Diego DONE DEAL(read posts #1 & #4786) (13 Viewers)

Who deserves credit for this signing?

• Secco

• Blanc

• Badass Devil

• Moggi

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
Legro has been a bit shaky lately, he needs his kick-ass partner in crime really badly ...

Have read the Viola is linked with Diego but they denied it ...

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Legro is off his game. That happens from time-to-time lately though. He alternates from some brilliant CB play to being the hack that gives up the key PK to flip the match.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Legro is off his game. That happens from time-to-time lately though. He alternates from some brilliant CB play to being the hack that gives up the key PK to flip the match.
:tup:

He really has given us more than I expected the past couple of years, and I love having him in the team. Definitely a quality character. He's is quite slow though, and when Giorgio's not in the lineup, or in form, then Legro's positioning and ability are exposed a little more. Having him together with Mellberg on the pitch is bound to eventually get ugly - neither has any pace at all.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
well now that Camo is back, we don't have to worry about Marco.

but we are stuck with Grygera, Nedved and Legro playing almost all the matches until the end of the season
I'm still worried about Marco... he's been absolutely terrible. It seems like both Camo and Marco are always one step away from the infirmary. I think this offseason would be a perfect time to bring in a young successor to learn from our champion. Unfortunately, we do have more pressing needs at the moment...

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Legro has been horrible lately, which matches have you been watching Ahmed? Cagilari in particular he was really poor.
Excluding the allways poor Grygera, Legro has been our worst defender for the last month. The amount of screw ups has been uncacceptable, from someone that has been doing the necessary decent work for a while now.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Excluding the allways poor Grygera, Legro has been our worst defender for the last month. The amount of screw ups has been uncacceptable, from someone that has been doing the necessary decent work for a while now.
While he's usually played better than he has in the past month, I think this is just reinforcement for the argument that he needs Chiellini beside him to be effective. Giorgio covers up so many of Legro and Moli's deficiencies. Moli has limited positional sensibility, and once Legro gets a bit out of position, he's simply not quick enough to recover.

Same tonight - Canna now needs assistance himself, so how can he provide help for Legro? Two SLOW ass central defenders, neither of whom should be regular starters on La Nazionale from here on out.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Well said.

Dont dispute thats a vital factor, but Chiellini is doing the main cleaning up duty, Legro's strenght is to organize the defence, is a tactical and technical supplementary defender. But with Chiellini out, he is has to do the main clean up duty to boot, and he has come off short for quite a while now, which is for whatever reason, is bad either way.

And yeah, Legro and Canna playing together is dire. Only 1 of them should play, with a strong defender like Chiellini.

Slow_Roll

In Love with a Feelin'
Mar 4, 2008
While he's usually played better than he has in the past month, I think this is just reinforcement for the argument that he needs Chiellini beside him to be effective. Giorgio covers up so many of Legro and Moli's deficiencies. Moli has limited positional sensibility, and once Legro gets a bit out of position, he's simply not quick enough to recover.

Same tonight - Canna now needs assistance himself, so how can he provide help for Legro? Two SLOW ass central defenders, neither of whom should be regular starters on La Nazionale from here on out.
Please god tell me you're not one of those who want Santacroce to start for the Azzurri. Chiellini Imo plays best when he's got that organizer in Canna or Legro beside him.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Please god tell me you're not one of those who want Santacroce to start for the Azzurri. Chiellini Imo plays best when he's got that organizer in Canna or Legro beside him.
Please, dear god, tell me that you don't think that Canna, at age 35 (Almost 37 by WC), or Legro should be starting for La Nazionale.

:p

It's all well and fine to say that Chiellini plays better with a player who will help organize the D. In theory, I agree with this statement. However, neither of the above mentioned players players should be playing critical (or any?) minutes in the next WC, so in my opinion, we should be testing alternative combinations when other CB's are healthy... to see how the players adapt to slightly different roles.

Many people talk about basic characteristics, and then make these definitive statements about whether something will or will not work. These theories are fine to express, but in the end, they're just theories. The proof will always be on the pitch. Santacroce should obviously be on La Nazionale, as he is/will be one of the best Italian defenders going to the WC... right? So once he's called up, why not try different pairings together in practices, friendlies and gimme games (if position in qualifying pools has already been secured) and see what really works? Chiellini used to play LB. Zambro has played both sides of the pitch. Intelligent, talented players can and need to adapt at times, for the sake of the team.

I never said that Santacroce should pair Chiellini. What I do know is that Chiellini is Italy's best defender, and there is a relatively HUGE whole beside him (come to think of it, on either side of him, and the right flank as well), when contemplating future lineups. Obviously, this team will probably need to at least test Chiellini and Santacroce as a pair, considering that the CB pool for Italy is quite shallow at the moment.

Italy's defense is an absolute mess right now; in my opinion, major shakeups are needed. In today's match, I saw a starting four in which preferably NONE of the defenders would be first choice for the next major tournament -that means adjustments need to begin now. I think it would definitely be worthwhile to have some of the better caliber players try to adjust to slightly different roles in defense - at the worst, it will come in handy during times where the back line is struggling with injuries.

In general, I think that Lippi will realize soon (he definitely needs to) that it is no longer 2006. The boys are getting old, and it shows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)