Copa America 2016 Centenario - General Discussion (7 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I feel sorry for the guy now, for the very first time. Wilted completely under the weight of a nation... He's a victim of his own success at club level where he's never really faced much pressure. Barca fans worship him as a god even in the unsuccessful years. He can't handle the pressure of his nation, and has now cracked completely.

To retire from international football at 29, from one of the biggest footballing nations out there, without winning a single major trophy is legacy shattering.

Buy on AliExpress.com

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I feel sorry for the guy now, for the very first time. Wilted completely under the weight of a nation... He's a victim of his own success at club level where he's never really faced much pressure. Barca fans worship him as a god even in the unsuccessful years. He can't handle the pressure of his nation, and has now cracked completely.

To retire from international football at 29, from one of the biggest footballing nations out there, without winning a single major trophy is legacy shattering.
Mascherano and Agüero retiring too

:lol:
Now it's starting to look like a mutiny against the AFA

1251alex

Dec 13, 2011
Wish I wasnt on mobile. Haha. Just saw a meme of Messi sitting on the floor getting consolation by one of the ball boys with a caption that says "dont worry man, cheer up, you'll score 4 against Levante or Granada"

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Dybala-icardi also fire tata and bring in sampaoli or gareca

- - - Updated - - -

Man you should see what kind of pressure they put him under all week, really insane. I don't care for messi one way or the other but it's like they didn't want him to win
But that pressure is warranted because (a) he is not your normal world class player. He set the standards high by his performances at club level and so the expectation created as a result of how great he has been is also higher than what any other player gets. Pogba is under insane pressure too (not Messi level but still very high) because he is being billed as the next big thing and as the most expensive transfer of all time.

He is also under immense pressure because (b) people rightly realize that he is playing in a fantastic squad. Ronaldo is as close to Messi as any player can get but the same demands are not made of him because his squad sucks. Messi's squad on the other hand includes the likes of Aguero, and Higuain. Each of these players leads a team's attack on his own.

Finally (c), is the competitors squad levels compared to Argentina. On paper Argentina should be from a different planet than Chile or any other south american team. If they were competing against Germany or Spain for the cup then there is grounds for understanding the likelihood of defeat. But here they competing against Chile, a squad that has only 2 top players that fields Isla as a starter and they lost twice in a row against the same team having failed to create any decent number of chances throughout. I do not hold losing to Germany against him at all. Germany is a top team.

I realize Messi is not exactly to blame for these losses against Chile. I think he had a good game considering how he was marked and that Argentina's problem was largely tactical. The attack was starved for service throughout. Fine your coach sucks and the tactical setup makes your attack starved of service and so you lost. Own up to it and try again the next time with a new coach that would make a different setup. You were already very close with that poor setup in place. Push for a better setup and try again. Don't quit.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Wow what a weak move from Messi. I still think he'll play for Argentina again, once the disappointment of yet another international tournament failure subsides.

The one who actually needs to retire is El Chokita and the shit cunt coach Tata. Unbelievable how the Argies seem to choke so badly every time they go near a final these days.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
But that pressure is warranted because (a) he is not your normal world class player. He set the standards high by his performances at club level and so the expectation created as a result of how great he has been is also higher than what any other player gets. Pogba is under insane pressure too (not Messi level but still very high) because he is being billed as the next big thing and as the most expensive transfer of all time.

He is also under immense pressure because (b) people rightly realize that he is playing in a fantastic squad. Ronaldo is as close to Messi as any player can get but the same demands are not made of him because his squad sucks. Messi's squad on the other hand includes the likes of Aguero, and Higuain. Each of these players leads a team's attack on his own.

Finally (c), is the competitors squad levels compared to Argentina. On paper Argentina should be from a different planet than Chile or any other south american team. If they were competing against Germany or Spain for the cup then there is grounds for understanding the likelihood of defeat. But here they competing against Chile, a squad that has only 2 top players that fields Isla as a starter and they lost twice in a row against the same team having failed to create any decent number of chances throughout. I do not hold losing to Germany against him at all. Germany is a top team.

I realize Messi is not exactly to blame for these losses against Chile. I think he had a good game considering how he was marked and that Argentina's problem was largely tactical. The attack was starved for service throughout. Fine your coach sucks and the tactical setup makes your attack starved of service and so you lost. Own up to it and try again the next time with a new coach that would make a different setup. You were already very close with that poor setup in place. Push for a better setup and try again. Don't quit.
Nah dude pressure is never warranted and especially not do a final, the argies disposed of this same chile easily, why? Coz they have more quality and played with no pressure, now today pipa kun messi choke hard denying their team the title, why? Pressure

adRHCP

Nov 7, 2012
Messi doesn't need to win anything with Argentina to be considered the best player ever, he already is.

- - - Updated - - -

What a pussy move. He might be the most talented player probably in history but in terms of character strength this is disgustingly weak.

The media applies insane pressure I understand but that is only because he is supposed to be one of the best of all time in a squad that is full of world class players. What a shame.
Romero, Funes Mori, Otamendi, Mercado, Rojo, Biglia, Banega

Are those world class players?

- - - Updated - - -

Not even mentioning Higuain, whom all make fun of.

Probably the only world class player of the squad, besides Messi, is Mascherano.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)