Cristiano Ronaldo is the best player in the World (1 Viewer)

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Without Deco, the Portugal NT really lacks a creative engine in the middle to put together good scoring chances. Ronaldo can score from the FKs and will be called upon to be the up-front creativity from the wings -- hopefully along with Ricardo Quaresma. But neither Gomes or Postiga are solid finishers (though Postiga has been better of late).

A lot will probably have to rest on the shoulders of João Moutinho, who has yet to prove himself in that role on the NT. Tiago hasn't been able to translate his club prowess to the NT, and Hugo Viana is a non-factor. Nani can be surprising, but he's not in his best form right now and seems to be better on the wings.

Ultimately, I expect a low-scoring affair, which should benefit Belgium. All it takes is a brain-dead defensive blunder by Caneira, Ferreira, or worst of all - Da Costa - and Belgium is in business. Carvalho and the returned Andrade are great in the center, but they can't do it all.
Well, I don't really share the enthousiasm, our team is doing so bad at the moment, it would surprise me is we lost with a smaller margin then 2 goals, even if they play without Deco, especially since Ronaldo is in such great form.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's ok Deco and Simao out gives yet another chance for Quaresma, possibly Hugo Almeida and Raul Meireles to play. :D Can't wait for Yannick Djalo to make his debut!
I think the Quaresma-Ronaldo pairing is an inevitable no-brainer we should see for almost a decade to come. May as well start the pairing now.

And it looks like Hugo Almeida may get the starting nod up-front and center. A lot could be riding on his future. He's done nice things for the U21, and it's a position where Portugal has been weak at on the big stage for a while.

I didn't realize Djalo (plays for Sporting, right?) is Portuguese.

Oddly, with that lineup tomorrow, CR may end up being team captain again. Which, to me at this stage, is a little like calling Totti your captain.

Manuel da Costa played for PSV against Arsenal was pretty good, he lacks strength but he's very tall, I think with a little time and work he will become a great defender.
He definitely needs work. He makes Boumsong look pretty good with some of the NT performances he's put in so far. :scared:

OP
Quickfeet

Quickfeet

Jan 18, 2007
  • Thread Starter #146
    I think the Quaresma-Ronaldo pairing is an inevitable no-brainer we should see for almost a decade to come. May as well start the pairing now.

And it looks like Hugo Almeida may get the starting nod up-front and center. A lot could be riding on his future. He's done nice things for the U21, and it's a position where Portugal has been weak at on the big stage for a while.

I didn't realize Djalo (plays for Sporting, right?) is Portuguese.

Oddly, with that lineup tomorrow, CR may end up being team captain again. Which, to me at this stage, is a little like calling Totti your captain.
    Djalo has a Portuguese citizen, he wasn't born in Portugal.

and Hugo Almeida and Hugo Viana will start tomorrow, Quaremsa on the right, and Ronaldo on the left.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I don't know why, but I love the Portuguese NT.

Btw, what's the word on Maniche? Is he going to be re-called?
    He's had form problems since he went to Moscow. He had amazing World Cup considering his club form at the time. A game like tomorrow's is one, IMO, where they could really use him. So I'm not sure what the deal is.

U21 match against Slovakia today was pretty one-sided as expected. Vaz Té :)thumbs:) scored an early goal on a corner kick (boy was he open), but it was, in fact, Djaló who impressed me most today. Some great passes and ball movement in attack, including an assist on their second goal.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    He's had form problems since he went to Moscow. He had amazing World Cup considering his club form at the time. A game like tomorrow's is one, IMO, where they could really use him. So I'm not sure what the deal is.

U21 match against Slovakia today was pretty one-sided as expected. Vaz Té :)thumbs:) scored an early goal on a corner kick (boy was he open), but it was, in fact, Djaló who impressed me most today. Some great passes and ball movement in attack, including an assist on their second goal.
    I hear a lot about this kid from you. Is he someone Juve should be keeping an eye on?

OP
    Quickfeet

Quickfeet

Jan 18, 2007
  • Thread Starter #156
    March 24, 2007
    Portugal v Belgium
    21h00 - 17h00 EST
    Estadio de Alvalade

Ricardo;

Miguel, Meira, Carvalho, Paulo Ferreira;

Petit, Tiago, Hugo Viana;

Quaresma, Hugo Almeida, C. Ronaldo.

C. Ronaldo on great form, Petit has been scoring some nice goals for Benfica.
    Miguel on form as usual, playing for the Europe XI has boosted his morale.
    Ricardo has been good lately too.

Great match I can't wait to see it, i'm happy to see Hugo Almeida playing!

Jul 23, 2006
    March 24, 2007
    Portugal v Belgium
    21h00 - 17h00 EST
    Estadio de Alvalade

Ricardo;

Miguel, Meira, Carvalho, Paulo Ferreira;

Petit, Tiago, Hugo Viana;

Quaresma, Hugo Almeida, C. Ronaldo.

C. Ronaldo on great form, Petit has been scoring some nice goals for Benfica.
    Miguel on form as usual, playing for the Europe XI has boosted his morale.
    Ricardo has been good lately too.

Great match I can't wait to see it, i'm happy to see Hugo Almeida playing!
    You forgot Hugo Almeida(Good form)

And Carvalho, who in my opinion, has been world class this season

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)