Del Piero: I’ll be Euro star (2 Viewers)

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Monday 31 May, 2004 | Football Italia

Alessandro Del Piero maintains that he will make a telling contribution to Italy’s Euro 2004 campaign.

There are massive question marks over whether the Juventus ace should start after his performance against Tunisia last night.

Del Piero seemed to struggle at times during the 4-0 win which have led to calls that he should be dropped for the in-form Antonio Cassano.

But the former Padova player is confident that he will be in good shape by the time the tournament starts.

"I’m very satisfied with how everything is going," said the Italian ace. "In the past I’ve always been unlucky enough to arrive at major tournaments with fitness problems.

"But I know that in Portugal I will be in the right place at the right time. After all, I still have 15 days of training left before the tournament starts."

Del Piero also cooled reports that his form is suffering due to the pressure Cassano is putting on him.

"He isn’t a rival of mine but a new teammate," continued Alex. "I say new because we’ve spent little time together as he arrived in the national side when I was injured."

The Bianconeri captain didn’t have the best of tournaments during the 2002 World Cup but he believes there will be no repeat of that this time around.

"I went to those Finals as a first team player but then we changed tactics over there and I was left on the bench," he noted.

"If Trap doesn’t change the system (4-2-3-1) then I don’t think there will be too many problems for me."

Buy on AliExpress.com

Romano

May 22, 2004
Nice I hope he's right.
Italy MUST win the European Title.
Del Piero told Juve that he will give ''everything'' in the Champions League, and now he says that he will be the ''Euro Star''.
I hope he's right ;)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Arif ] ++
Monday 31 May, 2004 | Football Italia

Alessandro Del Piero maintains that he will make a telling contribution to Italy’s Euro 2004 campaign.

There are massive question marks over whether the Juventus ace should start after his performance against Tunisia last night.

Del Piero seemed to struggle at times during the 4-0 win which have led to calls that he should be dropped for the in-form Antonio Cassano.

But the former Padova player is confident that he will be in good shape by the time the tournament starts.

"I’m very satisfied with how everything is going," said the Italian ace. "In the past I’ve always been unlucky enough to arrive at major tournaments with fitness problems.

"But I know that in Portugal I will be in the right place at the right time. After all, I still have 15 days of training left before the tournament starts."

Del Piero also cooled reports that his form is suffering due to the pressure Cassano is putting on him.

"He isn’t a rival of mine but a new teammate," continued Alex. "I say new because we’ve spent little time together as he arrived in the national side when I was injured."

The Bianconeri captain didn’t have the best of tournaments during the 2002 World Cup but he believes there will be no repeat of that this time around.

"I went to those Finals as a first team player but then we changed tactics over there and I was left on the bench," he noted.

"If Trap doesn’t change the system (4-2-3-1) then I don’t think there will be too many problems for me."

:howler:

Yeah right, just like he was a star in the last Euro.

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++

:howler:

Yeah right, just like he was a star in the last Euro.

He had just recovered from a serious injury and his father had been ill. (died soon later)

Your hate for Del Piero is legendary but learn to shut up once in a while.

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
:LOL:

Have you guys seen the new adidas ad. Beckham has the ball and plays it to Del Piero who comes on a scooter and does a back flip pass to Raul. Maybe if fifa allowed scooters for Piero so he doesnt need to run:D

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
I so want Italy to win this tournament and that Del Piero ends up being
one of the players that took them all the way.

But something inside me tells me the campaing could end up in a flop!
And once again one of the players that will be "hanged" is DP! :down:

I can't understand the media in Italy!
As I have heard there are alot of ppl. trying to make Trap. change his
mind by benching DP for Cassano!

By now, don't they get that TRAP. doesn't give a rats @ss what media
and ppl. think about the way he runs the national team?

less than 2 weeks to the tournament, for god's sake support the players
and let them concentrate instead of feeling EXTRA pressure...

These stars always have pressure to succeed by the public.
But let's not make it worse. I'm sure if things are going bad for
gli azzurri the first man to be substitute is DP...

OP
The Arif

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
  • Thread Starter #15
    benching dp for cassano is completely wrong imo...

although cassano is in great form, i think that del piero can handle the pressure more than cassano does, plus del piero has more experience than cassano in these tournaments.

imo dp should start before cassano.

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Juventino ] ++

By now, don't they get that TRAP. doesn't give a rats @ss what media
    and ppl. think about the way he runs the national team?

hahaha. stop please u gonna kill me. ur not serious right? trap can do nothing to the media. he is their servant

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

hahaha. stop please u gonna kill me. ur not serious right? trap can do nothing to the media. he is their servant
    What R U talking about? :confused: :D

Did I say Trap has power to do anything towards the media?

perhaps I need to say it again!?

I was saying, Media shouldn't put so much energy telling what
    TRAP. should or shouldn't do when it comes to selecting the players,
    selecting the line up and etc.

especially now when we are so close to the finals...
    Let the players feel more supported rather than reading
    X should replace Y and etc.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    Cassano should replace Del Piero. Alex hs been injured and is completely out of form, while Cassano is completely fit and in great form, he's over confident while Alex lacks confidence, and he has less experience, while Alex has plenty of experience losing and choking in big matches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)