Criteria of existence (2 Viewers)

Sep 1, 2002
Outside of human interpretation and observrvation he fails to exist. The paper, ink exist, according to your creteria.

He is also not in a specific location, but in many locations, in many forms: letters, audio, film, play, statue, game...

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
Outside of human interpretation and observrvation he fails to exist. The paper, ink exist, according to your creteria.

He is also not in a specific location, but in many locations, in many forms: letters, audio, film, play, statue, game...
Which basically means that he is in one place, in our mind. The mind exists, physically.

Sep 1, 2002
Which basically means that he is in one place, in our mind. The mind exists, physically.
Therefore, the existance of an entity in human thought gives existance, ipso facto, anything the human mind can dream of exists.

Does anything exist that is not reliant on human consciousness.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #27

The characters on the paper make up a formal system, that when interpreted in a certain way, give rise to images in our minds. So for that duration the existence of the character can be found in a certain group of neurons in our brains.

Mind you this interpretation we do is not uniform. The same description will produce different images in different minds, based on existing content in those minds.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #28
    Therefore, the existance of an entity in human thought gives existance, ipso facto, anything the human mind can dream of exists.
    In that case, what about a character that exists in my mind but not yours? Does he exist or not?

What about a character that exists in my mind called Billy and a similar character in your mind call Jim and yet another character in Sadomin's mind called Billy Jim. Is this the same character? How do you establish this?

Sep 1, 2002
    In that case, what about a character that exists in my mind but not yours? Does he exist or not?

What about a character that exists in my mind called Billy and a similar character in your mind call Jim and yet another character in Sadomin's mind called Billy Jim. Is this the same character? How do you establish this?
    Exactly.

Existance is subject to human thought and interpretation.
    Each character exist to each owner, at that particular moment on space and time, along with the structures that go along with it i.e faith, hate, love.

I would have thought though, that your given criteria suggests that existance, as an entity, was not subject to human obsevation and thought.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #30
    Exactly.

Existance is subject to human thought and interpretation.
    Each character exist to each owner, at that particular moment on space and time, along with the structures that go along with it i.e faith, hate, love.

I would have thought though, that your given criteria suggests that existance, as an entity, was not subject to human obsevation and thought.
    Well, the thing is as much as we have our own inner lives, we sometimes want to agree on or discuss a common reality. This forum exists in your mind and it exists in my mind, and the two entities of existence are not identical, but yet it also has an objective existence, the facts of which we can unambiguously establish together. When I think about the forum I may not specifically remember that the background of the page is black, but when I'm on the forum I can ascertain this just like you can.

Sep 1, 2002
    Well, the thing is as much as we have our own inner lives, we sometimes want to agree on or discuss a common reality. This forum exists in your mind and it exists in my mind, and the two entities of existence are not identical, but yet it also has an objective existence, the facts of which we can unambiguously establish together. When I think about the forum I may not specifically remember that the background of the page is black, but when I'm on the forum I can ascertain this just like you can.
    A fictious character can have what finite embodiment? It is a product of a mind, which could be argued it's finite embodiment, but thereafter it is open to subjective interpretation, and nolonger exists in one place but in points of contact.

Or am I confusing myself?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #32
    A fictious character can have what finite embodiment? It is a product of a mind, which could be argued it's finite embodiment, but thereafter it is open to subjective interpretation, and nolonger exists in one place but in points of contact.

Or am I confusing myself?
    No, that's correct.

Well, it's a contentious point. If a fictitious character has some authoritative frame of reference, then whatever disputes we may have about how we see the character, there is always that book which will resolve our disputes.

Except when the dispute is over facts not contained in the book. This of course happens in religion all the time. "God wanted this, he didn't want that." "No, that's not how I understood it."

Every Sherlock Holmes is a different Sherlock Holmes in each person's mind. These characters do however have sufficiently strong associations to each other so as to be identified as the same. What gets even more interesting is when you tell me your image of Sherlock Holmes and I now have two different images of the same character in my mind.

Sep 1, 2002
    No, that's correct.

Well, it's a contentious point. If a fictitious character has some authoritative frame of reference, then whatever disputes we may have about how we see the character, there is always that book which will resolve our disputes.

Except when the dispute is over facts not contained in the book. This of course happens in religion all the time. "God wanted this, he didn't want that." "No, that's not how I understood it."

Every Sherlock Holmes is a different Sherlock Holmes in each person's mind. These characters do however have sufficiently strong associations to each other so as to be identified as the same. What gets even more interesting is when you tell me your image of Sherlock Holmes and I now have two different images of the same character in my mind.
    I would love to continue, but alas I have duties which call.

Thanks for the intelligent interchange.

One last thought, taking your criteria wouldn't it be fair to say that Holmes died at the same time as Doyle, and everyhing after has been but a mere human folly?

Dec 26, 2004
    This definition strives to include everything that exists, except the whole of the universe itself. If you will, the universe is the box (or the chessboard ;)) and things that exist are in the box. Existence is defined in terms of the box, so including the box itself in the definition seems to me a bit problematic, because if you say "the universe exists" someone could say "exists in what? exists where?". Well, there is no answer to that. And I consider those questions axiomatic to existence.

I think this covers everything we can ever consider to exist. What do you think?
    I'm fine with this conclusion.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #35
    I would love to continue, but alas I have duties which call.

Thanks for the intelligent interchange.

One last thought, taking your criteria wouldn't it be fair to say that Holmes died at the same time as Doyle, and everyhing after has been but a mere human folly?
    Yeah, that's a good point. Doyle conceived of Holmes in his mind. He then wrote it in books. After Doyle left, only the books are left. So the original character is lost, what remains is the incomplete portrayal in the books.

But which character is the real character, that's what many discussions about fiction are centered around. The original author dies, a different author takes up the mantle and the readers complain "the character would never have done that!". Whose character..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)