Cristiano Zanetti (2 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Yeah, its really amazing how quickly this all came together. Not even within a span of 24 hours.

Why would Secco sell him to Fiorentina if Zanetti didn't say something first?

Hmmm.................................

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Here's a very simple question.

Very Simple.

Considering we have Sissokko, Melo, Marchisio, Poulsen, Tiago, Diego, Camoranesi, and Giovinco, where exactly was he going to play??
Nah, he could still be very useful and i'm sure that the original plan was to keep him. He's the only one in this team who can somehow successfully replace Melo.
It's really not a question of his qualities, because he does have many. But after Poulsen, he was the second CM in the pecking order to leave and since Poulsen fucked us up, accepting to sell Zanetti when the offer came was kinda logical.

If we sold Poulsen i believe we'd have rejected Fiorentina's offer.

But i'm not sure if Zanetti would have rejected it and if he wasn't going to ask to be sold.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Here's a very simple question.

Very Simple.

Considering we have Sissokko, Melo, Marchisio, Poulsen, Tiago, Diego, Camoranesi, and Giovinco, where exactly was he going to play??
Dude, Zanetti would be a perfect replacement for Melo. Both are good distributors of the ball and like to sit in the middle of the pitch orchestrating play. Poulsen isn't as good with the ball, Tiago doesn't play there either, and Sissoko would probably start anyway.

So Zanetti would have came on for Melo, a player who gets a lot of yellows.

If it's fuck Zanetti because Poulsen didn't want to leave, then I say FUCK Secco and Ranieri for getting a player we didn't need in the latter.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Nah, he could still be very useful and i'm sure that the original plan was to keep him. He's the only one in this team who can somehow successfully replace Melo.
It's really not a question of his qualities, because he does have many. But after Poulsen, he was the second CM in the pecking order to leave and since Poulsen fucked us up, accepting to sell Zanetti when the offer came was kinda logical.

If we sold Poulsen i believe we'd have rejected Fiorentina's offer.

But i'm not sure if Zanetti would have rejected it and if he wasn't going to ask to be sold.
You are absolutely correct in regards to Poulsen. This is definitely his doing, if you REALLY want to point fingers, albeit in an indirect way. You can't force a player to leave, although I am of the belief that if the player is under contract, then that makes him fair game to be sold or traded by the club that is paying him.

My point is this though.

The chances of him getting far more playing would be with Fiorentina, correct?

He already got his 3 year deal that he wanted, correct?

So, he got everything that he asked for.

As the squad is currently constituted, you can't sit there and say that he would have received as much playing time here as he would have anywhere else, nor could you say that they would have come back with a long term offer for essentially a bench player here.

So, he is now in a much better position, and yet he criticizes the team that gave him that opportunity in the first place??

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Dude, Zanetti would be a perfect replacement for Melo. Both are good distributors of the ball and like to sit in the middle of the pitch orchestrating play. Poulsen isn't as good with the ball, Tiago doesn't play there either, and Sissoko would probably start anyway.

So Zanetti would have came on for Melo, a player who gets a lot of yellows.

If it's fuck Zanetti because Poulsen didn't want to leave, then I say FUCK Secco and Ranieri for getting a player we didn't need in the latter.
But if you can't unload Poulsen, and they are stuck with Almiron as well, what other options did they have???

There is no way that Juve is getting rid of the other 6 guys, as they are all vital to the cause.

Therefore, that, for better or worse, makes Zanetti the most expendable.

And, Dude, they put him in the ABSOLUTE best position possible!!!!

How can this guy get off complaining like this when he just got everything he wanted??

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
We lost him and I'm not really happy about it because he was pretty good while playing for us. Still, I can't be that mad because I understand that move. We just couldn't sell Poulsen so one midfielder just had to leave. Putting aside his good performances we all know that Zanetti is injury prone and plus he had one year left on his contract. We took a chance to get some money out of it and cover 1% of what we spent this season, it's still better than nothing. No one knows what's happening out there and why are they both (Secco and Zanetti) lying. I simply think we took a chance to get some money on a player that misses 70% of the season no matter how good he was. Seeing Secco's statement we'd release him at the end of the season. Zanetti is probably bitter, he wanted to stay apparently but we simply had no reason to keep him seeing how we can't get rid of Poulsen. It's better we sold Zanetti than loaning out Poulsen somewhere where we'd lose a lot more.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
To me it's astonishing that Secco never talked to Zanetti about his contract. That is where he fails in this matter, in my humble opinion.

Cristiano Zanetti is a player who's only 32, Del Piero will be 35 this November! Nedved is 36, and a lot of people still wanted him to play on! Zanetti has never complained about anything during his time in Juventus, he was probably the best player during that wonderful 2007/08 season, and showed at the end of last season and in preseason this summer that he was still the best central midfielder in the club.

Why did Secco not approach him to talk about his contract?

Zanetti did not want to leave Juventus, but faced with this remarkable reality he chose to opt for Fiorentina. Ofcourse they will offer him a contract, Corvino is one of the most respected guys in the game, he knows that Zanetti will do good.
Wait, you did just compare Zanetti to two legends? Aside from that, Nedved was just about the fittest footballer you will ever see play the game, and Del Piero is a forward, not to mention the captain and bandiera.

Zanetti was falling apart physically, his age is important but not the factor. In his position you need some kind of conditioning, notice how he starred in matches when he came on only for the last 20 minutes or so?

Having said that I agree with Andy that Zanetti was the alternative to Felipe Melo. However, if Felipe Melo is off form how many consecutive games would we get from Zanetti? Not many.

Durden

May 11, 2006
So, what exactly would you have wanted him to say???????????

The ONLY reason why this was even brought up was because of random bloggers being confused as to why he was sold. So, he gives his explanation, puts Zannetti in a better position, and that isn't good enough for you??

And as far as Dago is concerned, it was Gigli that was running his mouth to the media
Well I would have liked him to just say this part - quoting football-italia.net.

"At that point there was a need to release a midfielder and when the opportunity to sell Zanetti arrived we took it.

“It was also our last chance to make some money from his sale as he would have been available on a free next summer.

“We had to do something economically as a sale also means one less salary to pay.”

And left out this part

Zanetti signed a three-year deal with the Viola yesterday, terms which he had unsuccessfully asked Juventus for.

“We couldn’t give him a new contract like that,” Secco revealed. “We invested a lot of money on Felipe Melo in that role and, given his age, he is the future.

The Bianconeri official also underlined the point that Zanetti’s personal wishes were an important factor in his switch south.

“He asked us to be sold,” added Secco. “And we don’t keep any players who are not 100 per cent sure that they want to stay.”

Which apparently pissed off Zanetti since he said this:

“They lacked respect. I heard Secco saying some things that I really must rebut. He claimed I had asked for a first team place, but I have never in my life requested such a thing.

“My guarantees are hard work on the pitch. Secco said I demanded a three-year contract, which is another absurd lie.

“How could I request a three-year deal when we never even discussed my contract? I didn’t speak to Secco at all.”

The Bianconeri director also noted that selling Zanetti for £1m was a bargain, considering he had so many injury problems.

“I don’t think I was the only one to be injured at Juventus in the last year,” retaliated the 32-year-old.

“If that was the problem, they could have offered me a one-year pay-as-you-play contract.”

And its true Gigli was the worst one in the Dago saga, which is another problem since it should be Secco dealing with the transfer negotiations, not Gigli.

adelove

The Very Special One
Sep 29, 2003
Zanetti: 'Juve lied about me!'
Wednesday 12 August, 2009

Fiorentina signing Cristiano Zanetti blasted Alessio Secco’s “absurd lies. Juventus had no intention of renewing my contract. They lacked respect.”

The midfielder completed a surprise transfer to the Stadio Artemio Franchi and director of sport Alessio Secco suggested yesterday that it was their last chance to cash in on the veteran.

“Let us not say absurd things, this story needs to be explained properly. I took into account Juve’s behaviour towards me and looked around at my options,” Zanetti told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

“They never had any intention of renewing my contract and I was the only player there with a year left to run on his deal.

“They lacked respect. I heard Secco saying some things that I really must rebut. He claimed I had asked for a first team place, but I have never in my life requested such a thing.

“My guarantees are hard work on the pitch. Secco said I demanded a three-year contract, which is another absurd lie.

“How could I request a three-year deal when we never even discussed my contract? I didn’t speak to Secco at all.”

The Bianconeri director also noted that selling Zanetti for £1m was a bargain, considering he had so many injury problems.

“I don’t think I was the only one to be injured at Juventus in the last year,” retaliated the 32-year-old.

“If that was the problem, they could have offered me a one-year pay-as-you-play contract.”

Instead he penned a two-year deal with Fiorentina and the option for a third, returning to the club where he started his career.

“I feel absolutely fine. A year ago people acted as if I was the only one with trouble. Instead as the months went on we all got injured.

“I was very angry, but now I feel better. This matter is over for me. I am happy, very happy, to be at Fiorentina.

“I would never have said no to Fiorentina, as they know how to treat people. That’s enough for me.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zanetti's words hurt so much, they hurt even more because I know he's right. He was really mistreated by Secco and co. It's a darn shame really, by reading the article I felt I was reading about Inter, not Juventus.

U're wrong Cristiano...Juventus wanted and still wants you. Juventus is that little kid in Malta with a faded Del Piero poster on his bedroom wall; Juventus are the thousands who spend the better part of their day on juventuz.com and other fans sites discussing the club..that is Juventus...
Unfortunately Secco & Blanc are calling the shots,they are the powers-that-be,but they will never be Juventus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)