Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (25 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Got positive results yesterday. Overall I feel like shit like all my years and all the cretenism in the world are suddenly piled up upon me. Still waiting for any COVID sympthoms though.
I'd be interested to hear your symptoms. Keep us posted.

I got asked to donate plasma once I've been clear for 28 days. They are trialling it on patients in intensive care as they believe it may help.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
I'd be interested to hear your symptoms. Keep us posted.

I got asked to donate plasma once I've been clear for 28 days. They are trialling it on patients in intensive care as they believe it may help.
I was making a lame joke about no new symptoms. There are some. Most of them like with your severe typical winter flu, but on top of that, my back hurts immensely, I can't walk for more than 3-4 minutes , I can barely sit, I've started doing some painkillers to remedy it.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I was making a lame joke about no new symptoms. There are some. Most of them like with your severe typical winter flu, but on top of that, my back hurts immensely, I can't walk for more than 3-4 minutes , I can barely sit, I've started doing some painkillers to remedy it.
My parents had sore back and shoulders. I had none of that, just the headaches.

It's amazing how many ways it can fuck you up. All I didn't want is this 'long covid' that people are experiencing, it's turning them into depressed zombies for months on end.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I've still been wondering about this. Is there much evidence to back this up? That's its not just psychological?
I don't think you'll find anything conclusive at this stage. I've read a few articles from very active people and athletes, and this one this morning: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rowing/54702500

Rowers are obviously extremely fit people, and sportspeople have a natural get up and go, but there does seem to be some link between the mental side and the knock-on effects to the body. I've seen videos of people in wheelchairs from it they are so fatigued. How messed up it would be with millions of people suddenly ending up with mental and physical symptoms akin to ME/CFS.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
It's a roll of the dice. I wouldn't take sporters as a good example tbh. Reports are showing Covid-19 is a cardiovascular virus in actuality or affects the heart muscle in almost all cases and being an athlete could mean you have a worn out heart.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Inevitable something like will happen. Best we can hope for us that it mutates to something less deadly but more contagious. Vaccines won’t be the way out of this, believe it or not, we’ll never have Anything close to 100% effectivity (and probably way less effectivity for those at risk)

I’m not leaving the house in the coming years :snoop:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The NHS chief has said that there is a small chance of having a vaccine ready to use by Christmas. There are two contenders currently in late stage clinical trials at the University of Oxford. Jan-Feb 2021 does look more realistic.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
The NHS chief has said that there is a small chance of having a vaccine ready to use by Christmas. There are two contenders currently in late stage clinical trials at the University of Oxford. Jan-Feb 2021 does look more realistic.
At this point I'm saying having these first generation vaccines as our exit strategy will be a fugazzi. I'm no medic (and if there's one over here, enlighten me) but a vaccine is deemed useful and when it reports 50% effectivity (FDA standards). Meaning if 100 people get infected, 50 will still get symptoms and go through the infection with mortality a possibility (0.3/0.4%). It'll relieve some pressure of the health care facilities, but does it mean the pandemic will stop or the virus will be eradicated? I don't think so. Will it mean we can go back to massive group meetings and sniffing each others armpits in a crowded tube or a concert? Don't think so either, considering 50% is still susceptible for the virus. Infections chains will be shorter but social restrictions will need to remain imo.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
At this point I'm saying having these first generation vaccines as our exit strategy will be a fugazzi. I'm no medic (and if there's one over here, enlighten me) but a vaccine is deemed useful and when it reports 50% effectivity (FDA standards). Meaning if 100 people get infected, 50 will still get symptoms and go through the infection with mortality a possibility (0.3/0.4%). It'll relieve some pressure of the health care facilities, but does it mean the pandemic will stop or the virus will be eradicated? I don't think so. Will it mean we can go back to massive group meetings and sniffing each others armpits in a crowded tube or a concert? Don't think so either, considering 50% is still susceptible for the virus. Infections chains will be shorter but social restrictions will need to remain imo.
It's definitely not going to be like flicking a light switch on or off, there's going to be a process involved with it for sure, but removing 50% of people from possibly getting it on top of those that already had it (something like 20% in NYC allegedly) is pretty big.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Inevitable something like will happen. Best we can hope for us that it mutates to something less deadly but more contagious. Vaccines won’t be the way out of this, believe it or not, we’ll never have Anything close to 100% effectivity (and probably way less effectivity for those at risk)

I’m not leaving the house in the coming years :snoop:
Finally some sense. Except for the not leaving the house.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
It's definitely not going to be like flicking a light switch on or off, there's going to be a process involved with it for sure, but removing 50% of people from possibly getting it on top of those that already had it (something like 20% in NYC allegedly) is pretty big.
Yeah, sure but the way I see it those 20% already have antibody's in their blood so giving them a vaccine will only not be additional. Just 50% of the people going through the artificial infection/vaccine will make antibody's, we can go on for the exact numbers but essentially there'll remain millions if not billions of people still being prone to catching it and dying from it all over the world.

That means I ask myself the question all the time, how many deaths are we willing to accept to drop restrictions? Imagine the number of deaths are being divided by 2, it'll mean 500 people will die on a daily basis in the US in the coming years due to Covid. Does that mean we can drop restriction? Does it mean it's less of a tragedy than 1000 per day? I don't know but the focus on these vaccines are giving society the false sense of going back to normal, which it doesn't in my opinion. The real debate should be on where do we draw the line what's acceptable and what's not.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I'm certainly no virologist but my understanding is that there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all vaccine for this, at least not in the shorter term. But anything that reduces pressure on the health service has to be a good thing.

I think it will get to the point where people live with it and have their sick time, but the treatments will improve for those in more serious trouble, they already have since it broke earlier in the year. People will build up a tolerance and this idea of "herd immunity" over time but it will not be perfect. It seems that right now is too early for these things, and the Euro and US governments in particular can't have very light restrictions and hope it goes away, that's not a plan. This isn't going to disappear and might never, but years down the line the goal is for more susceptible people to take a vaccine a certain time of year like they might a flu or pneumonia jab.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Yeah, sure but the way I see it those 20% already have antibody's in their blood so giving them a vaccine will only not be additional. Just 50% of the people going through the artificial infection/vaccine will make antibody's, we can go on for the exact numbers but essentially there'll remain millions if not billions of people still being prone to catching it and dying from it all over the world.

That means I ask myself the question all the time, how many deaths are we willing to accept to drop restrictions? Imagine the number of deaths are being divided by 2, it'll mean 500 people will die on a daily basis in the US in the coming years. Does that mean we can drop restriction? Does it mean it's less of a tragedy? I don't know but the focus of these vaccines are giving society the false sense of going back to normal, which it doesn't in my opinion. The real debate should be on where do we draw the line what's acceptable and what's not.
What I meant was if 20% already have antibodies, and the vaccine would allow antibodies to be created in the remaining 50% of that 80%, then you would theoretically have 60% of the total population immune. What happens from there, or where that line is drawn, will vary greatly depending on where you live.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
What I meant was if 20% already have antibodies, and the vaccine would allow antibodies to be created in the remaining 50% of that 80%, then you would theoretically have 60% of the total population immune. What happens from there, or where that line is drawn, will vary greatly depending on where you live.
I'm certainly no virologist but my understanding is that there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all vaccine for this, at least not in the shorter term. But anything that reduces pressure on the health service has to be a good thing.

I think it will get to the point where people live with it and have their sick time, but the treatments will improve for those in more serious trouble, they already have since it broke earlier in the year. People will build up a tolerance and this idea of "herd immunity" over time but it will not be perfect. It seems that right now is too early for these things, and the Euro and US governments in particular can't have very light restrictions and hope it goes away, that's not a plan. This isn't going to disappear and might never, but years down the line the goal is for more susceptible people to take a vaccine a certain time of year like they might a flu or pneumonia jab.
I get both your points from a medical point of view. But in both I read that even with vaccines it's still a mystery how the future of our society will be. But at the very same time we're being told to stay inside and wait for the vaccine. I just feel there's a glorification of vaccines in order to get back to normal when the real debate should be on what's acceptabel for us as a society.

I read a similarity over here in Dutch media between Covid restrictions and traffic laws. It assumed that speed limits were initially created to prevent deadly accidents from happening. If we limited the speed on the motorway at say 15 KM/h we'd probably see less deadly traffic accidents happening. But we're willing to accept those deaths in traffic on our motorway in order to get somewhere a lot sooner. We drew a line at a maximum speed with deadly accidents in mind I guess.

I'm not trying to create any controversy as I feel sorry for every infection and moreover for every death. But think the debate on going back to normal right now is being hijacked by some fairy tale vaccination instead of our current crop of politicians re-thinking where we should draw lines and communicating those with us. The real end game to this will be us drawing lines and not even vaccines imo.

I'm off to the pub on Zoom :snoop:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)