Cristiano Ronaldo wins 2009 Ballon D'Or (1 Viewer)

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Bear in mind the beggining of this season is taken into account as well.
It's what they say but in reality it isn't taken into account at all. All that matters is if you had a decisive part of winning the CL and/or the Euros/WC. It's supposed to be the best player of a full year but in reality it is the best player between February ~ May and then June. The other 8-9~ months are just black holes were nothing you do matters. That's why I propose the award to be handed out after each season ends; you will get the award for best player 07/08 and not for 2008. It doesn't make sense the way it is now.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
And another thing....

Looking at the top10 and having in mind how players recieve votes (i believe every journalist with a right to vote gives 5pts to the best player, 4pts to the second best, then 3pts, 2pts and 1pt) one has to wonder how the hell did Kaka recieve 31 points.
Here's top10

2008 Ballon d'Or Top Ten Classification

1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/Manchester United) - 446 points

2. Lionel Messi (Argentina/Barcelona) - 281 pts

3. Fernando Torres (Spain/Liverpool) - 179 pts

4. Iker Casillas (Spain/Real Madrid) - 133 pts

5. Xavi Hernandez (Spain/Barcelona) - 97 pts

6. Andrei Arshavin (Russia/Zenit St. Petersburg) - 64 pts

7. David Villa (Spain/Valencia) - 55 pts

8. Kaka (Brazil/AC Milan) - 31 pts

9. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden/Inter) - 30 pts

10. Steven Gerrard (England/Liverpool) - 28 pts

If i was allowed to vote i'd certainly give 5,4 and 3pts to CR7, to Messi and Torres. Then i have 2 more players to give pts to.
Ibrahimovic brought the scudetto to Inter and he's almost an one man team for them this year, leading them to the top of serie A. Villa, Xavi and Casillas all had a great EURO, with Xavi also doing solid in Europe with Barcelona (CL semifinal) and doing great with Barcelona this season.
Lampard was Chelsea's leader and scored in the CL final....etc etc etc

But what about Kaka? His team was eliminated in February from Europe and he was completely owned by Flamini on those matches. He and his team were awful in serie A and they finished 5th. This year he's doing OK but nothing more. In serie A he's still not playing as well as Del Piero or Ibra, while in Europe he's rarely playing for Milan in UEFA Cup.
He didn't play in important tournaments with Brazil.

Why the fuck did someone give Kaka any pts?

Maybe they took the December FIFA World Club championship into concideration (where Kaka was great), but that event doesn't belong to 2008. :confused:

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
i hate c ronaldo with a passion, absolute twat he is, but i cannot deny he deserves to win this, he was the best player last season and got the trophies and goals to back that, my main problem is that del piero was snubbed even for a nomination, disgraceful, it's not as if he's not a big name player as well, can't understand that one

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Some of these fools obviously voted on the guys whose names they recognized, hence Kaka's ridiculous entry to the top 10.
That happens when coaches and captains of national teams vote for FIFA player of the year. No dissrespect to the captian of Laos NT or Fiji NT, but those guys keep voting Beckham and Giggs every single year.

Here (Ballon d'or) we're talking about pro sport journalists.
96 journalists (~53 from every member of UEFA, then 1 journalist from every non-European country that played at the 2006 WC and around 25 journalists from France that form the special jury) give their votes.
I could understand if the 4 south americans voted for Kaka, but who are the other fools who gave him pts?

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
I know, but I don't think much about sports journos (they are those who couldn't cut it elsewhere, many are incompetent to a degree my blood is boiling daily) so my statement still stands.

dao_nq

Feb 6, 2008
This award is based on opinions and you guys see the media has influence on it though. OK I agree C.Ro has skills, nearly complete player but hey I don't see in him Champions traits like Zidane, Alex, Raul for example.

1. Who say he led ManU to CL, give me a break. In the game against Barca he did nearly nothing. He missed important penalty then against Chelski, he simply disappeared.

2. I believe Lionel Messi deserves it more but he didn't get the award simply because his team didn't get any title last season. And to me that sucks. Messi is more complete than C.Ro. What skill C.Ro has that Messi doesn't? But Messi has the mentality that C.Ro could never have - a big game flop.

Anyway, again because it's based on opinion then congratulations C.Ro, you suck!

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
IT ISN'T ABOUT WHO IS THE BETTER PLAYER IT IS ABOUT WHO WAS BETTER DURING THIS YEAR WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP ME!!!!!!!

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
No, he deserved it more than Messi based on last seasons performances.
unfortunately yes, ur right, messi is better, but on performance, c ronaldo was better, however i'd like to point out that v man u in the cl semi's messi played v well, the rest of his team really let him down, had the others actually bothered to play, messi might have led them to the cl title.........

Miki

Jun 18, 2008
That happens when coaches and captains of national teams vote for FIFA player of the year. No dissrespect to the captian of Laos NT or Fiji NT, but those guys keep voting Beckham and Giggs every single year.

Here (Ballon d'or) we're talking about pro sport journalists.
96 journalists (~53 from every member of UEFA, then 1 journalist from every non-European country that played at the 2006 WC and around 25 journalists from France that form the special jury) give their votes.
I could understand if the 4 south americans voted for Kaka, but who are the other fools who gave him pts?
I always thought higher of the Ballon d'or prize than FIFA Player of the year, for precisely the reason you mentioned. Still, I somewhat agree with Esteban, some sport journalists will drool over some players no matter how they play.

About Cristiano Ronaldo... He's a prick but he deserved to win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)