be at his best again. A properly focused and motivated Costa and we have a much better finish to the season last year imo. Brain dead, car wrecking, spitting, injured and out of form Costa and we had no depth out wide in attack (even more so given Higgy was gone).

And it’s the same this year. If we get the best of Costa, we’ll be that much more dangerous against the big teams.

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
Hater? Lol

I was a big fan of his signing. Used to argue with Dai and lgor about him. I loved his first year here. Was absolutely unstoppable down the stretch and magic on the pitch.

But last season he was pure rubbish, and behaved like a moron both on and off the pitch. I despise those who spit on people. It’s disgusting and repugnant. One of the reasons I dislike Totti as much as I do, and I find it entirely unacceptable from a Juve player.

All the same, even this summer I said I’d be fine with him being given a second chance to get his shit together and be at his best again. A properly focused and motivated Costa and we have a much better finish to the season last year imo. Brain dead, car wrecking, spitting, injured and out of form Costa and we had no depth out wide in attack (even more so given Higgy was gone).

And it’s the same this year. If we get the best of Costa, we’ll be that much more dangerous against the big teams.
I hope he does make me eat my words. I'd be happy to.

Unfortunately, Dougie C rarely does against teams above the bottom half of the table. :(
Should never start against good teams.

Bernadeschi is so much better than this guy.
SELL

Useless in the final third.

- - - Updated - - -

No Costa doesn't. The only things he has over Bernadeschi are speed and dribbling, and Bernadeschi is decent in both those aspects.

Passing, scoring, creating, intelligence, vision, defending... Bernadeschi is superior in all these, and much younger.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that Mourinho is gone, United isn't near retarded enough to do this.
Nah. Bernadeschi's always dangerous, even when he starts. He constantly gets involved and pushes the defence with intelligent runs and passing. Shouldn't be a mid though, or maybe a wide mid in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1, opposite Cancelo.

Costa is just brainless, so he only really works against tired teams where brainless running can do the trick.

- - - Updated - - -

:agree:

And Berna does impact the games from the start, even against good teams. No surprise B81 disagreeing. He's been against Bernadeschi from the start. ;)
You are a hater...

...and that is the proper position to take with regards to Costa

;)
A quick five minutes search in this thread really shows your admiration for the guy.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
A quick five minutes search in this thread really shows your admiration for the guy.
As I said, he had a shit season last year and did something I find extremely repugnant. I disliked him for it.

But I can go back if I want to bother and find lots of posts from when we signed him and during his first year here praising him. This one for example:

He's been one of our best players for months now. His end product isn't perfect as you well now, but he's turned into a brilliant all-around winger under Allegri, and his ability to excel on both sides of the pitch is a godsend.

Perhaps the coaches you had just couldn't get the best out of him. Maybe Jupp would have done a lot more with him. Who knows. But he's definitely performing like a player worth well over 50mil right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Even from this May before we hired Sarri.

:tup:

Costa was brilliant last year for us, no doubt about that. Allegri’s tactics last year and Higuain in the middle suited him really well.

That’s why he was my most disappointing player this season, even more so due to the manner in which his season fell apart.

Even so, I’d be interested in seeing if he can rediscover his best now under a new coach.

Last edited:

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
its almost like opinions (rationally based ones at least) change with player form/ performance.

or you could be the opposite and end up in a situation like Badass currently where he got a boner over Paratici for some reason and is now stuck rationalizing that time Paratici tried to swap his favourite player (+10 mil) for fucking Lukaku cause he's feeble minded

- - - Updated - - -

its almost like opinions (rationally based ones at least) change with player form/ performance.

or you could be the opposite and end up in a situation like Badass currently where he got a boner over Paratici for some reason and is now stuck rationalizing that time Paratici tried to swap his favourite player (+10 mil) for fucking Lukaku cause he's feeble minded

Powis

Dec 9, 2009

This is also interesting numbers. He has played only 17% of all minutes so far and last season was catastrophic too.
2019-20 - 17%.
2018-19 - 21%.
2017-18 - 60%.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
It's frustrating how unreliable he is. We can't build a season thinking about Costa. Can only be a wildcard to use at random times. Hopefully those times coincide with important moments like against Lokomotiv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)