Corruption in English Football (2 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Undercover: Football's dirty secrets
Luton Town manager Mike Newell

A football manager has publicly named two agents who attempted to bribe him.

Luton Town manager Mike Newell says freelance football agent Charles Collymore and his assistant Mark Wilson offered him a cut of a player's fee they were attempting to negotiate.

Mike Newell rejected the offer and reported the agents to the Football Association.

In undercover filming, Mr Collymore told the BBC up to eight premiership managers who would accept bungs.

Tell us what you think about this film and read messages from other viewers
Read the undercover coach's story

Collymore made the allegation to a UEFA-licensed coach Knut Auf dem Berge who worked undercover for Panorama for nine months on an investigation into corruption in football which will be shown tomorrow night.

But Collymore denies offering or accepting any bungs and says he gave Knut Auf dem Berge false information because he was suspicious of his agenda.

Mike Newell met with the Football Association in January to discuss his allegations that transfer bungs are rife in football.

Lord Stevens, the former Metropolitan Police Commissioner, has been appointed as head of a Premier League probe into alleged transfer bungs.

He will look at irregular payments in transfer deals made since January 1 2004. He is expected to publish his findings imminently.

# Undercover: Football's Dirty Secrets will be broadcast on Tuesday 19 September at 2100 BST on BBC One. Unfortunately due to rights' issues, we are unable to stream this film live on the website but should be able to offer a slightly different version on demand.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/panorama/5358136.stm

Apparently on the BBC tonight the show 'Panorama' will bring to light some secrets that could put many higher ups in English football under scrutiny by authorities. It even made news on a football show here in the United States, so perhaps this will be a big story. With all these ridiculous transfers of players such as Tevez and Mascherano to West Ham along with the Cole deal... there has got to be something going on under the London Bridge.

Buy on AliExpress.com

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
interesting watch to say the least.Just when the scandal Hit Italy soccernet posted an article saying "Something like this, could NEVER happen in england"

well i guess they were wrong

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
sateeh said:
interesting watch to say the least.Just when the scandal Hit Italy soccernet posted an article saying "Something like this, could NEVER happen in england"

well i guess they were wrong
If they did, shame on them.

It's amusing to see people jumping to get one back for the perceived slights of the summer, but I'd much rather have found out that Capello was taking bungs than that half the club was conspiring to cheat.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Erik-with-a-k said:
The documentary on this is on the box tonight (for all you Europeans) on BBC1 at 2200 CET
the box has special features? I thought it was just a dumping channel for crappy music

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Il Re said:
i knew it!! i heard harry redknapp was involved, i always thought there was someting shifty about him
I can never see him without hearing "Any old iron? Any old iron? Any any any old iron?"

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Watched this tonight...

Although losts of juicy undercover meetings with shady characters it was virtually all inuendo, second hand 'this and that' and a whole lot of heresay...never caught any of the main players taking a brown envelope, or turning up in a hotel room demanding the dosh there and then.

Convenient that just when the producer states that they were about to hand 50 grand to a premiership manager the story breaks in the press and he gets nervous and backs out...

Chelsea didn't come out of it very well...Middlesboro' must be pissed off big time at them and their young player

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
I agree with Mikhail on this - I rather see a manager making extra dime unethically through bribery (It took quite a while to figure out the meaning of bung!:D ) than see teams fixing matches.
Having said that, with all due account, I don't see any base on which Premiership can claim its ethical superiority over other leagues. Especially, given the fact that F.A will almost certainly take no action in contrast to FIGC (We all know where the motive came from: F**king Rossi).

Anyway, I am almost certain that these teams tap up players:
Man Utd, Chelsea, Newcastle
And Sam Allyardce is one dodgey manager.

And as with Arsenal, everyone knows they get a lot of their African players from Belgian subsidary (Can't remember the team's name) and there were newspaper allegations that certain members of board including Wenger took sidepayment through off-shore accounts.

I don't know if this was mentioned in the programme, but England F.A. or perhaps European Court has to find way to stop English team's poaching young Italians and Spanish from youth teams. They are aggresively using the fact that these leagues cannot offer professional contract until 18 and poaching off prodigal talents at cheap prices whilst Italian and Spanish teams bearing the cost of nurturing the kids. I can imagine Barca and Parma feeling aggrieved by Arsenal and Man Utd. That for me along with tapping players up, are the two biggest calcio market problem present at this moment of time.
And we need more transparent ownership structure: because teams like Arsenal are gaining unfair advantage others by illegal controlling mechanisms.

As I have said before, as much as conspiring to fix match is an act of cheating, gaining advantage by means which is technically illegal, can also be constituted as cheating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)