Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (26 Viewers)

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
Is it completely impossible that China was working on a virus as a bio weapon and someone who worked at the lab unknowingly carried it out into the open?
Well I use retrovirus to carry gene edited DNA into cells and if the process works, the host cell will express the edited gene so in theory you can but in practice, the immune system will take care of the virus and destroy it. For me to infect cells with virus is a month of solid lab work and efficiency is always less than 50%.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I'm a scientist and have worked with viruses but I'm no expert. COVID-19 is highly dangerous to the elderly and immunocompromised, the average person will recover and in fact,I expect that many people have had it already and recovered. I even think I've had it back in January along with my family and workmates because we had the worst ever symptoms excluding the breathing troubles. Keep your Vitamins C and D up to boost your immune system.

The biggest problem is hysteria, fake news and social media. I had a meeting with some surgeons yesterday and they say it is a problem that will get bigger but its not apocalyptic. This does depend on healthcare of course, the UK are good while the Italians don't have much of a clue. It doesn't help that people are panic buying and sending out images of lung cancer patients saying that its COVID.

The one thing that is clear is the Chinese situation is much worse than they report and as a scientific community, we have strong reservations about their practices. It really wouldn't surprise me if they were to execute people who have mild symptoms and burn their bodies.
I agree. But after you say it, you state how China is lying and how they are burning people. People are just guessing what's happening in China. Saying that stuff is nothing but fake news really.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Spain numbers are quite large. While (only) ~60 have passed away in the last 24h, they have ~2500 new cases and ~590 deaths. Their overall number of infected is almost 15k. Iran is still looking bad.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
This does depend on healthcare of course, the UK are good while the Italians don't have much of a clue.
I think this has become something of a lazy statement, considering the reputation of the country and seeing statistics from the outbreak. The Italian healthcare system is consistently ranked one of the highest in the world, especially in the Lombardy region.

As someone who lives in the UK I can say that yes the NHS is fantastic and the staff do a great job, but they are under massive pressure and stress in terms of space, money and staffing even at the best of times. When this hits its peak in the UK it is a massive cause for concern.

Clamarc

Sep 26, 2018
Spain numbers are quite large. While (only) ~60 have passed away in the last 24h, they have ~2500 new cases and ~590 deaths. Their overall number of infected is almost 15k. Iran is still looking bad.
You have to consider numbers of recovered too. 5k people has recovered in Iran with 10k active cases. Spain could be worse than Iran

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
I'm going on a stag party there in September...well, I was. I've never been, but it's just a cheap place by the sea to drink and have a laugh. Half of the town is basically a British colony now.
Hopefully you give off a good reputation of the British people when you'll be there :snoop:

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Is it completely impossible that China was working on a virus as a bio weapon and someone who worked at the lab unknowingly carried it out into the open?
Yes it's easy to tell whether a virus is man made or natural.

Besides, no one could have thought of this design for a virus.

- - - Updated - - -

We are following the UK apparently. I expect my kids at home by the end of next week.

- - - Updated - - -

15 days won't change anything but it will give an idea on how much the curve is flattened. No country will do a total shutdown indefinitely.

Moreover, total shutdown does not help on the long run, it only postpones the outbreaks. Herd immunity is the only solution but it has to be achieved slowly in order to comply with hospital beds for the needy.
Unless hot weather slows it down but no evidence for it so far

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
So apparently we’re gonna be in lockdown this Friday. Decided to do a bit of shopping. No chicken, no meat, bread nor milk, pasta. Pretty much nothing. Good thing I’m on hunger strike.

Jul 13, 2010
So apparently we’re gonna be in lockdown this Friday. Decided to do a bit of shopping. No chicken, no meat, bread nor milk, pasta. Pretty much nothing. Good thing I’m on hunger strike.
you will have to make your own bread and pasta I bet the ingredients are much more obtainable.

Not sure about the milk though, you may not be able to make that yourself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)