Criteria of existence (2 Viewers)

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #42
    So you're saying: only spacetime and matter (~energy) exist.
    This is a postulate, just like "causality outside of time" is a postulate.

Hence both atheism and theism are belief systems.
    What do you mean "only"? I said "everything that exists", and you said "only spacetime and matter". You're the one postulating that everything = spacetime and matter.

Jun 26, 2007
    What do you mean "only"? I said "everything that exists", and you said "only spacetime and matter". You're the one postulating that everything = spacetime and matter.
    Then how do you define the universe (that's what we're talking about when we use 'everything', right?)? You don't know whether god (mechanism outside timespace) exists, but if it does it's within the universe too?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #44
    Then how do you define the universe (that's what we're talking about when we use 'everything', right?)? You don't know whether god (mechanism outside timespace) exists, but if it does it's within the universe too?
    That's right.

Jun 26, 2007
    Hmm, haven't given that much thought yet. How about:

X exists if:

1) X is observable by human senses

or

2) X causes something

By this definition, physical concepts such as forces exist too.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #50

X exists if:

or

2) X is defined to cause something

I think 2) is contained in 1). If you extend observable to say "detectable".

However, the requirement to exist in a finite space is a bit wonky since say an electrical field is said to diminish in magnitude over an infinite distance. In practice though you get to a finite distance in space where you can no longer detect the force, so I'd say that's okay.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #52

X exists if:

or

2) X causes something

There is a potential problem here, because if you say something has to be observable or detectable it may not be observable today but it may be tomorrow...

Jun 26, 2007
    There is a potential problem here, because if you say something has to be observable or detectable it may not be observable today but it may be tomorrow...
    Yeah I know what you mean. But if you haven't observed it yet, and it doesn't cause anything, you have no reason to assume it exists. That's why we don't believe in spaghetti monsters.

"X causes something" is a bit vague. "We can observe/determine that X causes something" would be better.
    Agreed.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #55
    Yeah I know what you mean. But if you haven't observed it yet, and it doesn't cause anything, you have no reason to assume it exists. That's why we don't believe in spaghetti monsters.
    The problem with this definition does not come up today. It comes up tomorrow. Today we cannot observe it, it doesn't exist, everything is fine. Tomorrow we observe it and suddenly it exists. So tomorrow we'll ask "does that mean it did not exist yesterday?"

Therefore my definition was broader than that.

Jun 26, 2007
    The problem with this definition does not come up today. It comes up tomorrow. Today we cannot observe it, it doesn't exist, everything is fine. Tomorrow we observe it and suddenly it exists. So tomorrow we'll ask "does that mean it did not exist yesterday?"

Therefore my definition was broader than that.
    But you could see 'observable' in a broader context. You are able to observe it.

If we see it today for the first time, we technically we able to observe it yesterday too, we just didn't know how yet or just didn't bother to do it.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #57
    But you could see 'observable' in a broader context. You are able to observe it.

If we see it today for the first time, we technically we able to observe it yesterday too, we just didn't know how yet or just didn't bother to do it.
    That's rewriting history though. Today we say it doesn't exist. Tomorrow we say it always existed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)