did del piero ACTUALLY fill baggio's shoes? (At Juve) (14 Viewers)

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Codino ] ++
actually. good thread to start up.
good timing too as i think his juve career may be up.

del piero clearly has won more for the club than baggio did. and definatly was the protagonist for 2 years of his time here. delpiero has players around him that are better and bigger profile (to an exstent). when baggio was playing he was basically all juve fans talked about. but i reckon overall baggio was a better player for these reasons.

- he was consistantly great. the most important thing in a footballers career.

- he won world footballer of the year. enough said.

- versatile

- did his job for italy

- he was liked buy other fans around italy not just juventus.

- arguably the best ever italian soccer player.

thats my view.
but i would definatly like to hear what other people have to say

:)
I love DP almost as much as I do Baggio, but I have to agree....

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
I'd say yes.

Del Piero played more for Juventus, scored more, won more ..etc
Baggio played at different clubs, but his main and most important one was Juventus.

So Del Piero's impact on Juventus history was more than Baggio's.

Thats my opinion. Del Piero is more of Battega than he is Baggio ig you know what I mean.

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
When Alex first came to Juve, that's when I saw him as the next Baggio or Baggio's heir or whatever you wana call it..

I love Alex...but he's no Baggio anymore
thanks to his injury... :mad:

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
I agree with Andy here..
If the question is about Juventus,ofcourse the answer is yes, because Baggio didn't achieve much with juve,thanx to our stupid directors then for selling a legend like him..
but if you are talking about national team,that would be the most stupid question,what baggio did alone in USA is what delpierro can't do something equal to that in his whole life..
Comparing Baggio to Del piero is really stupid :undecide:

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
In terms of popularity and love, DP filled Baggio's shoes and more. However one cannot really compare the players just on the basis of DP winning more Scudetti than Baggio as that was a team achievement.

Anyone who was following Juve from the early 90s know that that team was Baggio dependent (it was even nicknamed that way). Every weekend he would score and lead the team on his shoulders. He was the only player we could rely on cos the rest of the team was average/good.

Every season Baggio would be out injured for a month and during that month Juve would lose the title to Milan cos we fail to score and win games. Sad but true (check the stats for those years if you don't believe me).

That's why he won the Golden Ball cos single handedly he led Juve consistently for 5 years. DP, good as he might have been in 1998, did not single handedly lead the team cos the squad was much better than the one Baggio had at his disposal.

IMO the early 90s Juve side overachieved only thanks to Baggio. With crap players like Zavarov and inconsistent ones like Moeller, the best we could achieve was 4th or 5th, but Baggio always gave that extra more which helped us reach 2nd place in most seasons.

Juve would have still won the Scudetto (bar 98 probably) with or without DP, that's why I believe that Baggio was more important for Juve in footballing terms.

Obviously as I said before, DP has become more popular through the years, even though at his peak Baggio was adored by most fans all over the world, that's why in the case then yes he did fill his shoes. If Baggio was given the opportunity to play in a star studded side like DP was, then also Baggio would have had the same trophies (if not more).

jumbo

Juve all time top scorer
Nov 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
If Baggio was given the opportunity to play in a star studded side like DP was, then also Baggio would have had the same trophies (if not more).
Yep, he moved to Milan then Inter. :)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by DP #1 Fan ] ++

Yep, he moved to Milan then Inter. :)
Exactly and he won the Scudetto in his first season with Milan + no matter who Inter get, they don't win anything, or at least they didn't used to before this year.

So your point is....??

Camoranesi16

Jul 23, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++

Redicilous, before his injury Alex was insane, the best player in the world. After his injury he hasn't been the same, but you can't take that into consideration, we can only think of what he could have been.
how can you say that?
We cannot say that the english had the germans enigma codes in the second world war. we must talk of what the germans MAY have did.....

thats Bullshit!

What matters is what have happend, and what's happend is that Del Piero have been shit for the last 6 years in comparison to Baggio...

I myself think that baggio Were, and still is a much bigger football player then Del Piero in all categories.
Ask any none juve fan who is the greatest and Baggio will be the answer no matter if you go to Rome or to Madrid...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)