Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (43 Viewers)

Jun 6, 2015
:lol:

My life hasn’t changed at all from Covid. We’ve had like 250 cases in my part of the country during the entire pandemic, thus far. We haven’t had a full lockdown yet. Schools only shut down for a few weeks in the spring. And the few businesses that did shut down initially are mostly fully reopened. I’ve worked, climbed, surfed, hiked, etc throughout this entire thing.
:disagree: It's no wonder that you have no perspective to anything that's real life somewhere.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
:lol:

My life hasn’t changed at all from Covid. We’ve had like 250 cases in my part of the country during the entire pandemic, thus far. We haven’t had a full lockdown yet. Schools only shut down for a few weeks in the spring. And the few businesses that did shut down initially are mostly fully reopened. I’ve worked, climbed, surfed, hiked, etc throughout this entire thing.
So, life goes on?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:disagree: It's no wonder that you have no perspective to anything that's real life somewhere.
;)

Hasn’t Finland (and Scandinavia/the Baltic in general) done pretty well, too?

My friend, who is a nurse in Estonia, said life has mostly gone on as usual there with a brief period of measures in the spring to initially get things under control.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I would say personal responsibility, social responsibility (along with other human qualities) and then empathy should be the last deciding factor on how individuals cope with this sort of situation. Most of us will come short in at least one of these departments. Every individual is free to believe that they’re good and responsible until their breaking point, that’s when true goodness and sense of responsibility show. But generally speaking, most of us crumble down when being faced with someone else’s differences, that’s when states start deciding what’s best for everyone, which is the case most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal responsibility as in responsibility for your own wellbeing, not others'

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
So, life goes on?
Life always goes on. Doesn’t mean we can’t feel empathy and compassion for those less fortunate, which seems particularly difficult for some ‘muricans especially.

Anyways, for people blessed to live in areas with under 100 deaths/ million, things go well. Those places already up in that 600-1000 deaths/million range, I feel pretty bad for them. Life doesn’t go on as usual there.

- - - Updated - - -

The eternal words of Tupac Shakur.

Doesn't Finland have 0.1 persons per square mile?
19 / sq km. Which is almost 5X our 4/ sq km here. :lol:

Jun 6, 2015
;)

Hasn’t Finland (and Scandinavia/the Baltic in general) done pretty well, too?

My friend, who is a nurse in Estonia, said life has mostly gone on as usual there with a brief period of measures in the spring to initially get things under control.
Yes we've done fairly well. Obviously there are some guidelines and recommendations to follow, but I don't think my life has changed all that much. I think the biggest change for many was the transition towards working/studying remotely.

RoiLezard

LizardKing in black&white
Apr 7, 2018
Personal responsibility as in responsibility for your own wellbeing, not others'
That’s why I mentioned social responsibility and empathy, that’s what we are, no? We exist on different levels, some are more personally responsible than others and vice versa... That’s where our differences stem from. I wasn’t disagreeing with you, I was just giving my perspective on how senses of responsibility are affecting the way we deal with the pandemic as individuals.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
That’s why I mentioned social responsibility and empathy, that’s what we are, no? We exist on different levels, some are more personally responsible than others and vice versa... That’s where our differences stem from. I wasn’t disagreeing with you, I was just giving my perspective on how senses of responsibility are affecting the way we deal with the pandemic as individuals.

Indeed, some are more responsible than others. Should society protect the less responsible? Not sure i get what you're saying

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Should society protect the less responsible? Not sure i get what you're saying
Everything is connected (Say in Jonas/Adam voice: Alles ist miteinander verbunden) - society must protect those who can't protect themselves say the elderly. How do you protect the elderly? You lower the risk of them catching corona. How do you do that*? You reduce the infection rate. How? You enforce masks, social distancing and liquidate demonstrations for the others. So while it looks like the state is bullying people who have a 0.000001% of dying to corona, everything circles back to protecting multiple risk groups.

Of course you could pay up and hire some helping hands to run the errands for the elderly, you could improve the frequency of public means of transportation so the wagons are emptier but you're out of funds since you've already spent the entire budget on payments to Brussels and Africa and want to renovate the Federal Chancellery for 600mil€.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
seems like they’re pretty reasonable about it

City officials will first offer free masks to those caught not wearing one in public. If the person refuses, they will face an unspecified fine, de Blasio told reporters.
That sounds reasonable for some shared public places.

But if you're in a private entity or any indoor organizational setting and refuse to mask up, it should be straight up decent size fine with your name going in the records.

- - - Updated - - -

But then you may have idiots attempting to kidnap you

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Some people just have zero capacity for empathy and compassion. I feel sorry for such failed humans. It’s a wee bit pathetic to put on such a “tough guy” act all the time.
:agree:

covid-19 will be the 3rd cause of death in the US the coming year, behind cancer and heart diseases. We’re talking about a major health problem, not missing out on domino’s coupons

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
:agree:

covid-19 will be the 3rd cause of death in the US the coming year, behind cancer and heart diseases. We’re talking about a major health problem, not missing out on domino’s coupons
What are you doing to prevent heart diseases then?

And, are we talking about straight deaths when it comes to covid-19 or are we adding all the deaths, that are listed as a covid-19 deaths?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Long term Covid symptons like reduced lung capacity, heart problems or endless fatigue 6 months after the infection are more worrying than death rates.
Actually, based on the most recent epidemiological data, the risks are higher of a 20-30 year-old young person suffering a 3-month-plus COVID fight than a 70+ year-old has of dying of COVID.

What has empathy got to do with this? What about personal responsibility instead of the state deciding what's best for everyone?
Ah, the reductionist illusion. Good luck with that. You do know what the first term in "herd immunity" references, right?

And that even your brain's thoughts are a product of the neurotransmitters made from your gut-soup microbiome, which itself is modified and regulated by the natural world around you. So even your brain functions are dependent on the living things that surround you.

I get it. A lot of people think they can live in vitro... stick me in a test tube and I will operate as I wish as normal. It's also true that the more a society economically prospers, the greater its self-belief in social isolation and individual independence. But belief isn't the same as reality. Public health is public. You can't build fences in front of your mansion and presume you will keep the barbarians at the gate while you play Fortnite.

About five minutes ago a red hat wearing fat man popped into the laundromat I’m at and told three old ladies and myself “you’re all pussies” and then left :lol:
Did it turn any of them on? Kinda hotttt....

I like Dominos pizza
You are gross and disgusting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 33)