Digital Cameras (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I'm surprised we don't have a thread for digicams (okay there was the photography one, but considering there have been about 5 threads on mobile phones...)

Of course I'm not just making this thread out of the blue... so what inspired me, I hear you ask?

The Canon Ixus 500 (also known as the Powershot s500)

I've been shopping around for a while, and finally came to the decision to get this one, since I'm looking for a pocket-sized camera that produces good images, and I've heard nothing but good things about Canon cameras.

I purchased one on e-bay just then, and it should be arriving within the next week or so... I can't wait :extatic:

What cameras are you guys using? Maybe you could post some sample shots so we can see the quality of the pics (preferably on your own webspace, otherwise I might get in trouble for starting a picture dump thread :scared::D)

Buy on AliExpress.com

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
I use canon A75.I liked it a lot.it's 3.2Mp can't compare it with ur's ofcourse :embarass: but for the price.it is good. it can shot maximum 2048*1536 and minimum 640*480.

I need to know if i can use it as a webcam or not?and how?am just new on it :)

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    I used my Sony DSC-P71 as a webcam before, but I just happened to have the right gear. I used the tv-out from the camera and connected it to the TV tuner on my PC, maybe you should google it, I'm sure there's a way to use it as a webcam

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    I used my Sony DSC-P71 as a webcam before, but I just happened to have the right gear. I used the tv-out from the camera and connected it to the TV tuner on my PC, maybe you should google it, I'm sure there's a way to use it as a webcam
    working!! :kiss::D

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002

Really? I'm gonna try this way too.

I'm not into digital cameras much, I prefer traditional ones, but since the developing of films and photos is too expensive (I always have gazillions photos) I got litte digital camera to try it (Canon A70) whether I like it.

How about posting photos you made with those cameras, instead of only talking about them? :)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by snoop ] ++
    working!! :kiss::D
    oh, so you have a tv tuner? fantastic :D

@M: 10x optical zoom :eek: that's awesome man.

I was weighing up between getting less of a 'point and click' camera, but the size of the IXUS 500 was too tempting, I think it'll be a pleasure carrying that baby around in my pocket.

it says "DV quality video", what resolution is that?

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8
    ++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
    I'm not into digital cameras much, I prefer traditional ones
    I'm not arguing or anything, but is there any reason why u prefer traditional cameras? I'm a fan of traditional photography myself, but the only thing I can think of is film grain
    but since the developing of films and photos is too expensive (I always have gazillions photos) I got litte digital camera to try it (Canon A70) whether I like it.
    so... do you like it? :D
    How about posting photos you made with those cameras, instead of only talking about them? :)
    What cameras are you guys using? Maybe you could post some sample shots so we can see the quality of the pics
    I'm one step ahead of ya mate :p

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    Oops, I didnt read till the end of that your post :D

I think I'm used to traditional cameras, I was taking pics with them since ever :)

I'm not sure if I like it... they are different. When I was taking pics with traditional camera, pics were better. Now they are plain.
    Or maybe I didnt have enough time to get to know this digital camera better: it has many manual settings, but I didnt try all of them.
    I think it my fault, cause I saw many pics made by this camera - they look really good.

Pics made during day were not that bad, pics made at nights were nightmare.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #10
    I think I'm used to traditional cameras, I was taking pics with them since ever :)
    What kind of traditional camera did you use? Was it an SLR or just a consumer-level point and click?
    Or maybe I didnt have enough time to get to know this digital camera better: it has many manual settings, but I didnt try all of them.
    That's probably it; high range digital cameras have been competitive with traditional in terms of quality for a long time now, so I think it's just a matter of knowing how to use what you've got ;)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    What means SLR?

But I think I know what're asking about: I had those consumer-level cameras as well: when I needed to take a pics fast: parties and so.
    But no, I was talking about cameras, where you need to set up everything, to have better pics, just to have fun of taking pics :)

Yeah, I've been convinced to such camera, when I found out, that one of most famous photographers uses digital cameras for his work since few years. And pics are amazing.
    Erm... I dont remember who said that though.
    And I bet he has WAY better cameras :D

When I get some time, I'm going to focus on my digital camera and I will see, what I can do with it :)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    What means SLR?
    Single Lens Reflex.

When you look through the viewfinder, you actually look through some prisms and mirrors, and you end up looking through the lens. When you click the shutter, the mirror flips out of the way, and the scene that is projected on the film is exactly what you saw through the viewfinder, as opposed to non-SLR's where the viewfinder is just a seperate piece of glass and the image projected onto the film isn't exactly what you see.
    When I get some time, I'm going to focus on my digital camera and I will see, what I can do with it :)
    Great to hear. I look forward to seeing what u can do with it ;)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    Ahh! Of course I use SLR cameras!
    I didnt know the English name for such cameras.
    My best pics have been taken with them.

It will take much time though, I'm very busy these and next days.

But I look forward to see you photos, and other people, who would like to show their work :)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #14
    Cool, okay it's a deal then, we both post our new photos here, and see how we improve ;)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #16
    does it have a crappy maximum length like my new one does? It defies logic that they'd limit the length of the videos like that :(

(Mine's 640 too but it's 30 seconds :irritate:)

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
    I'm not into digicams that much either, but I have a small one.

Samsung Digimax 35. It's small digicam with 8 MBs and you can use it as a digital cam, webcam and you can listen to MP3s on it.

I'll post a pic of camera later. :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    does it have a crappy maximum length like my new one does? It defies logic that they'd limit the length of the videos like that :(
    No, just limited by the size of your cf. But since it's not compressed, you get an hour for like 1gb. My card is 256.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #19
    It's utter stupidity to limit the size of videos like that... I don't see any practical reason not to leave it upto the user :irritate:

btw (I thought) this is very interesting:

Kodak job losses and restructuring
    Wednesday, 6 October 2004 08:40 GMT

Following Kodak's announcement in January to halt production of film cameras it is cutting jobs at manufacturing sites in France, the UK and Australia resulting in the loss of nearly 1500 jobs. Around 600 people are expected to lose their jobs in both the UK and Australia. The decline of film will see the closure of a facility in Harrow, UK that sensitizes film for the graphics industry, a plant in Nottingham, UK, which primarily produces consumer film and a factory in Melbourne, Australia. Job losses in France will amount to around 270 following the closure of a site in Chalon, France which produces films and photographic paper. It also plans to restructure its sites in both countries which will reduce the company's square footage by one third.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)