Cristiano Zanetti (2 Viewers)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
So in other words, Rab, Zanetti would rather stay here, sit on the bench, and collect 2 million dollars this year while playing very little, rather than have the opportunity to play for his hometown team, get significantly more playing time, and get the 3 year contract that he was looking for?
It's not about what he would rather do. Poulsen and Tiago haven't proved themselves like him haven't worked like him and he doesn't earn as much as they earn if I'm not wrong.

The man said he never asked for a 1st team place, Secco said that there was 1year left on his contract therefore they both decided that it would be better to ship him off to Fiorentina. To me it sounds that he wasn't wanted by our mang for unknown reasons and It's a shame.

Had it been the first time then I would be the first one to shut my mouth and zip it, but to have extension problems with Ale, Trezeguet, Gigi, Camoranesi, and so on doesn't sound right at all...

Buy on AliExpress.com

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
And as far as the contract extensions Rab, Its called a business. That's the way business is run. In other words, they should just cower to the demands of the player everytime an issue arises??

If the players you mentioned were not happy, they were well within their right to leave, yet they chose not to do so. You can say that it was about loyalty to the badge, or whatever you want to call it. The bottom line is that these players knew full well that they would NEVER receive these types of wages anywhere else, considering what stages they are at in their careers, from any team remotely close to the status of Juventus.

Yes, Zanetti was a class player, but there really would have been no room for him here,especially with Poulsen not wanting to leave. So, what would the other option have been?? To sell Tiago?? Nope. He didn't want to leave either. Keep zanetti on the bench for most of the season, at the salary he's being paid? What type of good business sense is that?

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
It's not about what he would rather do. Poulsen and Tiago haven't proved themselves like him haven't worked like him and he doesn't earn as much as they earn if I'm not wrong.

The man said he never asked for a 1st team place, Secco said that there was 1year left on his contract therefore they both decided that it would be better to ship him off to Fiorentina. To me it sounds that he wasn't wanted by our mang for unknown reasons and It's a shame.

Had it been the first time then I would be the first one to shut my mouth and zip it, but to have extension problems with Ale, Trezeguet, Gigi, Camoranesi, and so on doesn't sound right at all...
See, this is where we disagree.

I don't think its a question of whether or not he was wanted by management. Due to Tiago and Poulsen's UNWILLINGNESS to move, they really had no choice.

And Secco never said that Zanetti demanded a 1st team place. If you can find exactly where Secco said this, then I will gladly retract what I have been saying.

This team does not have the financial wherewithall to stay afloat when a 9th or 10th midfielder is making 2 million dollars a year.

Someone had to go. If it was up to me, it would have been Poulsen in a heartbeat

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
And what is your definition of "extension problems", especially considering the Captain.

Why, because he wasn't the absolute first priority on their list??

Alex already knew, and has said this on numerous occasions, that he understood that they were trying to take care of transfer business to SURROUND HIM WITH THE PIECES needed to be able to field a strong squad, before they would work on his contract extensions.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
And as far as the contract extensions Rab, Its called a business. That's the way business is run. In other words, they should just cower to the demands of the player everytime an issue arises??

If the players you mentioned were not happy, they were well within their right to leave, yet they chose not to do so. You can say that it was about loyalty to the badge, or whatever you want to call it. The bottom line is that these players knew full well that they would NEVER receive these types of wages anywhere else, considering what stages they are at in their careers, from any team remotely close to the status of Juventus.
Because it is about the badge and loyalty Sergio, they probably wont have the same wages anywhere else but they did shut the lights off themselves when they decided to play in Serie B no? and not playing in CL for two years isn't easy specially for the likes of Dp and Gigi and others..

There are ways to do your business, I can appreciate several things our Mang has done but at the same time there are lot of unacceptable things going on. Those players that I mentioned have done much more than the likes of Secco or Cobolli. To me Trezeguet and Camoranesi let alone Del Piero are above our Mang and should be treated with respect.

They're the ones that took us back to Serie A bro, Del Piero, Trezeguet, Zanetti, Gigi Camoranesi etc took us back for accepting to play in Serie B more than Secco and Cobolli and the whole mang.

Yes, Zanetti was a class player, but there really would have been no room for him here,especially with Poulsen not wanting to leave. So, what would the other option have been?? To sell Tiago?? Nope. He didn't want to leave either. Keep zanetti on the bench for most of the season, at the salary he's being paid? What type of good business sense is that?
I'm sorry bro, but there's no one superior to Zanetti in our team, not even Melo. If anything they're on the same road but no one is ahead of him. His vision and contribution on the field is superb to me and almost every Juve fan.

And selling him for what 1.5m? I wouldn't call that a good business TBH.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
And what is your definition of "extension problems", especially considering the Captain.

Why, because he wasn't the absolute first priority on their list??

Alex already knew, and has said this on numerous occasions, that he understood that they were trying to take care of transfer business to SURROUND HIM WITH THE PIECES needed to be able to field a strong squad, before they would work on his contract extensions.
No, I'm not talking about his contract renewal 2years ago when it took his Brother Stefano almost 2months or more to renew his contract after Ale accepting a huge pay-cut to his wage.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I'm sympathetic to the whole Serie B argument, but Zanetti? I can understand Buffon or Trezeguet, they would have easily found new clubs and good salaries. Zanetti though, where would have moved up? To what big club exactly? We took him for nothing because he wasn't worth much to anyone. A player in his position knows perfectly well that his best chance at success is to stay at the big club through the setbacks and hope for return to greatness. You call it loyalty, I call it making a decision that benefits you most in the long run.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
No player is above the team, Rab.

No one.

You can call it disrespect, but the fact of the matter is, these players have more liberties in this sport than practically every other sport that is out there today.

Not happy with your current situation, a la Ibrahimovic??

Fine, take your case to the media, have your agents negotiate behind everyone's back, and force your way out of a squad that is paying you ridiculous wages.

There are players in American sports that would KILL for that type of liberty that European fottball players have.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Because it is about the badge and loyalty Sergio, they probably wont have the same wages anywhere else but they did shut the lights off themselves when they decided to play in Serie B no? and not playing in CL for two years isn't easy specially for the likes of Dp and Gigi and others..

There are ways to do your business, I can appreciate several things our Mang has done but at the same time there are lot of unacceptable things going on. Those players that I mentioned have done much more than the likes of Secco or Cobolli. To me Trezeguet and Camoranesi let alone Del Piero are above our Mang and should be treated with respect.

They're the ones that took us back to Serie A bro, Del Piero, Trezeguet, Zanetti, Gigi Camoranesi etc took us back for accepting to play in Serie B more than Secco and Cobolli and the whole mang.

I'm sorry bro, but there's no one superior to Zanetti in our team, not even Melo. If anything they're on the same road but no one is ahead of him. His vision and contribution on the field is superb to me and almost every Juve fan.

And selling him for what 1.5m? I wouldn't call that a good business TBH.

Instead of losing him for nothing next year

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
Zanetti wouldn't have started though...at least not that often. Camo, Marchisio, Melo and Sissoko were all ahead of Zanetti. Ciro might have even considered Tiago a better tactical fit for his 3 man midfield than Zanetti too. Considering he wouldn't have featured that often and that we needed to sell at least one midfielder, it does make sense to me. And we can't say they didn't try to sell Poulsen because we know they've been working hard on it, but he didn't want to leave.

If he was so vital to Ciro's plans, I think he would have blocked the move. Considering the factors I mentioned though, I don't think it was that bad a sale. Like I said, he wouldn't have featured that often anyway. I too have a big soft spot for him though and wish Poulsen just agreed to an exit so Zanetti could have stayed. I'm definitely going to miss him.

scottazzurri

Del Piero's understudy
Feb 21, 2007
Can I offer my two worth on Cristiano Zanetti's switch to Tuscany.............

Good business sense as he frequently seemed to me to be getting a little injury prone.........

Given the figures bandied about regarding his wages, and due to Poulsen and Tiago both unwilling to move it seems prudent financial sense to offload Zanetti.

With Claudio Marchisio, Mauro German and Tiago all ahead in the pecking order, why not cash in on Cristiano??????

He will be missed by the faithful for helping us out of Serie B.........But Juve are not in the business of sentimentality.......

Ask Gianluca Vialli......Fabrizio Ravanelli.......Moreno Torricelli.........Angelo Di Livio.........

All of these great players were moved on......arguably who were better than CZ, so it now falls to us Juve fans to trust in Ciro F

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
Players come and go. I want to thank CZ for his services but we did a good thing cashing in on him now. I agree. he was moving down the pecking order.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
"Zanetti chose to play in serie B with Juve" might be a good argument to say how loyal he was if you guys say the same thing about Marchionni.

I never heard you say that though.

Durden

May 11, 2006
#1) Ok.....................So, he was telling the truth that Juventus couldn't or wouldn't give him a 3 year contract,and he was stating the obvious that Melo is part of the future.

#2) That last comment basically falls in line with Ferrara's thinking, that if you don't want to be here and give 100%, then he doesn't want you on the team.

I still fail to see what parts of that article that quotes Secco is so bad.
Oh, and one more thing.

Where in that interview did Secco make mention of Zanetti's age and injuries????????
It seems to me that the part that pissed Zanetti off was
1) He never asked for a contract like that since he apparently would have played on a one-year-pay-as-you-play contract.
2) That he never asked to be sold

Secco must have known that selling Zanetti for small money to the viola would upset some fans so he could easily have left the last part out to avoid pissing Zanetti off and just said there was an opportunity to sell and we needed to cut the wage bill. That way Zanetti couldn't have said anything about Secco lied etc.
My point is that Secco put himself into this situation for no reason. He and the board needs to learn the phrase - less is more

3) I don't know where Zanetti got that from, maybe Secco gave another interview? I have only read the articles from football-italia.net
But yes someone is making stuff up, but again Secco could have kept it simple and we wouldn't be having this discussion right now..

adelove

The Very Special One
Sep 29, 2003
The reference to Marchionni's 'seamless' exit and the lack of a similar display of affection towards him is perhaps not so apt when you consider that:
1. he stalled for a bit initially to get the wages he wanted(which was not in itself a crime)
2. he arguably did not make as much of as impression as a player as zanetti did,hence he had no place in fan's affections
3.using him as part of the deal to bring in melo meant that there was a PAINFULLY OBVIOUS benefit from his exit,hence opportunity cost conseiderations kicked in

zanetti on the other hand:
1. injury permitting has proved himself to be a value-adding member of team(i recall his goal-scoring return from injury and generally good form during our Serie B spell and our 1st season in Serie A after the calciopoli)
2.is supposed 2 be earning 2.4m Euros p/yr(which is less than we are paying Tiago,Poulsen or Zebina-although they have a longer shelf-life than he does),and
considering we sold him for 2m Euros which is perhaps a healthy profit since he could have left us on a free at the end of next season(in the absence of an extension) it's not a financial transaction of earth-shattering proportions which can have a monumental impact on our fortunes

if we r looking at financial burdens, then poulsen and tiago(3m and 2.6 m respectively) have a more significant impact on our annual wage-bill and considering their ages are more likely than zanetti to be a barrier to marchisio breaking through if they come good

however, the board having been lawfully appointed reserve the right to run things as they deem fit(within legal and financial ambit!) and so long as they're doing this,then they r in order

the entire affair rankles more than most because of:
1. the widespread affection for zanetti and the perception that he's been forced through the revolving doors
2.the reinforcement of that feeling by zanetti contrary to secco's assertions

i think the board's approach to extending contracts of some of the older players is conditioned by their desire to bring in fresh players over the next couple of years, and perhaps the need to make room for such acquisitions physically and financially(for instance how will we have coped with the current midfield roster if nedved had been given an extension?)

all-in-all, both parties have had their way.the board have more room and $$$ to manouever with and zanetti has an extended career ..it's not picture-perfect, but it's definitely win-win

..now the board(and perhaps the fans as well!) must pray that taigo and poulsen do not leave us with egg on our faces in the final analysis

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Few things...

1- Reading both Secco's statement and Zanetti's statement, it's pretty clear that Zanetti didn't want to leave but it was our mang decision. And what a decision, this has to be the most retarded foolish decision I've seen since sometime now.

2- Zanetti was pure class an example to every player out there. Giving his everyting on the pitch and never caused a single trouble whether he was selected in the 1st 11 or not. So show some respect ffs.

3- It's amazing how some of you still defends our mang acts towards our players, specially when it comes to the extension, from Del Piero to Buffon, Nedved, Trezeguet, Camoranesi etc... really amazing.

4- No one is saying Secco is a devil or our mang should be shot, but it's about players being treated unfairly. Much morel like Reggina or Wigan type of mang.

5- When you wish Zanetti the worst of luck to Fiorentina and insult him but wish the best to Zlatan Ibrahimovic at Inter, well, this says pretty much everything.

Last but not least, I wish Cristiano all the best for being a classy faithful player. I know he will do well because he's one great player.

All the best Cristiano.
:agree: Excellent post :tup:

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
..now the board(and perhaps the fans as well!) must pray that taigo and poulsen do not leave us with egg on our faces in the final analysis
But it's painfully clear why we kept these two and why we sold Zanetti. We tried to sell both Tiago and Poulsen and they just don't want to leave (it's different this year with Tiago though. It was Ferrara's choice to keep him).
Now this is where you can talk about bad moves of our board. Paying wages that some players don't deserve, which makes it incredibile hard to sell them later.

Also, handling Poulsen's situation was scandalous. They literally tell him "We don't fucking want you here". They didn't even take him to Sevilla for the Peace Cup, and now, like nothing happened, we go on with life and we love and need Poulsen again.

These kind of situations show some kind of inexperience, or amateurism if you wish, and this is where the board deserves all the criticism.

But this Zanetti drama was really blown out of proportions.
With Melo ariving someone had to leave. Zanetti was the only choice after what happened with Poulsen.

We can't allow to do what Milan did. We can't offer new contracts to "Dida, Kaladze, Cafu, Ronaldo, Serginho, Favalli, Ambrosini etc" because very soon these older players will not perform at the level expected from the wages they're getting.
Guys like Del Piero are another story, but we simply can't offer new contracts to Legrottaglie, Zanetti, Zebina, Salihamidzic and the likes.
It sounds unfair, but if we don't want to end in deep shit, we must make some tough decisions.

The problem here is that what the board says is right and very logical, but they're contradicting themselves with Cannavaro.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Alen, a couple of points I'd like to make in response to your post. In regards to the wages for Poulsen and Tiago, but to a larger extent, Tiago.

Consider the circumstances the team was facing as they just re-gained promotion to Serie A. They simply had to overpay some players to come on board, for the simple fact that although they returned to top flight much sooner than expected, there was still an air of uncertainty as to how good the team would really be.

And in regards to your last statement about the possible contradiction with Cannavaro, consider this.

Although Cannavaro came back on a free transfer like Zanetti, the depth, or subsequent lack thereof, in the back, instantly makes him more valuable to the club than Zanetti.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)