Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (43 Viewers)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Hasn't Sweden being going to school this entire time? What have their results been for kids & COVID? Pretty sure an entire nation is a good sample pool is it not?
There was a study done to compare Sweden which had schools open fort children between 6-16 years and Finland which closed all schools. The paper is in Swedish but here is the summary:

Slutsatser (Summary)
• Skolstängningar har liten påverkan på antalet fall av covid-19 bland barn.

The closure of schools has very little influence on covid-19 cases among children.

• Barn utgör ingen riskgrupp för att bli allvarligt sjuk vid covid-19 och spelar troligen en liten roll i smittspridningen, även om ytterligare studier av detta behövs.

Children do not belong to any risk group to get seriously sick due to covid-19 and tend not to play a big part in spreading the disease even though more studies are needed.

• De negativa effekterna av en skolstängning måste därför noga vägas mot eventuella positiva effekter på minskad spridning av SARS-CoV-2 i samhälle.

The negative consequences of closing schools must be carefully weighed against the positive effects of the reduction in the spreading of covid-19 in the society due to closure of schools.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Thanks brother

Even though I tested negative, because I was at the same place where the current outbreak in Sydney is happening, they are advising me to self isolate anyway for at least the next 4 days.

Can watch the next two Juventus games in peace :baus:
At least footie is in full swing! Sarriball to the rescue :baus:

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
On why herd immunity is difficult to achieve:

- - - Updated - - -

Believe me, not everything is about him. This conversation is/was happening everywhere and my educated guess is that most countries don't give a shit about what's happening in the US schools.

Last edited:

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
On why herd immunity is difficult to achieve:
no need to write a novel, everybody knows the quarantine and isolation protocols have been put into place to stay below max hospital capacity

point is that with a quicker reaction in Feb/Mar other methods might have been just as successful, without wrecking millions of jobs

The broad public is allowed to be stupid and think masks were useless, the leading experts are not

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I'd be surprised if they were spoiled as most of the western countries. Nowdays, there's no discipline and even less, self-discipline. You could have anybody leading the nation but if the people won't bother to follow the orders or recommendations, it comes down more to the people and their actions. I don't say Trump is doing great job with this, nobody really knows what's best way to do it since it's the first time in the history of our existence that we're facing something like this, or maybe not the first time but considering the amount of people we have, considering the raised life expectancy, raised quality of life, the information via social media etc, it's a completely new situation and i ain't gonna blame any person, goverment or anybody for handling situation in whatever they saw the best. Even Trump is taking the notes from WHO like he should, but i seriously can't but laugh at the people when they act like there's a one person who makes the decisions in every country instead of seeking for all the possible help from the experts of every possible area, which could help the situation.
People in many Asian countries were used to wearing masks before Covid, it's not because they are less spoiled. I know that we tend to pay too much attention to videos of crazy people refusing to wear masks in stores but these people are not representing the whole country or even the party the resistance against wearing masks or conforming to the social distancing recommendations are attributed to. In fact, the rate of adoption of masks in the US between the beginning and end of April was comparable to Singapore's, much higher than every other Western country. This is a novel situation for sure but 1) it was novel for pretty much every country, and 2) the US had much more time compared to Asian and European countries, so there are reliable grounds for holding the administration accountable for mistakes that were avoidable. Testing and contact tracing distinguished some of the Asian countries from the rest of the world (and especially the US) in the way the problem was approached and tackled. Again, the US had more time and resources than any other country and yet this is the situation we are in. In situations like these, people are often conforming to the recommendations -there are differences for sure, but the effect of the executive handling of the problem is much greater than the effect of these individual differences. There was a large research using the GPS location data in dominantly democratic vs conservative areas and no substantial difference was found in how people conformed to social distancing guidelines (even when those guidelines were not mandatory). The US lost a lot of time in the beginning to implement reliable testing and contact tracing mechanisms, and you can reasonably blame the government for it.

- - - Updated - - -

no need to write a novel, everybody knows the quarantine and isolation protocols have been put into place to stay below max hospital capacity
He's not referring to any past policies. He's saying that even at this point, it's naive to think herd immunity is achievable in the short term. Moving in that direction doesn't help because it takes time and it will cost lives (and not only and necessarily lives of those who will die of Covid).

Also, trying to achieve herd immunity is and has been a popular thesis since the beginning of the pandemic.

point is that with a quicker reaction in Feb/Mar other methods might have been just as successful, without wrecking millions of jobs
What would this quicker reaction entail? In the hindsight, what do you think should have been done?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. I don't know what else. And they might be wrong. From the beginning, many things have been proposed, recommended, negated, changed, reframed, etc, and we should still trust them.

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

The broad public is allowed to be stupid and think masks were useless, the leading experts are not
This. 100%.

If countries had used the two months of warning we had instead of buying into Chinese propaganda and WHO downplaying, we could have had broad testing protocols, contact tracing, mask and social distancing practices all organized by the time shit hit the fan in the west. Instead, we had some leaders calling it a hoax and saying no one was going to die (Trump style), other leaders afraid to do anything for fear of seeming anti-Chinese/racist and offending the progressive identity politics crowd (Trudeau style). And we ended up with a full blown shut down because we weren’t prepared at all.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
This. 100%.

If countries had used the two months of warning we had instead of buying into Chinese propaganda and WHO downplaying, we could have had broad testing protocols, contact tracing, mask and social distancing practices all organized by the time shit hit the fan in the west. Instead, we had some leaders calling it a hoax and saying no one was going to die (Trump style), other leaders afraid to do anything for fear of seeming anti-Chinese/racist and offending the progressive identity politics crowd (Trudeau style). And we ended up with a full blown shut down because we weren’t prepared at all.
But you have to understand the politicians needed time to dump assets

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 34)