CoMpUtEr ViRuSeS (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
They should but they are rarely referred to as such in the common conversation. Just like people are more likely to say forums than fora.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
They should but they are rarely referred to as such in the common conversation. Just like people are more likely to say forums than fora.
Is it "Fora" in English too?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
4. Use Spybot routinely to kill spyware. If you don't have Internet Explorer running but it still opens windows with popups, that means you probably have spyware installed that you don't know about. Spybot is free and will eliminate it: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

The reason these popups appear in the first place is the poor design of Internet Explorer (point 3 above).
Better yet: use Ad aware 6 :thumb:

OP
AnnA

AnnA

May 14, 2003
  • Thread Starter #28
    Ok... I wanna know where I can find informations about viruses. Any suggestions?

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
    One question. Will programs install and run fine, even if you install them in a different partition/hdd other than the windows one? What happens if they have files that link to the windows system directory? Will program installers know that windows is on the other partition or hard disk drive?

venom

Oct 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by AnnA ] ++
    Ok... I wanna know where I can find informations about viruses. Any suggestions?
    I believe every major antivirus software corp's got virus info-section on their website. At least f-secure.fi has one which I've used if needed something.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by PersianMafia ] ++
    One question. Will programs install and run fine, even if you install them in a different partition/hdd other than the windows one? What happens if they have files that link to the windows system directory? Will program installers know that windows is on the other partition or hard disk drive?
    Yes, of course they will. In fact here's another tip:

Whenever installing a program, always ALWAYS choose "custom". That is the only way you actually know what is being installed and where.

In short, programs consist of two things: 1) program files and 2) config files. Config files used to be stored in .ini files, now almost everything goes in the registry. Since everyone has a different computer with different settings, it seems obvious to me that programs have to be able to install anywhere you may want to install them. When you're installing a program, the config files get written to remember where everything went. Often programs will also copy .dll files to your Windows system directory. This is a pain because these files you can't really control. If you format your Windows partition, you will still have to reinstall a lot of your software because of dll's and registry settings.

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
    have you ever encountered any programs that insist on being installed in the windows directory folder? Because I have a large enough hdd to do some partitioning, but i never thought it was worth it. I was thinking about seperating my music files and documents, but never thought of programs.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I always have a seperate partition for Windows and Programs. You can change the default directory of your program files folder in the registry

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by PersianMafia ] ++
    have you ever encountered any programs that insist on being installed in the windows directory folder?
    Off the top of my head I don't recall any.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by IceBlu ] ++

No its not better. Spybot finds so much more stuff than Ad aware...

anyway....i use both :)
    ad-aware is better from personal experience because spybot once deleted something that made one of my programs not function....

but that was personal experience

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)