Didier Drogba - ST - Shanghai Shenhua (13 Viewers)

DD to Juve for 6 months at 3/3.5m €?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
Drogba ? lets waste the possibility of getting break even a year on schedule with a bit of luck, on a player that is fucking old, out of shape, and a very big questionmark in therms of desire and remaining ability
Breaking even should hardly be a priority when we are fighting to compete with the top clubs. We have the momentum now and one crushing defeat like Italy's 4-0 in EC2012 final and this project will have to start all over again. We need great results now to attract other top players, breaking-even to getting the finances right won't give us any advantage to those big clubs who already have much much higher turnover than us.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
I think the problem lies with Drogba demanding a multi-year contract.
And considering Marotta's limited negotiation andcommunication skills, tough luck to go past that obstacle...

Drogba would be fancy on the idea of returning in the CL and earn a serie A title without a sweat.
I think that we are more appealing destination than Milan in that perspective. Where they could beat us, is having a more exp transfer director convincing him of their long term plans for him.
At any case Drogba must accept a compromise, earning a title with us, would secure him a new contract imo in a team like Milan anyway, so not a great loss there.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
I think the problem lies with Drogba demanding a multi-year contract.
And considering Marotta's limited negotiation andcommunication skills, tough luck to go past that obstacle...

Drogba would be fancy on the idea of returning in the CL and earn a serie A title without a sweat.
I think that we are more appealing destination than Milan in that perspective. Where they could beat us, is having a more exp transfer director convincing him of their long term plans for him.
At any case Drogba must accept a compromise, earning a title with us, would secure him a new contract imo in a team like Milan anyway, so not a great loss there.
Its great to see you posting a flurry, Cron, Ol' pal...certainly encourages members to post who are eagerly awaiting meaningful debate...

I' hadn't yet thought of the situation in those terms. You make a very important suggestion. Drogba surely does not need any more $$$. he is rich beyond belief...and earning likely 5m+ for an 18 month contract with juventus, once again gracing the champions league and adding a serie a title to his impressive list of achievements, must surely be an attractive proposition. I hope we get him. Its a band-aid of a fix to a problem which has been growing worse and worse since the departure of our french classic prima punta, but a fix nonetheless...

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
The possibility of 'getting break even' is more in line with the aims of a provincial club, not a club aiming to re-establish itself as the dominant force domestically and a major player on the european stage...I'd happily see us pay Drogba 3m for half a season, and smile contentfully when we at least made the next round of the champions league, and also retained our scudetto and who knows, even win the coppa italia. He is immeasurably more clinical a striker than anyone in our ranks since Trez. Old indeed, but still, miles ahead of all our other strikers in terms of sniffing chances and scoring goals. That's a shame of course, and one we are trying to rectify with Llorente, but he isn't available right now...3m is a cheap punt on a proven world class finisher. If its hugely more than that, bring Boakye in...Why consider Gabbiadini...who has not even managed to secire a starting berth at a very poor Bologna this term. Immobile has fared slightly better, at an even worse Genoa, but then again he has had considerably more playing time...We need a proven, confident, in form striker. That is not Immobile or Manolo...Drogba or Boakye (who is also at the ACON until at the latest mid feb)
And getting an old(er) player for 5 or 6 months is not a panic move in line with how a provincial club would operate?

Can we just stop assuming that if Drogba arrives, he'll deliver for us? He is a massive question mark right now, far from a sure thing. The only way I personally would sign him is if it was entirely on our own terms.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
And getting an old(er) player for 5 or 6 months is not a panic move in line with how a provincial club would operate?

Can we just stop assuming that if Drogba arrives, he'll deliver for us? He is a massive question mark right now, far from a sure thing. The only way I personally would sign him is if it was entirely on our own terms.
I don't see it as a panic move. I see him as less of a question mark than all of the strikers presently at the club. Of course it is always a risk signing any player, especially one who has never played in our league, but I feel that Drogba has the natural very well established talent, which hasn't yet had time to fade horridly, which would instantly make us a better team. He has not yet forgotten where to run, when to run, how to shoot...the latter of which at least, he does astoundingly well. In fact the combination of those three qualities he has done for much of his career, even up until recently, so much more consistently than any of our strikers...Looking at it that simply, taking into account the $ we could earn by a stronger still showing the champions league, added dominance domestically (cup and league), if we can seal a decent deal, in which our outlay is likely not far off our potential income from the deal...yes, i say do it. This team, as well as the fans, deserve a player who can finish off the glorious amount of and quality chances we always create...

Bezzy

The Bookie Queen
Jun 5, 2010

:agree: Drogba is a big risk and did anyone see him play in China this season?

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
i have to admit i do agree with this. can't believe with FDP coming up people still think we can afford to buy anyone this winter.
:confused: :boh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Democratic_Party_(Germany)

- - - Updated - - -

For me, it's quite simple really. Our strikers suck, and he can't possibly be any worse (even in his current form). In fact, if and when he trains with us, he'll be likely to deliver in the most crucial part of the season.

Form is temporary, class is permanent :donedeal:

Bezzy

The Bookie Queen
Jun 5, 2010
Apr 29, 2006
Drogba is not our real target.IMHO he is a smokescreen. We aren't banking on this CL campaign being our last in the next few years and we should be able to beat Celtic even without some of our key players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)