did del piero ACTUALLY fill baggio's shoes? (At Juve) (3 Viewers)

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
Del Piero has done more for Juventus than Baggio has, given their respective tenures at the club. Overall though, Dp would pale in comparison as a player. At his best, his skill isnt in doubt, but I think the difference between the two was actually their temperaments on the big stage both at club and country level. Baggio will always hold a position higher than that of Del Piero as far as the nation goes, and justifiably so. On a more narrow scope, as far as the Bianconeri go, Baggio was a short story but sweet nonethless, Del Piero was an essay with a great introduction but a fading conclusion that sort of tarnished that introduction.
I could not have described it better...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Del Piero has done more for Juventus than Baggio has, given their respective tenures at the club. Overall though, Dp would pale in comparison as a player. At his best, his skill isnt in doubt, but I think the difference between the two was actually their temperaments on the big stage both at club and country level. Baggio will always hold a position higher than that of Del Piero as far as the nation goes, and justifiably so. On a more narrow scope, as far as the Bianconeri go, Baggio was a short story but sweet nonethless, Del Piero was an essay with a great introduction but a fading conclusion that sort of tarnished that introduction.
I'm really loving your posts lately.

jumbo

Juve all time top scorer
Nov 7, 2004
Baggio was lucky to stay longer without injuries.

When DP recovered from his injury, he was given the world to carry on his shoulders and just couldn't do it. Too much pressure and expectations, he became inconsistent.

Nobody can question his skill or involvment in all the successes Juve's had over these years (mainly the 6 league titles and the CL).

There won't be another player like him for a long time.

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002
yeh actually thats a great point. he did have a too big of expectation. but thats why i feel he has so much fans. because they knew he was supposed to be great. but yeh. he was our new young saviour. but 30+ now.... italy will have to keep looking.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Baggio is better than dp in general for two things as codino said:
Baggio was nominated as best footballer of the year , dp not
Baggio was the main leader in NT , dp not.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
When it comes down to it, DP isn't always the guy responsible for our scudettos...so more scudettos doesn't mean the better player.

DP does add personality to our Juve, he holds the team together and if he had left soon we might not have one some of the scudettos, not because we desperately relied on his performances but more because of his presence off the field. Look at Inter...they don't have a DP type figure.

Holygr4le

Aug 4, 2005
Ofcourse he did!

We´re not trying to determinate who is the better player, we´re trying to determinate if he filled Baggios shoes.

1: He is more popular.
2: He´s holding the team together as the previos spokesman sad. (see above)
3: We won more titles with DP
4: When he´s at his best... WOW...:cheesy:

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
I can't believe the people who say that Del Piero should leave and that he's shit etc. Just look how much positive influence he has on the club, and how many of the fans hold him close to their hearts. Del Piero has been succesful with Juventus for such a long period that he and the club have become almost one. People that want him out at all costs probably weren't around in the 1995-1998 period.

Holygr4le

Aug 4, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
the real question is, were you guys happy when baggio left and del piero was there in his place?
Excelent!!!

To understand the progress in losing a player you made the best point ever!

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Hell yes he filled Baggio's shoes! He filled them and then some actually! Del Piero won more with Juve and did more for the club, no doubt about that. Baggio was the better player but as far as their Bianconeri roles went DP was more important.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++
Baggio is better than dp in general for two things as codino said:
Baggio was nominated as best footballer of the year , dp not
Baggio was the main leader in NT , dp not.
Are you incapable of reading and comprehending? This is meant to be a discussion as to whether Del Piero successfully replaced Baggio, which he definitely did, we aren't talking about who the superior player is. Prior to his injury DP led the club on the pitch and post-98 he was phenomenal as a symbol and helped us win three more Scudetti along the way. What Alex has done with Juventus FC will be extremely difficult to replicate and certainly not forgotten.

FORZA ALEX DEL PIERO PER SEMPRE! :fero:

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Fill Baggio or not...What I really know is that, there will be no other Del Piero in Juve....Nobody will ever fill his place in Juve...Just wait and see....

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Could be....But as I said before there could be some that can fill his position...but to fill somebody called "Del Piero"...I just don't see it....

neved11

Jul 18, 2005
Good points...I totally agree!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)