Del Piero: I’ll be Euro star (1 Viewer)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
i agree wirth that. DP wasnt the weakest link by ne stretch of imagination. And doesnt deserve to be singled out for criticism, if nething he was better than most on the field. and i think we missed his creativity towards the end, coz cassano dint do jack shit.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++
He will be a star all right , trap will not let him play again:D
Why not? Because Cassano stole the show in his substitute appearance?

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Arif ] ++
Monday 31 May, 2004 | Football Italia

Alessandro Del Piero maintains that he will make a telling contribution to Italy’s Euro 2004 campaign.

There are massive question marks over whether the Juventus ace should start after his performance against Tunisia last night.

Del Piero seemed to struggle at times during the 4-0 win which have led to calls that he should be dropped for the in-form Antonio Cassano.

But the former Padova player is confident that he will be in good shape by the time the tournament starts.

"I’m very satisfied with how everything is going," said the Italian ace. "In the past I’ve always been unlucky enough to arrive at major tournaments with fitness problems.

"But I know that in Portugal I will be in the right place at the right time. After all, I still have 15 days of training left before the tournament starts."

Del Piero also cooled reports that his form is suffering due to the pressure Cassano is putting on him.

"He isn’t a rival of mine but a new teammate," continued Alex. "I say new because we’ve spent little time together as he arrived in the national side when I was injured."

The Bianconeri captain didn’t have the best of tournaments during the 2002 World Cup but he believes there will be no repeat of that this time around.

"I went to those Finals as a first team player but then we changed tactics over there and I was left on the bench," he noted.

"If Trap doesn’t change the system (4-2-3-1) then I don’t think there will be too many problems for me."

Then there is a loooooooooooong way for you man to make it happen :frown:

Trap must have had good reasons for taking Alex on Euro, but Alex's current form is not one of them.

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
if someone can tell me one player in the world who could have played well under traps' tactics in that game, then they would be obvisouly sniffing glue.

once again, Italy needs a scapegoat, and Del Piero is always that player. Did Cassano do anything in his 30 mins of play? I noticed he tried to take on a few players and lossed the ball. he got booked for a stupid tug of the shirt. What did he prove in that game? Totti did a few good passes and thats it. nothing special at all. zanetti and perrotta..did they play?

del piero will never be a star in such tactics. he is a support striker and that is where he plays well. but that game, he was literally a left winger, and he cant play that role well. it requires him to be too far away from his favoured play. he needs to get the ball further up so he can cross for his partner upfront. Its the same with Cassano, its pointless having him how traps wants to play him. Might as well not use either of them because they wont perform as well as they can in that role.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
It is true that all the italian team sucked , but dp especially because every body was surprised about him saying that he will be a star in euro2004 , how can you say something like that when you are not shure that you even to start because a lot say that other players has a priority over him

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
It is true that all the italian team sucked , but dp especially because every body was surprised about him saying that he will be a star in euro2004 , how can you say something like that when you are not shure that you even to start because a lot say that other players has a priority over him
He hasnt said he would be a star in Euro, that statement was twisted and constructed by the media, all DP has said is that he thinks he has something to give.

Nofuture

Mar 30, 2003
Trapatoni is old crap, like most of the Italian coaches, they play to defencive football. It's new football era, so we need young coach for international team, not old crap..

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
DP didn't disappoint ... he did not show up like he usually does in big games. Everyone else decided to follow his lead as well.

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++

DP didn't disappoint ... he did not show up like he usually does in big games. Everyone else decided to follow his lead as well.
DP was better than most forwards at the start of the game. So they hardly followed him.

Aug 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Padovano ] ++
Oh right, DP was the problem in that game. Give me a break.
don't worry. there's always perrotta and zanetti to blame things on :D

well now that totti won't play, I hope should we have a new formation DP would be more comfortable in it

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I think Totti's ban may just help the Italian team. Every man for himself, no more depending on the golden boy of italian football. Everyone will hopefully realise their responsibilites up front in his absence. And above all, Dp's got a chance to put his money where his mouth is. Coz i dont see how Trap can do without Dp from now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)