CoMpUtEr ViRuSeS (1 Viewer)

AnnA

May 14, 2003
Tell me about your experiences! My comp crashed 3 times because of them!!!! Which viruses were in your computer? How did you solve the problem????

And if somebody knows the name of virus that every time you go to Internet opens a new window with announcmets like "Enlarge your *****" or stuff like that!
THANK YOU

Buy on AliExpress.com

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
i dont know the names of any of the viruses but ive had 2 computers crash. nowadays i learnt my lesson and got my dad to update his virus software, firewall, etc

OP
AnnA

AnnA

May 14, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    Yeah, but updates don`t help you always.... I had always the newest updates, and my anti-virus program DID recognise the virus, but it couldn`t remove it!!!

OP
    AnnA

AnnA

May 14, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    Because the virus compyed himself in a file that computer uses to work! And so it couldnt be deleted. :(

OP
    AnnA

AnnA

May 14, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    I hope Alex can answer my question about "Enlarge your p*nis" virus!!!!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Viruses are not that scary when you know a little about how they work and what you can do to minimize the damage. I've been infected a couple of times and have had to reinstall the whole system but I've only had one serious crash that wiped my entire system and that was because of a bad harddrive.

Martin's unofficial steps to keep safe from viruses:
    1. NEVER keep your Windows system files on the same partition as your important files (documents, pictures, music etc). Always install your Windows on a separate partition, ideally away from everything else, including all software.

If you get infected, you have to kill your Windows. It is then much easier to just format c: instead of deleting files here and there in between your documents.

2. If you insist on using Microsoft software for web and email such as Internet Explorer and Outlook/Outlook Express, always ALWAYS have an update virus scanner running on your computer at all times. 99.99% of viruses are written to take advantage of these poorly designed programs, this is the NUMBER ONE threat. The very easiest way to infect you with a virus is to send you an email that has an attachment which is a virus. The moment you open this message it could already execute, you need the virus scanner to check all email BEFORE you are able to open them.

Either that or use something like Mailwasher (http://www.mailwasher.net/) to filter your mail (and spam) before you start Outlook/Outlook Express. Mailwasher displays all messages in TEXT mode, thus eliminating the risk of a bad virus getting started. Mailwasher will also delete all messages you don't want from your mail server, that is before you download them with Outlook [Express].

3. Get Mozilla or Opera. Internet Explorer is notoriously unsafe to use for surfing because it has a lot more access to your system than it should. Mozilla and Opera don't have this access and thus a bad web page can't mess up your system.

4. Use Spybot routinely to kill spyware. If you don't have Internet Explorer running but it still opens windows with popups, that means you probably have spyware installed that you don't know about. Spybot is free and will eliminate it: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

The reason these popups appear in the first place is the poor design of Internet Explorer (point 3 above).

5. Use a firewall. If you have a Windows computer connected to the internet without a firewall in between, you are vulnerable to a range of common attacks.

6. Take backups of your files. You will rejoice the day your computer crashes. I just had a crash and a recent backup enabled me to restore my system in a couple of hours.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    so basically what martin says is

1. save all your personal documents first, then delete windows(format c:)

2. partition your hard drive

3. install windows in d: drive or something

4. save all your files/internet/download contents in drive c:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by [LAC] ] ++
    so basically what martin says is

1. save all your personal documents first, then delete windows(format c:)

2. partition your hard drive

3. install windows in d: drive or something

4. save all your files/internet/download contents in drive c:
    No, Windows will refuse to install on d. It won't let you install on any other drive than the first one (c). Move all your files to [d-z]. This is my partitioning:

c - windows
    d - software
    e - documents
    f - media (music mostly)
    g - install (install files)

OP
    AnnA

AnnA

May 14, 2003
  • Thread Starter #11
    :stress: ok.. Thank you both!!

And what about that p.nis virus? Do you know smg about it?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by AnnA ] ++
    :stress: ok.. Thank you both!!

And what about that p.nis virus? Do you know smg about it?
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    4. Use Spybot routinely to kill spyware. If you don't have Internet Explorer running but it still opens windows with popups, that means you probably have spyware installed that you don't know about. Spybot is free and will eliminate it: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

OP
    AnnA

AnnA

May 14, 2003
  • Thread Starter #14
    Euhm.... OK,OK, I get it now... Sorry!!!!! You`re right. I didnt get it.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Oh right. Well you should try and install a virus scanner. And if you can't do that (if you get a lot of system errors) you need to reinstall your Windows.

OP
    AnnA

AnnA

May 14, 2003
  • Thread Starter #18
    I had and I still have Kaspersky anti-virus scanner. But it couldn`t remove that virus. It just recognised it. :down:

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
    I have something to add -

Norton hogs your system resources.

I've been using eTrust EZ Antivirus by Computer Associates and its excellent. Its a lean Antivirus program without the bulk and frills of Norton / McAfee etc etc.

You can get a 30 day free trial here.

http://www.my-etrust.com/products/Antivirus.cfm?WebRefferalAffiliate=IPE200000001&VDRID=EZ00000006

Also, here is a very nice and free online virus scan -

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

Apart from that, like Martin said, use Adaware and Spybot at least once in 2 weeks or so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)