Del Piero: Blame us all (2 Viewers)

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Del Piero: Blame us all

Wednesday 23 June, 2004

Alessandro Del Piero has dismissed talk that Italy crashed out of Euro 2004 because their star players failed to deliver.

Much was expected of Del Piero, Christian Vieri and Francesco Totti but all three struggled to inspire the Azzurri.

"We all need to take responsibility," said the Juventus captain. "I don’t think there is a need to blame just two or three players.

"I don’t think this is the right time to say that one player didn’t do well or that something didn’t work. If there is blame to be assigned then it should be given to all of us.

"We’re desperately disappointed because we were a united squad, a team who were convinced that we could do well even after the first game."

The attacker is well aware that he is set to be put on trial by the media for his performances. "That is part of the game," he accepted. "But I know that everybody did their best."

Del Piero was also a part of Italy’s disastrous showing at the 2002 World Cup, another tournament that they threw away.

"Which exit was more disappointing? They are as big as each other," he added. "Especially as we could have won both of them."

Alessandro Nesta also commented on Italy’s elimination by not pointing the finger at the Scandinavians – whose 2-2 draw proved fatal.

"I’m not interested in the Sweden and Denmark game," he stated. "At the World Cup, people blamed (referee) Moreno. I don’t want to look for another alibi this time around.

"We are going home without having lost a single game. That fills me with even more regret."

Buy on AliExpress.com

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
hes sayg it the way it is. italy have no right to blame ne1 else. even if it was fixed. they shudnt have to depend on others to qualify in the first place. especially when u have an attack most other teams dream of.

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Arif ] ++
Del Piero: Blame us all

Wednesday 23 June, 2004

Alessandro Del Piero has dismissed talk that Italy crashed out of Euro 2004 because their star players failed to deliver.

Much was expected of Del Piero, Christian Vieri and Francesco Totti but all three struggled to inspire the Azzurri.

"We all need to take responsibility," said the Juventus captain. "I don’t think there is a need to blame just two or three players.

"I don’t think this is the right time to say that one player didn’t do well or that something didn’t work. If there is blame to be assigned then it should be given to all of us.

"We’re desperately disappointed because we were a united squad, a team who were convinced that we could do well even after the first game."

The attacker is well aware that he is set to be put on trial by the media for his performances. "That is part of the game," he accepted. "But I know that everybody did their best."

Del Piero was also a part of Italy’s disastrous showing at the 2002 World Cup, another tournament that they threw away.

"Which exit was more disappointing? They are as big as each other," he added. "Especially as we could have won both of them."

Alessandro Nesta also commented on Italy’s elimination by not pointing the finger at the Scandinavians – whose 2-2 draw proved fatal.

"I’m not interested in the Sweden and Denmark game," he stated. "At the World Cup, people blamed (referee) Moreno. I don’t want to look for another alibi this time around.

"We are going home without having lost a single game. That fills me with even more regret."
Too little too late..after all the playing time you could not even manage one pass and people called your play brilliant (vs. Sweden)because you were actually involved...that just shows to what levels your game has reached. Much like the France game in 2000 you missed chances in the first two games to put it away and gain some respect for your National Team duties.
Your time is over....you have had 4 chances and disappointed in every one. Move along and let the younger ones take over.

kweku

Jul 20, 2002
Wasn´t it Del piero who said that he did´nt see what Totti had that he didn´t have? Well Totti was willing to take that responsibilty as a leader, and it sounded as if so was Del piero, so how come he suddenly says something like this? And thats why I said he shouldn´t talk so much. Pathetic!!!!!

Btw yeah I know Totti fcked up!

OP
The Arif

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
  • Thread Starter #11
    ++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++

Too little too late..after all the playing time you could not even manage one pass and people called your play brilliant (vs. Sweden)because you were actually involved...that just shows to what levels your game has reached. Much like the France game in 2000 you missed chances in the first two games to put it away and gain some respect for your National Team duties.
    Your time is over....you have had 4 chances and disappointed in every one. Move along and let the younger ones take over.

:blah:

Ferrari^M

Sep 3, 2002
    How the hell did Del Piero played worse than anyone else?

The only good players were Buffon Zambro and Cannavaro

Cassano is also there for scoring twice, or else he wouldn't be there considering all the mistakes he made.

All the others were crap. Del Piero did have one ok match like Panucci did. I don't see why he should be taking the blame...

With this mentality, let's get rid of Totti Vieri Nesta Panucci hell let's kick anyone over 25, let's leave it to the youngsters...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by kweku ] ++
    Wasn´t it Del piero who said that he did´nt see what Totti had that he didn´t have? Well Totti was willing to take that responsibilty as a leader, and it sounded as if so was Del piero, so how come he suddenly says something like this? And thats why I said he shouldn´t talk so much. Pathetic!!!!!

Btw yeah I know Totti fcked up!
    Comfort yourself by seeing that at least he did no worse than Totti this time ;)

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
    its not right to blame the players, Trapattoni totally sucks, he didnt use good tactics and he wasnt able to make the team improve, before he came, Italy was the best in europe, now, the poorest teams grow strong against italy. i say trapattoni sent italy to the floor, and we cant blame any player for bad performance, take a look at juventus this season, lippi didnt do well and thus juventus were bad including Nedved and Del Piero..

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Arif ] ++

:blah:
    Actually i think that quote from Nick was spot on. People applaud del piero nowadays if he dies one decent pass in a match. As far as i'm concerned i think that should be the end of his international career, and he should start from the bench for juve next year. I don't think i've ever seen such a physically weak player on the football pitch, which is actually quite depressing. he looked out of his depth against bulgaria :wth:

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    Qudos to Nesta for not blaming the Scandinavians as well. And Zambrotta for being absolutely smashing all tournament.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

Actually i think that quote from Nick was spot on. People applaud del piero nowadays if he dies one decent pass in a match. As far as i'm concerned i think that should be the end of his international career, and he should start from the bench for juve next year. I don't think i've ever seen such a physically weak player on the football pitch, which is actually quite depressing. he looked out of his depth against bulgaria :wth:

I've been saying that for a year now.

Sparty

Mar 17, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

Damn I would've never expect to hear those words from u Paolo...good thing that u finally opened ur eyes.

I don't think though that Del Piero is the only one to blame,Totti,Vieri,Camoranesi even Pirlo were all pretty down. Only against Sweden they played a decent football and just for about 45 minutes, until Trap decided to do the most incovenient thing...defend. Although if Italy would've still attacked and Sweden would've tied anyway he would've get crucified pretty much as Zoff in the last Euro final when people got mad at him because he didn't put Gattuso man markin Zidane...People is never happy.

Italy should refund now and get rid of the old and not more incisive players like Del Piero,Vieri ect. Put fresh blood and play people that are in top form just as Gialrdino was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)