Diego Ribas da Cunha (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Sneijder is grossly overrated. Milan could have him just as when they beat us to sign Winston Bogarde, and Christian Zigler.

I like Diego though. I saw glimpses of him playing with Robinho at Santos, and struck me as a complete player. Great vision, strong physique, relatively comfortable with both feet, and clever brain. While he is nowhere near electrifying as his former Santos team-mate, and certainly doesn't pose the same penetrating threat as Kaka (Kaka is deceptively quick, which sets him apart from the rest), I think he will be solid buy and good successor to Nedved.

Nonetheless, the boy is going to cost a lot, and I am highly doubtful as to whether Bremen will sell him at this stage. Cash talks, so he will eventually move on, but it is going to take a lot of cash. My rough rule of thumb estimation suggests he will probably command slighly above Rosicky valuation, hence in the region of 15 - 20m Euros will be a fair value.

I think we can get Robinho for a sum far less than that.

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Jun-hide said:
Sneijder is grossly overrated. Milan could have him just as when they beat us to sign Winston Bogarde, and Christian Zigler.
Have you seen him play in the last few years?
He is versatile, has a great shot, good free kicks, a very complete midfielder, no way overrated.

Jun-hide said:
I like Diego though. I saw glimpses of him playing with Robinho at Santos, and struck me as a complete player. Great vision, strong physique, relatively comfortable with both feet, and clever brain. While he is nowhere near electrifying as his former Santos team-mate, and certainly doesn't pose the same penetrating threat as Kaka (Kaka is deceptively quick, which sets him apart from the rest), I think he will be solid buy and good successor to Nedved.

Nonetheless, the boy is going to cost a lot, and I am highly doubtful as to whether Bremen will sell him at this stage. Cash talks, so he will eventually move on, but it is going to take a lot of cash. My rough rule of thumb estimation suggests he will probably command slighly above Rosicky valuation, hence in the region of 15 - 20m Euros will be a fair value.
Correct, but Bremen isn't selling him.

Jun-hide said:
I think we can get Robinho for a sum far less than that.
Doubt it, he is playing very good at real at the moment, he plays a lot and I doubt Real will let him go, we'd better try and get Cassano then, he is more likely to be allowed out at Madrid.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Yes I have and I find Dutch League to be very ordinary and he is simply above average from the group of mediocre players.

When I see Sneijder, I do not see him being exceptional at any of key attacking elements other than odd cannon balls which comes off after every 3 or 4 attempts. They are players with far better vision, technical skills, dribbling ability than Sneijder.

Obviously he has become hell of lot better at defending than as young teenage sensation, and he certainly is versatille and could fill in diverse role and in various tactical system - I'll give you that.

But most importantly, I don't see that element of charisma on the pitch which all great players possess in Sneijder. He is a good player no doubt, but I am highly doubtful whether he can be classified as "world-class".

I have been wrong in the past (I once thought Ronaldinho is no more than a ball-jugler and how I was wrong!) so I will admit there could be an error of judgement, but until I see Sneijder carving out chances from far more physical, quicker, fitter, tactically aware, technically good, players such as Serie A, La Liga, and Premiership I am going to keep my reservation on him.

Moreover, I think it says quite a lot of about so called Koeman's golden babies, when only Chivu and Zlatan are the ones playing in big stage. They were clearly hyped up because Netherland's havent seen a decent bunch of young players since the legendary days of mid 90s Ajax under Van Gaal.

Paolo Sosa

Nov 11, 2005
man this is the gratest news ever, he is way better than robinho and VDV in term of body strength he have speed, good touch on the ball, and have u seen his goal against Bochoum ? it was a master piece, i have a feeling that we will get him next season although Bremen wouldn't want to sell him, i think we could do our magic

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
I agree with you on the body strenght of Diego. He is physically strong, and just as important, Diego strikes me as a player who plays within the tactical system. I really like Diego and if he was available then it would be no brainer.

And I really enjoyed his performance against Chelsea. A first-class match in a big-stage. That is kind of performances you look for in future Juve players because it shows whether they can handle the pressure or not.

Nonethelss, I still believe, in contrary to most people in this board, Robinho is just too special talent to gloss over his apparent weaknesses and ignore his magical qualities. His touches and sheer talent is up there being the very best, as you can see from Christiano Ronaldo, if you can mold them into proper player than rewards are there.

I am adamant that current decline in Serie A is largely due to the fact that teams have been ignoring such faulty geniuses and bought in favour of less talented but more sturdy players. Teams havent been taking risks, and the general bereft in Serie A is clearly evident on the pitch.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Jun-hide said:
And I really enjoyed his performance against Chelsea.
:disagree:
The game Vs Chelsea was his worst performance this season.

And reading your posts is kind of reading a book.:D

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
mark83 said:
:disagree:

And reading your posts is kind of reading a book.:D
:D

I'll make sure I publish a Encyclopedia of Juve sometime for your sake.:D. It will be a good bed-time reading.:p

I saw enough of Diego that I look for in players. Some of his passing was very crisp, and it was clear he is a type of player who unlike many South American counterparts play within the system. Then again that is what most of us suspected even in his Santos days. His physical essence is a big plus.

To keep things short, I think Serie A teams should be more open to talented but less tactically orientated players. Lazio vs Cagliari game, for example, was such a drab that my current writing would look like a piece of literary. Of course that is what happens when so called giant fields likes of Manfrendini and Mauri down the flanks. Funnily enough, the lesser opponents had two best players on the pitch - Mauro Esposito and David Suazo. Beside Totti and Kaka, and how many players would you pay to watch in Serie? Why it took so long for Mascara to even make Serie A when he seems to be light years better than most players in Italia?

In short, Italian league should be more open to technically gifted players than it currently is. There is no reason why Lazio, Roma, Fiorentina can't buy Van der Vaart when HSV comes up with big coup. Ditto for Juve.

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Jun-hide said:
Moreover, I think it says quite a lot of about so called Koeman's golden babies, when only Chivu and Zlatan are the ones playing in big stage. They were clearly hyped up because Netherland's havent seen a decent bunch of young players since the legendary days of mid 90s Ajax under Van Gaal.
Van Nistelrooij, Robben, Makaay, Van Bommel, Van der vaart, all good players after the Ajax area.

Alltagsheld

Oct 10, 2006
mark83 said:
:agree: Absolutely true. He is sometimes too egoistic and is getting problems when his team plays bad. He is not (yet) a leader who can change a whole game and wake up his teammates. But Werder lets him shine. Overall, I doubt that he's better than Robinho. But he'll improve :cool: :cool: :cool: .

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
Diego....was a buzz few years ago, only outshined by Robinho...

Agree, isn't as electrifying as Robinho, doesnt have the flare...but he does execute tactics well..looks like he has a good head on his shoulders, good technical abilities...

Im more fond of Ribery though..he may not play with Zidane's class, but he does play at twice Zidane's speed/quickness.

Picking between the two would be a matter of tactical preference for me...but hey both are long shots...

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
1 - Ribery
2 - Diego
3 - Robinho

1 - Undoubtedly a great talent with superlative skill and vision, but also an attitude to match.

2 - Solid player, but yet to prove himself in a major competiton.

3 - The most skillful of the lot, but inconsistent and not physically adept.

out of the 3 my choice wuold be...Ribery

Neddy

Aug 8, 2006
ahmedz said:
1 - Ribery
2 - Diego
3 - Robinho

1 - Undoubtedly a great talent with superlative skill and vision, but also an attitude to match.

2 - Solid player, but yet to prove himself in a major competiton.

3 - The most skillful of the lot, but inconsistent and not physically adept.

out of the 3 my choice wuold be...Ribery
I would like to see, both Robinho and Ribery to join. Robinho is one of my favorite brazilian players. As you said, he is fast, a great dribbler and finisher, but he is very weak when it comes to his physical strengths.

Ribery is a great dribbler, fast and best of all, he is strong, but he is not very finisher. So why don't buy both of them?:p

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
rscafan said:
Van Nistelrooij, Robben, Makaay, Van Bommel, Van der vaart, all good players after the Ajax area.

Jun-hide doesn´t know what he´s talking about.

I think he´s high.:smoke: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)