Cristiano Zanetti (3 Viewers)

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
I wonder if Ciro would ever attempt to acclimate Tiago to that holding role, as the second option... and there is always the 4-2-3-1 option. It probably wouldn't work (it seems a counterproductive notion, since he's been much better in the new formation, now that he has the freedom to largely forego his defensive responsibilities - comparatively - and really express himself... of course, support from the coach needs to be accounted for as well), but he's a pretty good passer, a decent tackler... of course, I've never seen him play in that role.

Thoughts on Tiago? A disaster in that holding role?
Even Tiago himself said that he fucked up when Ranieri was at Juve coz he played him in that role while he'd have preferred to do some attacking duties instead of defensive ones...so definitely the answer is NO!
while i have to agree that he's a good tackler.:agree:

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
just like i said before i think that we will sign another player(rafinha,LB) and selling zanetti is to raise some cash, i will not be surprised if we sell poulsen too

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I think he will be too injury prone in this role. Last time we tried it - did not work out... but then it was Ruinieri's fault!, maybe...:alen:
Yeah, it definitely seems a shady idea, and Tiago has been fragile in his time at Juve. IMO, it would be wrong to ask him to adjust regularly to that role, especially now that he's finally playing well. But if Zanetti goes, I really can't see any other CM's arriving, so someone will have to adjust and give support to a position that isn't particularly natural to them...

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Rollie, do you mean DM in 4-2-3-1 (which I don't think we'll play because it only has one striker, while we have four very good ones) or in 4-3-1-3? If you mean 4-3-1-2 I think Tiago can play in any of the "3", but preferably on the left.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Yeah, it definitely seems a shady idea, and Tiago has been fragile in his time at Juve. IMO, it would be wrong to ask him to adjust regularly to that role, especially now that he's finally playing well. But if Zanetti goes, I really can't see any other CM's arriving, so someone will have to adjust and give support to a position that isn't particularly natural to them...
Another CM is the last thing we need.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Rollie, do you mean DM in 4-2-3-1 (which I don't think we'll play because it only has one striker, while we have four very good ones) or in 4-3-1-3? If you mean 4-3-1-2 I think Tiago can play in any of the "3", but preferably on the left.
I was thinking about the center mid of the 4-3-1-2 buddy... where I think that Melo will have a monster season for us... I like him on the left as well... I also like Marchisio there, in a position he often played with the Azzurini...

Another CM is the last thing we need.
Oh yeah, I totally agree... just mentioned that because Diarra's name was dropped by Mark a couple pages back... which would be a TERRIBLE move IMO and because I don't think we have another player immediately suited to that center holding spot.

Not to mention that Secco has bought more CM's than any of us ever would have expected over these past few summers...

Apr 29, 2006
Yeap. I see him only on the left in 4-3-X-X....
anything in 4-2-x-x with him being one of the 2 cMs/DMs - he is just not up for it!
But then I do not account for the Ciro-factor so it is hard to see the final result.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Rolls Royce, I can't see Tiago playing Zanetti's role. He really only works as someone who works off of a good DM to one of his sides in a 3-man midfield. He doesn't have the tackling ability.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
I was thinking about the center mid of the 4-3-1-2 buddy... where I think that Melo will have a monster season for us... I like him on the left as well... I also like Marchisio there, in a position he often played with the Azzurini...
I think against weak opposition Tiago can play in the centre of the 3 but against good teams, no way. I just wouldn't trust him at all.

anything in 4-2-x-x with him being one of the 2 cMs/DMs - he is just not up for it!
But then I do not account for the Ciro-factor so it is hard to see the final result.
:agree:

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Sorry man, to be clear, there's no way I think that Tiago should ever be considered as a DM in the 4-2-3-1...

Oh well, so many questions for our team... can't wait for this season to start.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
I think the bottom line on all of these tactical discussions is, we will not have a fixed starting 11. It'll vary depending on tactics, the opposition, injuries, suspensions.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Rolls Royce, I can't see Tiago playing Zanetti's role. He really only works as someone who works off of a good DM to one of his sides in a 3-man midfield. He doesn't have the tackling ability.
Ha. I haven't heard that one in awhile, buddy. One of my nick names in highschool... that and Rollska.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to fit his characteristics very well at all. I really like to see a player attempt the role first I guess... but he certainly does seem a little timid for that spot. Not decisive enough... I really like Melo's confidence when he's spreading the play... not afraid to use his physicality to protect the ball, and he's pretty damn accurate with those long passes.

Tiago always seems to panic a bit when under pressure, and (last year) tends to plays the ball laterally or backwards far too often.

I think against weak opposition Tiago can play in the centre of the 3 but against good teams, no way. I just wouldn't trust him at all.
Yeah, he doesn't inspire confidence protecting a creaking Canna, and our gaping full back holes. Can't wait to see more of Caceres...

I think the bottom line on all of these tactical discussions is, we will not have a fixed starting 11. It'll vary depending on tactics, the opposition, injuries, suspensions.
Agreed... and I'm excited for it. Such a breath of fresh air, after Ranieri's stagnant, stubborn system.

Apr 29, 2006
In all honesty though - we spent quite a lot of money on the market this season to end up achieving pretty much the same results like last year (2nd in SEria A, Some nice CL games~1/8-1/4 final). I think that Ferrara knows that better than any of us and also he knows that Zanetti would be missed in a certain manner by the midfield.
So there are two possible conclusions:
1. We are going to fill a position that gives us more than zanetti takes away.
2. We are going to play a midfield system that does not favour Zanetti.
And here should be noted that he is a downgraded version of Alonso - therefore I think we would move more with the ball instead of making long passes forward. And ain't that the thing that everyone here bitched about last year?

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
I think it is a lot more cynical than that...the only reason I can see is that we weren't gonna renew his contract next season and better to make some money off his transfer now rather than lose him for free next year

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Reports: Zanetti to Fiorentina
Monday 10 August, 2009
There are strong reports that Juventus will sell Cristiano Zanetti to Fiorentina some time today after a rapid negotiation process.

The two arch rivals have already done business this summer with Felipe Melo moving to Turin for £21.5m and Marco Marchionni.

Now Zanetti looks set to follow his former teammate to Tuscany for just £1.5m after Sky Sport Italia reported a deal had been struck late Sunday night.

The transfer was rushed through so that Zanetti could register in the Fiorentina squad for their Champions League preliminary round tie with Sporting Lisbon.

According to these reports, he will sign a three-year contract and agreed to reduce his wages.

It is a return to his origins, as Zanetti started his career in the Fiorentina youth academy, making his Serie A debut on May 14 1995.

The 32-year-old has been at Juve since 2006, when he joined as a free agent from Inter.

As a knock-on effect of Zanetti’s departure and Momo Sissoko’s continuing injury worries, Christian Poulsen could well be taken off the market.

Dec 31, 2008
xactly but IMO one more fullback preferably Left is a necessary addition in the team and we can hope the board does something about it

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
I've seen him play the 1st time around when he was at Getafe. Didn't they buy him from Real at 25m € or something? Then I see Real buy him back for like 7m €? WTF?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)