Cristiano Zanetti (3 Viewers)

Apr 16, 2008
When Juventus have purchased Almiron, Tiago, Poulsen and ultimately Melo, no wonder Zanetti is fed up. I don't think Secco have approached him with a contract extension either, in fact, I don't think Zanetti have been given any kind of attention this summer from the Juventus board.

I think he would have stayed for another year, or even further, if he recieved any signal from the club that Juventus reckoned him to be usuful in any way.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
When Juventus have purchased Almiron, Tiago, Poulsen and ultimately Melo, no wonder Zanetti is fed up. I don't think Secco have approached him with a contract extension either, in fact, I don't think Zanetti have been given any kind of attention this summer from the Juventus board.

I think he would have stayed for another year, or even further, if he recieved any signal from the club that Juventus reckoned him to be usuful in any way.
Why would Juve offer a contract extension to a player who missed the majority of last season through injury?

He would have to prove his fitness before Juve would even think about talking to him.

Apr 16, 2008
Why would Juve offer a contract extension to a player who missed the majority of last season through injury?

He would have to prove his fitness before Juve would even think about talking to him.
I'm not saying Juventus would, but Zanetti have proved his worth in the club. He fought back and ended last season on a high, there is no reason for any of us fans to think his health is any concern.

Zanetti have proved his fitness this summer and at the end of last season.

Apr 16, 2008
Simple, because he's loyal, italien and he played in Serie B. These factors are enough to keep on renewing contracts for life.
The simple truth is that he is more than good enough to play for Juventus, that's why his contract expiration should have recieved some kind of attention from the Juventus Board.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
From what I've seen of the two players, the Italian is by far superior.

A player like, with emphasis on like, is much more important to the true Juventus than a player like, again like, Zidane. He personified a loyalty and workmanship that a star like Zidane never gets the opportunity to do. The Juventus i started following during the 90's was built up by hard working and loyal Italians like Birindelli, Tacchinardi, Di Livio etc. To spice up the team, players like Zidane, Nedved and perhaps even Diego arrive and steal the headlines.

These stars can be found anywhere, but the real heart of Juventus is the loyal Italian who wants to work hard for il Bianconeri rather than spend his career in some other club.

I know I don't have many followers in my romantic view of Juventus, but that doesn't matter. Zanetti is gone and neither me, nor Claudio Marchisio, can understand why.

It's a shame and a disgrace, and this Mercato is a disaster.
Are you a plant, or an idiot?

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Wow. I am amazed. Did you just join the forum to complain about the Zanetti transfer? Judging by your username, I am not sure I should give much credence to your opinion, as you may have a penchant for endorsing mediocre players (although Zanetti is clearly not one).

As for the transfer itself, have you perhaps considered that this is a world cup year, and that with Zanetti being 32 and injury prone, he might have opted to leave the club to get more playing time and ultimately a shot at a world cup appearance, perhaps his final opportuniy considering his age and well documented injury troubles?

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Ferrara: «We are in good health»

After two days of rest, the team got back to work. As scheduled, the bianconeri met in Vinovo for an afternoon session, the first and last before the exhibition match at Villar Perosa tomorrow.

Before starting work – with a reduced squad due to the absence of the internationals-, Ciro Ferrara spoke of the current situation on Juventus Channel. The coach spoke of the value of the match against the Primavera, but also of the moment of the team, in particular after the transfer of Zanetti to Fiorentina.

The first words were dedicated to the moment of the team. «The state of health of the team is good notwithstanding the defeat against Villareal. The programme was carried out with the right concentration and a defeat won’t make us lose our security. We are trying to build a regular team, which will have to last and aim for important objectives, objectives which we will not change not even after the match in Salerno».

One match is over and there comes another. I less intense one, compared to the one against the Spanish side, but more meaningful from a historical point of view. Tomorrow there is the exhibition match in Villar Perosa and Ferrara is ready to face it in a new role: «I’ve been there as a player and then as the person responsible for the youth sector. Now, I will make my debut as a coach. Going to Villar is always exciting. I remember my first time in 1994. Tomorrow we will go there without the international players and with a group made up of just 13 players and therefore we will need the support of some Primavera players. It is an appointment which we cherish».

There will not be the internationals at Villar Perosa but the team will also be missing Momo Sissoko and Diego, who are recovering and Zanetti who has been transferred to Fiorentina. Ferrara analyzed the squad situation, especially after the last act of the transfer market. «Sissoko will be out for a month and his recovery will be slower while for Diego we are optimistic and the recovery time will be short. Zanetti? He had the opportunity to go to Fiorentina and lengthen his contract. On my part, I have no intention of keeping players who do not want to stay or force them to stay against their will. We are still covered in that role however, even because at this point Poulsen will not be leaving. Christian always trained seriously and professionally and I even complimented him for the professionalism he put into the training camp in Pinzolo».
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

'Nuff said. Case closed.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
As I said in my first post, I now see there has been the usual ridicolous overblown melodrama over nothing (I like him like any of you do, but seriously, the frenzy is stupid), selling him makes total sense and is understandable, especially with the Poulsen angle. But despite his fine service, his age, injury prone history (we were bit lucky in a way, only last season injury ridden, he had a streak for it his whole career) and the fact what changed in last 18 months made him less needed, with Momo, Marchisio and now Melo making his presence more and more expendable.

Would have been a squad player who is backup at most, and in an age you start to decline in, physically and in overall (he got less and less mobile, was gaining fitness back from the injury, but still noticeably too slow) and 1 year contract that was hardly gonna be renewed, I understand why he is sold, and why Zanetti himself wants to go somewhere he can get the minutes he wants, especially finish off his career a bit in his home town club. I respect and understand that (Clubs are bussiness driven, but IMO we would HARDLY sold him if he didnt want to go, him wanting to gave them an option to ease the headaches a little). He would have gone on a bosman next summer, so its better he goes now, for both him and us, if it means no profit for us (positive write off in our accounts since he was free transfer, unlike a Poulsen sale), and him in a possible sitaution where he doesnt get much minutes as he would want.

Marceℓℓo

Mar 16, 2007
Wow. I am amazed. Did you just join the forum to complain about the Zanetti transfer? Judging by your username, I am not sure I should give much credence to your opinion, as you may have a penchant for endorsing mediocre players (although Zanetti is clearly not one).

As for the transfer itself, have you perhaps considered that this is a world cup year, and that with Zanetti being 32 and injury prone, he might have opted to leave the club to get more playing time and ultimately a shot at a world cup appearance, perhaps his final opportuniy considering his age and well documented injury troubles?
He doesn't want to play for the Azzurri anymore.

Meh,after seeing the reasons behind the deal it was an ok deal I guess.

Thank you and bye,Cristiano.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Thanks for the past few seasons Cristiano.

Despite not being the most glamorous, he was one of my favourites. A superb passer of the ball and up their with Alex as being our best player in our first season back in Serie A.

Who can forget his through balls and that goal against Atalanta:

Alessandro

Sep 13, 2002
Hey people! Stop it.
Zanetti is good player, but never a true champion like Davids, Zidan, Nedved and so on.
He is just a decent player with some good sides (long passes and so) and some bad (fitness, pace etc).
We are building new-mega-super-team. So selling 32-aged injure prone can't change something in our way to Renaissance.
Even if this situation is sad. Sad but true.

ps. My best wishes to Cristiano in Fiora.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)