Cristiano Ronaldo (38 Viewers)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Some stats and thoughts on his free-kicks...

He has the longest streak for free-kicks without scoring in Serie A history. I can't find the exact stat but he had 18 consecutive misses by September 2019, and didn't score a free-kick in the next 18 games until he did against Torino, so it is surely 25+, maybe even 30 without scoring in Serie A. The second placed player is Camille Ciano who didn't score from 21 consecutive attempts before Frosinone were relegated.

His current record for Juventus is 1 goal from 64 attempts - a 1.5% conversion rate. Truly, truly abysmal. 42 of those 64 (exactly 2/3) have hit the wall.

He scored more for Real Madrid, but they are hardly numbers to write home about. In his earlier career he would get 4 or 5 per season, now he's down to 2 or 3 since 2014. He had a spell in La Liga where he didn't score in over 50 attempts. In domestic games for Real Madrid (league & cup) he scored 20 goals from 313 attempts (6.4% conversion rate). He has scored 9 CL free-kicks, however, including 2 in QFs, 1 in a SF, and also in a CWC final (I remember this goal against Gremio went straight through the middle of an extremely poor wall). This coupled with some notable ones for Portugal has boosted his reputation. His style and run up is iconic, it's a seller, but the stats don't lie.

His "knuckleball" style doesn't work, at all. It quite literally has never worked in a Juve kit. The one he scored against Torino he changed his style and went for more of a traditional whipped, curling effort.

One goal in 2.5 seasons. Enough is enough. Let anyone other than him take the free-kicks.

And before anyone quotes me the next time he scores a free-kick;
1) It will be an anomaly
2) Why would I be upset at Juve scoring a goal?
I don't think you need to worry about that much.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
He shouldn't be taking freekicks - it's really that simple. He sucks and fucks up almost every opportunity we get with those terrible fks he takes. I don't care if he's CR7 - his conversion rate is abysmal and he's simply not good enough @ FKs.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
He shouldn't be taking freekicks - it's really that simple. He sucks and fucks up almost every opportunity we get with those terrible fks he takes. I don't care if he's CR7 - his conversion rate is abysmal and he's simply not good enough @ FKs.
why we not do the flick free kick. you know where one player taps the ball 2 cm and then other player shoot rocket?

why we not do this

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
We're paying him 30m. Why can't we tell him to f off from taking FKs? He's our employee, getting paid (handsomely) to do his job. Doing what's good for the team is his job, and FKs are part of the game. What's so impossible about telling him his leg spreading services aren't required esp when he's this horrendously poor at it (second worse Serie A record) with zero trend showing progress?

Also sub his ass out when needed. Sarri did that last season. Pirlo once, then stoped. But no one wants to address FK issue. That can be an important element of game that's totally missing now.

May 25, 2019
Some stats and thoughts on his free-kicks...

He has the longest streak for free-kicks without scoring in Serie A history. I can't find the exact stat but he had 18 consecutive misses by September 2019, and didn't score a free-kick in the next 18 games until he did against Torino, so it is surely 25+, maybe even 30 without scoring in Serie A. The second placed player is Camille Ciano who didn't score from 21 consecutive attempts before Frosinone were relegated.

His current record for Juventus is 1 goal from 64 attempts - a 1.5% conversion rate. Truly, truly abysmal. 42 of those 64 (exactly 2/3) have hit the wall.

He scored more for Real Madrid, but they are hardly numbers to write home about. In his earlier career he would get 4 or 5 per season, now he's down to 2 or 3 since 2014. He had a spell in La Liga where he didn't score in over 50 attempts. In domestic games for Real Madrid (league & cup) he scored 20 goals from 313 attempts (6.4% conversion rate). He has scored 9 CL free-kicks, however, including 2 in QFs, 1 in a SF, and also in a CWC final (I remember this goal against Gremio went straight through the middle of an extremely poor wall). This coupled with some notable ones for Portugal has boosted his reputation. His style and run up is iconic, it's a seller, but the stats don't lie.

His "knuckleball" style doesn't work, at all. It quite literally has never worked in a Juve kit. The one he scored against Torino he changed his style and went for more of a traditional whipped, curling effort.

One goal in 2.5 seasons. Enough is enough. Let anyone other than him take the free-kicks.

And before anyone quotes me the next time he scores a free-kick;
1) It will be an anomaly
2) Why would I be upset at Juve scoring a goal?
My son's former coach always tried to get him to shoot with his "laces", but he can blast it with the inside of his foot and has both top notched power/velocity and pretty good accuracy shooting this way. The best FK takers can score with a number of types of kicks because they keep the goalie guessing among other things. I didn't see the FK today, but when you go up just looking at hammering the ball and not hitting it with good placement it has to be a perfect shot to score.

sgjuveboy

Oct 31, 2012
Just read that Zlatan said that Fat Ronaldo is the best player ever.

Another ridiculous comment to subtly take shot at the undisputed GOAT CR7.

Fat Ronaldo is just another case of Ronaldinho: talented circus individuals who ran out of steam five years into their peak and wasted it all on hoes drinks and food.

Zlatan these days are getting more and more irrelevant. Used to respect him, but his constant running away to farmers league in France and USA to stroke his ego is starting to make him look like a wuss who is hugging his past glory. Another bitter roy keane.

- - - Updated - - -

why we not do the flick free kick. you know where one player taps the ball 2 cm and then other player shoot rocket?

why we not do this
Because then it will not be considered a free kick in records. And Cr7 will be pissed.

spurdo

Jun 4, 2016
Just read that Zlatan said that Fat Ronaldo is the best player ever.

Another ridiculous comment to subtly take shot at the undisputed GOAT CR7.

Fat Ronaldo is just another case of Ronaldinho: talented circus individuals who ran out of steam five years into their peak and wasted it all on hoes drinks and food.

Zlatan these days are getting more and more irrelevant. Used to respect him, but his constant running away to farmers league in France and USA to stroke his ego is starting to make him look like a wuss who is hugging his past glory. Another bitter roy keane.

- - - Updated - - -

Because then it will not be considered a free kick in records. And Cr7 will be pissed.
Zlatans childhood idol was Ronaldo and he has always stated that he is the best ever, so it's not new news at all and shouldn't be taken as a shot at CR7. Stop obsessing over Cristiano.

sgjuveboy

Oct 31, 2012
Zlatans childhood idol was Ronaldo and he has always stated that he is the best ever, so it's not new news at all and shouldn't be taken as a shot at CR7. Stop obsessing over Cristiano.
Don’t get me wrong. My childhood idol was del piero, and then ronaldinho. Both were magical on the ball, but had short-lived peak.
And then CR7 exploded onto the scene and stayed on top since then. I wasn’t a fan on CR7 in his twinkle toes day. But seriously his numbers have converted me to a fan.

Only a denial fool like zlatan would still consider fat Ron a GOAT

Arcticdaly

Oct 3, 2018

he’s gonna burn out real quick...especially when we need him most. How’s he 36 and the only one that can keep fit
Ridiculous that cant even be rested before CL games with state of club and team.Should get more credit for being fit all the time to play all these matches at he's age and he looked tired at the end of that crotone match.

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
Don’t get me wrong. My childhood idol was del piero, and then ronaldinho. Both were magical on the ball, but had short-lived peak.
And then CR7 exploded onto the scene and stayed on top since then. I wasn’t a fan on CR7 in his twinkle toes day. But seriously his numbers have converted me to a fan.

Only a denial fool like zlatan would still consider fat Ron a GOAT
peak Rn9 and Ronaldinho were magic... too bad short lived. Even if RN9 career on top lvls was much longer than Ronaldinho.
But the slimy,fast,super technical Ronaldo wasn't there for many years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)