Don't Raise Your Hopes Too High (8 Viewers)

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
WHAT ON EARTH PROMPTED CAPELLO TO COME TO JUVE?
i cant comprehend this.

In Roma, he had a team as capable as Juve, if not more.
He was earning more at Roma.

What happened then?

word. read the post before mine ;)

chivu, cassano, totti- de rossi, mancini- he has a shitload of good players, potential, and talent.

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
I am actually waiting to the press conference with Capello and the players(Zebina,Kapo,maybe already someone else also).
Wanna see what he will say,really interesting.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
desmond,

I normally respect your post so I am going to criticize too harshly, beside as sallyinzaghi mentioned correctly the whole purpose of this thred is not to criticize Capello but merely pointing out that we may not get the biggest stars in the summer. Nonetheless, I believe you are completely wrong on this point.

Yes, I too wanted Deschamp baldy here. As a matter of fact, he is in my top 5 fav present/ex Juve player ever, and thus I would have loved to see him coach Juve and re-juvenate the aging and declining team (which we unfortunately are) into world beaters again - a fairy tale story.
Nontheless, Capello, IMO, is too good to good to turn down. He has won trophies in Milan, Real and Roma - a coach who has proved that he can handle pressure at big clubs.

Now the real point. So what makes Capello excellent coach that he is? And how does that fit into current Juve situation?

The Capello's main strenght, IMO, is not his motivational, or developing player ability but critical analytical mind that translate well in knowing team's strenghts and weakeness and which players will remedy problems.
This is evident in his past activites. At Real, he bought Suker, Carlos, Seedorf, Mijatovic and co., which provided a basis for an era, and at Roma, he signed Cassano, Emerson, Samuels, Chivu, Mancini, Montella, Bati and co. and won the championship. This analytical ability fits in well with the current Juve need's IMO, because the main reason why we underperfomed this year is that our players are simply not good enough. If you see Milan's lineup and Roma's and compare them with ours, then the difference in the quality of players are stark, and thus we definetely need to some re-inforcement if not complete major overhaul, simply because we have no "core competence" to speak of. While Deschamp has proved to be a good inspirational leader, and fantastic coach at developing some players in last couple of years, there is not enough evidence to suggest that he is good at Calcio Mercato. With Capello that is the last worry we can have.
I am certain that Moggi appointed Capello with this in mind. I believe that some you guys are underestimating or overestimating him too much - he is no god, but a capable guy who generally knows what he is doing.
If we can see that we are lacking big time players to challenge Milan and Roma then Moggi will know this as well. From his perspectives, there is nothing more helpful than a coach who knows which kind of players he needs simply because his job will become much more simpler.
Furthermore, Moggi, himself, IMO, is in hot seat due to his lack of transfer move last summer that proved costly to our entire season. Hence, I reckon Moggi will be active in the Calcio Mercato, and I expect him to bring some quality players. Emerson might be the start. And my gut feeling suggest that we are in race for Mexes, and Gilardino.
BTW, Zebina and Kapo are quality signings considering that they are free. We need some depth. Furthermore, I think we can do with a signing of young budding fantasista.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #107
    ++ [ originally posted by Andre 3000 ] ++
    Desmond, is it entirely possible that the main reason why Cappello suddenly became the top priority instead of Deschamps or Prandelli is because he may have only very, very recently exercised the escape clause in his contract, thereby suddenly giving Moggi a much more viable option at coach?
    its possible,but more likely that moggi had it planned all along.zebina's transfer was way before capello's appointment,and surely he had something to do with it?

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #108
    ++ [ originally posted by Jun-hide ] ++
    desmond,

I normally respect your post so I am going to criticize too harshly, beside as sallyinzaghi mentioned correctly the whole purpose of this thred is not to criticize Capello but merely pointing out that we may not get the biggest stars in the summer. Nonetheless, I believe you are completely wrong on this point.

Yes, I too wanted Deschamp baldy here. As a matter of fact, he is in my top 5 fav present/ex Juve player ever, and thus I would have loved to see him coach Juve and re-juvenate the aging and declining team (which we unfortunately are) into world beaters again - a fairy tale story.
    Nontheless, Capello, IMO, is too good to good to turn down. He has won trophies in Milan, Real and Roma - a coach who has proved that he can handle pressure at big clubs.

Now the real point. So what makes Capello excellent coach that he is? And how does that fit into current Juve situation?

The Capello's main strenght, IMO, is not his motivational, or developing player ability but critical analytical mind that translate well in knowing team's strenghts and weakeness and which players will remedy problems.
    This is evident in his past activites. At Real, he bought Suker, Carlos, Seedorf, Mijatovic and co., which provided a basis for an era, and at Roma, he signed Cassano, Emerson, Samuels, Chivu, Mancini, Montella, Bati and co. and won the championship. This analytical ability fits in well with the current Juve need's IMO, because the main reason why we underperfomed this year is that our players are simply not good enough. If you see Milan's lineup and Roma's and compare them with ours, then the difference in the quality of players are stark, and thus we definetely need to some re-inforcement if not complete major overhaul, simply because we have no "core competence" to speak of. While Deschamp has proved to be a good inspirational leader, and fantastic coach at developing some players in last couple of years, there is not enough evidence to suggest that he is good at Calcio Mercato. With Capello that is the last worry we can have.
    I am certain that Moggi appointed Capello with this in mind. I believe that some you guys are underestimating or overestimating him too much - he is no god, but a capable guy who generally knows what he is doing.
    If we can see that we are lacking big time players to challenge Milan and Roma then Moggi will know this as well. From his perspectives, there is nothing more helpful than a coach who knows which kind of players he needs simply because his job will become much more simpler.
    Furthermore, Moggi, himself, IMO, is in hot seat due to his lack of transfer move last summer that proved costly to our entire season. Hence, I reckon Moggi will be active in the Calcio Mercato, and I expect him to bring some quality players. Emerson might be the start. And my gut feeling suggest that we are in race for Mexes, and Gilardino.
    BTW, Zebina and Kapo are quality signings considering that they are free. We need some depth. Furthermore, I think we can do with a signing of young budding fantasista.
    yes he signed players like seedorf,carlos,capello,batistuta,samuel,chivu etc etc. how many of these players are the type moggi would sign?would he sign a teenager for 18m?we all know that only another huge crisis(ie season after season of bad results) will prompt him to go on a spending spree,which juve sees only once in a long long time.considering we have not sold any of our stars i'd say until we do a summer splurge is highly unlikely,and even then we might not buy proven,big name players like those he signed at his previous clubs.

one or two of the good future prospects are within our reach,of course,but we've been let down more often than not when it comes to long-term targets.think d'alessandro,whom we've been hotly linked to for almost three years now,and seen nothing of that rumoured first option to be excercised last year.or even nesta and cannavaro who were sold for ridiculous prices to the two milan clubs when so many sources quoted juve as the favourites for both their signatures.4m for mexes is merely a remake of that episode in a long running soap opera directed and produced by luciano himself.

although the argument that moggi will be pressured to spend by last season's disappointing transfer campaign is a valid one, moggi hardly ever gives in to public pressure and makes his own decisions,which explains how he managed to let so many of our top targets slip by in the past.nevertheless i hope the man himself is convinced that we need to buy better than we did last season,like you do.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Even though Moggi isn't the man known to make those kind of signings, I'm sure he'll at least take Capello's opinions and plans into consideration.

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #111
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
    Even though Moggi isn't the man known to make those kind of signings, I'm sure he'll at least take Capello's opinions and plans into consideration.
    i've no doubt that he will.all i'm saying is whether he will put them into action is a far more remote possibility.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++
    and jun,about that fantasista,we've got maresca:)
    Agreed. Maresca is limitless potential waiting to be unleashed. Hopefully Capello realises this.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++

i've no doubt that he will.all i'm saying is whether he will put them into action is a far more remote possibility.
    As remote as the planet earth from the furthest star :down:

Aug 1, 2003
    From what everyone is saying; Capello left Roma because he wasn't getting paid or something and that he was a bit unsettled with Roma's financial state... He wanted to buy new players I think and Sensi disagreed.

Well, Juve has more professionalism :D

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    If Capello wasn't guaranteed certain transfers I doubt he would have accepted the Juve challenge, otherwise he would have gone to Inter.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    Moggi agreed to buy Ferrari, Mexes and Morientes... :D nah, but one can still dream... I'm pretty sure that this Vieri-saga is just a smokescreen...

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    I would prefer Gilardino obviously, but I guess Vieri can still fofer one or two good seasons.

We'll see. If Capello is staying for 3 years, he surely is planning a 3 year plan rather than for just one year so I trust in him. He always did well wherever he went and to make Roma win a Scudetto and keep them top 3 material is a very difficult thing to do so I really do trust in him ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)