Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (59 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
and in french around the same time, as shown by marseille waste water studies

the difference is that not one european country tried to hide information from either the general public or the world press, while china tried to keep it under the radar for a while, and now are trying to change history and say that the virus doesn't even come originally from china

meh in a sense that we knew right away that chinese were lying, we just didn't have proof (or at least not one i can remember)
Dude, I don't buy the argument that if something like Sars-Cov-2 was discovered in the US, they would be broadcasting it far and wide at first discovery. I am not so sure about most European nations either. Too much government self-interest in "making sure" and "not scaring people" to harm the economy, tourism, etc. False alarms seem immensely damaging.

Not giving China a free pass. But I think it's easy for every other nation to say, "We wouldn't try to cover it up at first if we first discovered it." That's complete b.s.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Dude, this vaccine has taken exactly the same steps and phases of testing like any other vaccine would do. Every testing and researching stage has been done, all the boxes have been checked and nothing is shortcutted, it's maybe fast tracked but it makes sense. At this point, which brands/vaccines get on the market is political rather than scientific imo.
How come? For decades we've been seeing vaccines develop for over a year, year and a half. Testing period is always a long stage where they test animals for a long time and then humans. So no, it didn't take same steps and phases. It skipped like half while vaccine itself miraculously appeared so fast and out of nowhere. I even remember some doctors saying like "if we see vaccine appear shortly, that only means it was a man-produces virus and they had the cure already, because it's not possible to make vaccine so fast".

I'm not even an anti-vaccine guy. But this shit is just too crazy, there's no way I'd take it at this point. But I have a feeling it's gonna be "forced" to do so by saying stuff like "you're not allowed to leave your boarders unless you have a paper that says you took a vaccine" or something like that.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Dude, I don't buy the argument that if something like Sars-Cov-2 was discovered in the US, they would be broadcasting it far and wide at first discovery.
that's exactly what the chinese communist party is trying to communicate. there's certainly a statistical chance that both of you are right.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
How come? For decades we've been seeing vaccines develop for over a year, year and a half. Testing period is always a long stage where they test animals for a long time and then humans. So no, it didn't take same steps and phases. It skipped like half while vaccine itself miraculously appeared so fast and out of nowhere. I even remember some doctors saying like "if we see vaccine appear shortly, that only means it was a man-produces virus and they had the cure already, because it's not possible to make vaccine so fast".

I'm not even an anti-vaccine guy. But this shit is just too crazy, there's no way I'd take it at this point. But I have a feeling it's gonna be "forced" to do so by saying stuff like "you're not allowed to leave your boarders unless you have a paper that says you took a vaccine" or something like that.
Well, the Pfizer vaccine actually didn't: animal trials, fase 1, 2 and 3. Shared their data with the scientist (peer reviewed) and got approval from the British government bodies. As far as I can tell those are all the boxes that need to be checked for any vaccine to get approval to the market. So they didn't really skip any steps that any other vaccine needs to do. I'm curious which steps it skipped? You got an argument for the Russian or Chinese vaccine as they never shared their data or held big fase 3 testing, but this one didn't cut any steps as far as I can see.

Also the reason why it gets out relativity fast is because most steps were done simultaneously and it was easy to find a large test group since this is probably the biggest crisis since... WW I?

The long term effects are only to be found... on the long term. But considering they had tested 30K people in fase 3 trials with reporting no serious side effects I also think that may limit the risks of any long term effects.

Last edited:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

I believe some of the phases had overlap to reduce the time necessary. Also, most vaccines build on other vaccines so, at least in terms of toxicity, it will have been thoroughly tested.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Well, the Pfizer vaccine actually didn't: animal trials, fase 1, 2 and 3. Shared their data with the scientist (peer reviewed) and got approval from the British government bodies. As far as I can tell those are all the boxes that need to be checked for any vaccine to get approval to the market. So they didn't really skip any steps that any other vaccine needs to do. I'm curious which steps it skipped? You got an argument for the Russian or Chinese vaccine as they never shared their data or held big fase 3 testing, but this one didn't cut any steps as far as I can see.

Also the reason why it gets out relativity fast is because most steps were done simultaneously and it was easy to find a large test group since this is probably the biggest crisis since... WW I?

The long term effects are only to be found... on the long term. But considering they had tested 30K people in fase 3 trials with reporting no serious side effects I also think that may limit the risks of any long term effects.
I'm not even saying Russian or Chinese vaccines are better. I'm just calling out for some BS in the big picture.

Crisis is actually the key word there. Due to the huge crisis I think we're seeing way too many shortcuts in order to get to the final product. They did test some chunk of people, but really, after 2 weeks you just go into sales? It makes no sense to jeopardize peoples lives like that because nobody knows if there will be side effects.

British government giving a green light doesn't mean anything to me. It's not like they are a third world country but the whole world is in a tough spot and everybody would like to get out of this mess in order to see economy get stable and start growing. In order to do so I bet people are willing to take huge risks with the medicine -- which they are doing.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Not eager to get the shot myself just yet. First I'll wait for whether or not our users from England grow a 2nd head or not.

Not that I'll be getting it anytime soon anyways, as I'm not in a risk group. Maybe by summer if I were to guess.

maxi

Aug 31, 2006
It's a huge sale when you have England give green light for a massive usage. Other countries will just rush into it and fight over it.
I don't think they will rush. As a brit, I think this was all just hastily rushed through and approved by the government and the British medicines regulator (and only them as far as I'm aware, not the EMA or FDA, funnily enough) as part of a political stunt to trump the EU amid ongoing tensions over a Brexit deal, as well as to boost the government's dreadful approval ratings thanks to their poor handling of the virus. In a typical arrogant fashion, they claim that they will be known for "leading humanity's charge against the virus" in the future and one minister even said that "we're just better than European countries". It doesn't give me any confidence at all. Many European countries are rightfully holding out until there's more clarification from other drug and medical associations first. I don't think anybody from my side of the pond has much confidence in this given how quickly this has been produced. They're even demanding the PM and health secretary take it live on tv lol.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
I'm not even saying Russian or Chinese vaccines are better. I'm just calling out for some BS in the big picture.

Crisis is actually the key word there. Due to the huge crisis I think we're seeing way too many shortcuts in order to get to the final product. They did test some chunk of people, but really, after 2 weeks you just go into sales? It makes no sense to jeopardize peoples lives like that because nobody knows if there will be side effects.

British government giving a green light doesn't mean anything to me. It's not like they are a third world country but the whole world is in a tough spot and everybody would like to get out of this mess in order to see economy get stable and start growing. In order to do so I bet people are willing to take huge risks with the medicine -- which they are doing.
Except it didn't. This vaccine went through all phases of testing just like any other vaccine would need to.

Due to the crisis research stages were done simultaneously and financial backing was unlimited but there's no indication that Pfizer skipped or took shortcuts during testing.

Also health authorities approving and injecting a vaccine that is unsafe sounds foolish. It would mean they end one public health crisis only to begin a new one (with a probable bigger economic downfall and political unpopularity).

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Looking at the population number I'd say we have similar numbers. It's just that the US is 50 times larger, hence 50 times more deaths. But I think we're probably the worst ones in Europe.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I don't think they will rush. As a brit, I think this was all just hastily rushed through and approved by the government and the British medicines regulator (and only them as far as I'm aware, not the EMA or FDA, funnily enough) as part of a political stunt to trump the EU amid ongoing tensions over a Brexit deal, as well as to boost the government's dreadful approval ratings thanks to their poor handling of the virus. In a typical arrogant fashion, they claim that they will be known for "leading humanity's charge against the virus" in the future and one minister even said that "we're just better than European countries". It doesn't give me any confidence at all. Many European countries are rightfully holding out until there's more clarification from other drug and medical associations first. I don't think anybody from my side of the pond has much confidence in this given how quickly this has been produced. They're even demanding the PM and health secretary take it live on tv lol.
You don't play a political stunt with the lives of potentially a large percentage of the population. That's the kind of thing you go to prison for the rest of your life. They did make a clear and obvious break with the EMA and their slower processes, which can be seen as political middle-fingering, but the MHRA isn't a joke organisation that will be knowingly putting lives at risk.

That said, I'm a naturally cynical person in a lower-risk group, so I won't be rushing to have it. But I would say that with any initial vaccine. I'm more concerned how diverse the testing groups have been so far. Do they include pregnant women, people with cancers, various underlying conditions, children, auto-immune deficiencies, etc? Ultimately we won't know any longer-term consequences until the future. But governments will take a smaller amount of deaths and side effects in contrast to tens of thousands of deaths and a stagnating economy and way of life. That's one of those sad facts.

Yes there has been a degree of patriotism over passing regulations fast, something which I find ridiculous, but it's part of the sell.

I expect Boris to take it on live tv. That would be a big political play.

tenor.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 48)