Cricket (5 Viewers)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by iBianconeri ] ++
don tell me you've never heard of Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Javed Miandad, etc. They are bigger names than Sachind TEndulkar.
Dude either you're pakistani or you dont know enough about the game. ;)

Jul 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++

Tendulka sulka is a massive "name" and massive talent. But imo Iman Khan jus as big a name and talent.

Wasim Akram....my personel fav player, may not have the batting talent but allround he is one of the best all time player imo :cool:

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Not any more stu. Brian Lara lacks consistency, and that to me more than anything speaks volumes for a player.

@ John 10: Sure, I love Wasim Akram too, and Imran Khan is a great player as well, but i dont think any of them especially the latter, can be compared with Sachin (Different eras). Wasim was a bowler, Sachin a bat. And i think its like comparing Baggio and Maldini. Two different positions. Thats where i think Sachin has the edge, because cricket is a batsman's game, i feel. And hes got fantastic stats against his name. Like i said earlier though, hes not consistent enough, which is where id probably say Steve Waugh was a more gutsy bat than Sachin. But i think this era definitely belongs to Sachin without a doubt.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
He's not as consistent as he once was but there's no denying Lara's ability. He's as skilled a batsman as there is in world cricket today even though he's approaching the end of his career.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004

Pakistani! but i wasn't saying that Tendulkar is not a big name, certainly he is a legend. But to say that you've only heard of his name is pretty wierd. It's like saying, hmm i dont know much of football, all i know is the name David Beckham or something. (i'm not comparing the 2 in any way.)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
See its pretty simple, sure i love Akram, i think he's awesome. But to me if you think of cricket, the first name that would pretty much come to mind in this current generation would be that of Sachin Tendulkar. Yes the example you give of Beckham is in fact the least appropriate for Sachin, because they're two ends of the spectrum. The latter is known, purely for his ability, while the former more for his lavish style than anything else.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
See its pretty simple, sure i love Akram, i think he's awesome. But to me if you think of cricket, the first name that would pretty much come to mind in this current generation would be that of Sachin Tendulkar. Yes the example you give of Beckham is in fact the least appropriate for Sachin, because they're two ends of the spectrum. The latter is known, purely for his ability, while the former more for his lavish style than anything else.
I wasn't comparing Beckham to Tendulkar. but to say that he's the greatest player in the current generations is a little too extreme. If anything, he shares this position with Ricky Ponting, Matthew Hayden, and Brian Lara.

btw, i propose either a new thread for the upcoming Pakistan v. India tour, or maybe change the name of this one..

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Best bats:

1. Tendulkar
2. Steve Waugh
3. Dravid
4. Lara
5. Ganguly

Best bowlers:

1. Wasim
2. Glenn McGrath
3. Shane Warne
4. Murlitaharan
5. Kumble

PS: Jae, I'm loving how the Poms are whipping the Ozzies in the Ashes. (FINALLY!)

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Best bats:

1. Tendulkar
2. Steve Waugh
3. Dravid
4. Lara
5. Ganguly

Best bowlers:

1. Wasim
2. Glenn McGrath
3. Shane Warne
4. Murlitaharan
5. Kumble

PS: Jae, I'm loving how the Poms are whipping the Ozzies in the Ashes. (FINALLY!)
I'd be interested to get an Indian perspective on this actually but why do you rate Sachin as better than Dravid? Imo Rahul has got to be the most consistent batsman in world cricket. I know your list has a coupla past players in as well, but whats your current top 5?

Btw Freddy Flintoff should be in your top 5 bowlers and arguably batsmen as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)