David Trezeguet (27 Viewers)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
France wonder about their attack after Argentina loss

PARIS, Feb 8 (Reuters) - Once considered the best strike pair in the world, Thierry Henry and David Trezeguet's inability to break down Argentina's defence has left France searching for a new partnership in the Euro qualifiers.

Argentina won Wednesday night's friendly 1-0 at the Stade de France with an early goal from striker Javier Saviola.

France, equal on points with Scotland at the top of Group B, visit Lithuania for their next qualifier on March 24.

Henry, the France squad's top scorer with 39 goals from 92 internationals, looked on one of his off days. Despite playing the whole match, he failed to create a single chance.

His trademark speed was of little use against the experienced Roberto Ayala who celebrated an Argentine record 107th cap.

Trezeguet, back in the team after missing France's last outing through injury in November, spent a lot of time running for the ball in vain.

Except for a close-range shot four minutes from the break, the Juventus forward showed nothing and was replaced by Nicolas Anelka midway through the second half.

It is France's second recent defeat with Trezeguet and Henry playing together up front. Les Bleus bowed 1-0 to Scotland in Glasgow in October.

"Their partnership is not new. They played together back in 1998 and in 2000," said coach Raymond Domenech. "It can be an interesting duo. But there can be others.

"You can't be completely satisfied when you lose. We made several wrong choices on several of our moves. Many passes failed to be delivered," he added.

"And when you take on a side as solid and as experienced as Argentina you have to be highly accurate or you don't have a chance to knock them out of their stride."

The problem seems less Henry's than Trezeguet's.

The Arsenal captain has never hidden the fact that he does not feel totally comfortable when he has to share the attacking duties with a player in the number nine position.

Henry never looks more at ease than when he is slotted alone on the left wing and the presence of Trezeguet hovering in the box seems to be more of a hindrance than a help to him.

He links really well with players who stay in a right winger's role like Olympique Lyon's Sidney Govou or Manchester United's Louis Saha.

With Henry and Saha, France won 2-1 in Bosnia in a friendly in August and beat Georgia 3-0 away in a qualifier in September.

The presence of Govou was the key to the 3-1 success over world champions Italy at the Stade de France last year, with the Lyon striker hitting a double.

"We will have to do much better next month in Lithuania," Domenech said. "We will have to be much more efficient."

In a group which features Italy and Ukraine, Domenech knows that France need to grab as many points as they can against the lesser sides.

"We let three points go in Scotland. We can't afford to do that again," he said.

Even a draw will be a poor result in Vilnius next month.

Reuters

Buy on AliExpress.com

Trezegol17

Nov 1, 2006
Pfff as i can see it Domenech never showed much fait in Trezie ,checkthe WC he played for like 4 minutes and misses a crucial penalty. In the Euro 2000 Trezie and Henry was the best attack there.Trezeguet is an killer and he will prove it!

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #983
    Its not about showing faith in Trezeguet's abilities.The article Rebel posted is spot on.Henry and Trezeguet dont function well anymore because playing with someone like Trezeguet's style doesnt help Henry,and Domenech is more likely to go with what Hnery is comfortable with rather than go with what Trezeguet is comfortable with.I think Trezeguet's international appearacnes could be extremley limited in the future because of this.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Trez and Henry really do suck together. You could say Trez has always stayed the same, a #9 striker, while Henry has evolved a lot and became IMO world's best forward. You gotta go with him of course, though I'm sad that's the case as Trez is unique in his own way, just that he requires a lot more to produce than Henry. It's really a shame, I'd hate it if Trez's international career was to end like this..

Marc

Softcore Juventino
    Jul 14, 2006
    Trezeguet replacement is becoming a reality but I will never forget him and I wish him all the luck in the future. :touched:

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
    Nov 7, 2005
    I think ppl should really get off his back. He's having motivational problems this season which is only natural considering the shit league we find ourselves in. He was our top scorer last season and just because Domenech decided not to play him in the World Cup, it does not mean he has lost it or that his international carreer is over.

If he leaves us, his next employer will have done a great transfer move and I hope this doesn't happen. He's lethal!!

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    I think ppl should really get off his back. He's having motivational problems this season which is only natural considering the shit league we find ourselves in. He was our top scorer last season and just because Domenech decided not to play him in the World Cup, it does not mean he has lost it or that his international carreer is over.

If he leaves us, his next employer will have done a great transfer move and I hope this doesn't happen. He's lethal!!
    you said it best mate :tup:

Trezegol17

Nov 1, 2006
    He wont leave us,I still hope our board can convince him. He is a Bianconero in hearth and always gives us the best he can offer,if he leaves i believe we own much too him even tho he has motivation problems this seasons.we cant blame him and he does what can do best score important goals for us.
    Forza Trezie!

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
    Aug 22, 2006
    He wont leave us,I still hope our board can convince him. He is a Bianconero in hearth and always gives us the best he can offer,if he leaves i believe we own much too him even tho he has motivation problems this seasons.we cant blame him and he does what can do best score important goals for us.
    Forza Trezie!
    He will have the motivation problems next season as well !!!
    I think he made up him mind for leaving :smoke:

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004

just bein over critical here, but how's playin in serie B shaving/hindering his motivations to play with the National side?

I'd assume it would make exactly the opposite effect, makin Trez more motivated to be playin on a higher level competition.

Inara

Dec 14, 2006
    Here's the latest on the Trezeguet rumors.

Lione, 17 milioni per Trezeguet - in Italian

Ormai pare che non ci siano davvero più dubbi sul fatto che David Trezeguet lascerà la Juventus al termine di questa stagione.

Non a caso il padre dell'attaccante francese, Jorge, si sta dando da fare per parlare con le società che hanno mostrato interesse, ma soprattutto sembra aver già raggiunto un accordo di massima con il presidente del Lione Jean-Michel Aulas, desideroso di portare un grande campione ala corte di Houllier nella formazione campione di Francia.

Il Lione avrebbe già pronta anche l'offerta da presentare alla Juventus, vale a dire circa diciassette milioni di euro. Una cifra che permetterebbe al club bianconero di tornare subito sul mercato per assicurarsi un altro attaccante di razza.

AND here:

Lyon oferece a Juventus 17 milhões de euros por Trezeguet - in Portuguese

O Lyon deu nesta sexta-feira mais um passo para a contratação do atacante francês David Trezeguet, da Juventus de Turim. O clube ofereceu 17 milhões de euros (R$ 46,4 milhões) para contar com o jogador a partir de junho.

O presidente do clube francês dos brasileiros Juninho, Cris, Claudio Caçapa, Fábio Santos e Fred, Jean Michel Aulas, fez a oferta à diretoria do clube de Turim, depois de confirmar que o jogador quer sair da Juventus.

O pai de Trezeguet conversou com Aulas dias atrás em Paris, onde, na quarta-feira, o atacante jogou pela seleção da França na derrota por 1 a 0 para a Argentina em amistoso.

I'm not sure how seriously to take it. I'd be surprised if they were true. The last thing Lyon needs is another striker, already having four available. If this does turn out to be the case, that would make for four recruits plus another possible three for Lyon (Baros, Belhadj, dos Santos, Trezeguet, and maybe another mid, a defender, and Rukavina) for 2006-2007. That means that Lyon will offload some players in June.

I sense a shopping opportunity. :smoke:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)