Claudio Ranieri (2 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ranieri gets tinkering Saturday 7 March, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claudio Ranieri is grateful he can finally rotate the Juventus squad ahead of the Chelsea match and warns points are even more precious right now.

“Squad rotation has its risks, but we won,” he said of the 1-0 derby victory over Torino.

The likes of Alessandro Del Piero, David Trezeguet, Momo Sissoko and Pavel Nedved were rested, while Jonathan Zebina and Hasan Salihamidzic returned from long-term injury lay-offs.

“We must remember all the injuries we have had and how some players have been squeezed dry. I must thank Zebina, as I don't know how he managed to play for an hour.

“[Vincenzo] Iaquinta also did well against Lazio and he is getting back to fitness. When he is able to train regularly, he is an impressive striker.”

Nedved came off the bench in the second half and his assist from a free kick gave Giorgio Chiellini the winning goal.

“We started well, then couldn't manage to support the strikers. It was tricky, as Torino were playing the long ball and leaving our forwards isolated, so we ended up playing their game rather than ours.

“Once we started passing the ball around in our style, we made headway.”

Sebastian Giovinco was again fielded out wide on the left, but did not make an impact and Juventus improved considerably when Nedved was introduced.

“Giovinco still needs a long way to go to play in that wide role. He is a second striker and a creative player, so he has immense quality, but needs to mature and develop tactically,” mused Ranieri.

“A victory is a victory, we've said that so many times in the second half of the season, let alone in a derby. This sort of game wipes out technical differences and it's all very open.

“We created more chances than Torino and converted, so we cannot complain, can we?”

Matteo Sereni cleared Iaquinta's header on the line, just before crossing over entirely, while Ranieri waved away calls for comment on Eugenio Corini's potential second yellow card.

“I always favour the referee, he does his job and I accept it, so I don't even want to see controversial incidents. I might get angry at that moment with little things, but you have to learn to live in the world.”

Nicola Legrottaglie was suspended and Zdenek Grygera also sidelined, but both hope to be ready for Tuesday's Champions League showdown.

“I am very happy with the performance of the defence. Now we'll have to see how everyone recuperates and take our throw of the dice against Chelsea.

“We know it will be difficult, but with the support of our fans and remembering English sides tend to struggle on their travels, we have to believe we can do it.”

Today Chelsea won 2-0 at Coventry with Guus Hiddink also resting several of his star names.

“The Dutch tend to think even more than Italians of defending and then attacking the space on the counter. He rested [Nicolas] Anelka the way I rested Del Piero, so I expect him, [Salomon] Kalou and [Didier] Drogba to feature.

“He could instead opt for [Florent] Malouda from the start so that Anelka can come on when legs are tired. It doesn't matter, anyway, as Juventus must focus on their own game.”

As both Trezeguet and Del Piero were rested, it seems they will be the starting front two on Tuesday.

“You can consider it a clue if you like! Don't forget the media all said Del Piero and Trezeguet would play this evening and they didn't.”

--------------------------

Some interesting comments.

Amaurisimo

Dec 8, 2007
Juve boss hopeful of downing Guus' Blues in Turin

Sky Sport

Ranieri: Ready for 'huge game'

Claudio Ranieri is hopeful Juventus can bring to an end Guus Hiddink's winning start as Chelsea manager.

Juve host the Blues on Tuesday in the second leg of their last-16 UEFA Champions League tie, a fortnight after Chelsea triumphed 1-0 at Stamford Bridge.

Hiddink has a 100 per cent record as Blues boss after winning all five of his games in charge since taking over from Luiz Felipe Scolari.

But Ranieri, who managed Chelsea for four years, believes his side have what it takes to defeat the Premier League giants in Turin.

The Juve coach said in The Sun: "Sooner or later he has to lose and I want it to be here. We are the underdogs, they are the favourites but we will try and do something special.

"Guus is one of the best coaches in Europe and has done a great job wherever he's been, so it's not surprising he has fitted in well at Chelsea already.

"The coaching organisation may have changed but the system he plays is roughly the same with two wingers."

He continued: "It is a huge game not only for Chelsea but ourselves.

"This match will be a duel between a team that is really starting to grow - Chelsea - and a team that is on its way back to the top, Juventus.

"Is this the most important game in my career here? Maybe. But I hope there'll be more Champions League games this season."

Amaurisimo

Dec 8, 2007
Juventus.com

Ranieri: «We worked really hard to get here and we want to continue»

The wait is finally over. The two weeks after the first leg flew away and in just over 24 hours we will know whom between Juventus and Chelsea will proceed to the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

The 1-0 obtained by the English team at Stamford Bridge is a result which forces the bianconeri to a great feat. A feat which has become even more difficult due to the injuries over Legrottaglie, Marchionni and Sissoko apart from that of Camoranesi who was hurt during against the blues. However, if it is through that the true Juventus always emerged during times of difficulty then even this time Ranieri’s team is ready for battle: «I am sure we will play a great match irrelevant of who plays – commented the coach -. I have great players who have already shown their worth. Juventus is the history of Italian and European football and whoever wears this jersey always gives his very best. Tomorrow night we will have to bring out even more then the best».

With the qualification to the Coppa Italia final still possible ( the 2-1 defeat suffered away to Lazio is more then recoverable) and with championship hopes still alive, the bianconeri will therefore attempt to proceed also with their march in Europe. The importance of the Champions League is known to all and we want to confirm this: «We worked very hard to get into this competition and now we want to stay. We have all the international exposure at stake and this is both beautiful and stimulating. We must not forget that there are also another two competitions in which we still have a lot to show».

In order to remain in the competition, Ranieri will have to face somewhat of a soft-spot, Chelsea to which he contributed in making great and who now want to attempt the assault on the Champions League after they saw it slip away following penalties last year. «Hiddink will propose his mode of play trying to occupy all the zones on the field with his 4-3-3. One of the weapons of this team is the fighting spirit and this seems to have returned after the change of coach. Chelsea is once again a war machine which was built by spending lots of money».

channel 4 has this as well

If Nicolas Anelka doesn't play then Florent Malouda will take the left, Solomon Kalou the right and Drogba in the middle."

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It will be a difficult counter to handle, but the team just has to deal with it by not giving the ball away cheaply and keeping the chances going up top. As I said before, the only way we have a chance is if we score early. Breaking the deadlock will be the hardest thing.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Ranieri: We lost it in London Tuesday 10 March, 2009

Claudio Ranieri concedes the failure to score in London proved decisive, but could not have asked for more from Juventus this evening.

“I think a great deal depended on not scoring at Stamford Bridge,” he said of the 1-0 first leg defeat against Chelsea.

“We lost [Pavel] Nedved and so the whole left flank was taken apart. The lads did everything they could in the circumstances and we even got back into it with 10 men, so really there was nothing else I could ask of them.”

Vincenzo Iaquinta had opened the scoring to level the tie on aggregate, but in first half stoppages Michael Essien equalised.

“I did not see a drop in the first half, as our opponents were there too, you know! They only had that free kick and a deflected shot from distance, so to concede at that time was a cold bucket of water over our heads.”

Ranieri replaced Iaquinta with Sebastian Giovinco on the hour mark and that seemed to spark a reaction in the Bianconeri.

“Iaquinta seemed a little more tired and we know David can get a goal out of nothing, so that's why I made that decision. Giovinco can spread the play and put crosses in for Trezeguet.”

Giorgio Chiellini's second bookable offence was harsh, but Ranieri stood by the Spanish referee.

“Chiellini clearly got the ball, but those tackles from behind always risk something, so we cannot complain about the referee.

“With this tactical system of the 4-3-3, the midfielders had to protect the defence and immediately serve the strikers. Chelsea also had three and so it was difficult to find the right channel, which Trezeguet and Iaquinta did.

“I have nothing to complain about with my forwards, as they did everything they possibly could. Don't forget Chelsea lost the trophy last season on the final penalty and the change of management was probably crucial, as it changed their mentality. The real regret is not scoring at Stamford Bridge.

“For half an hour we pushed very hard, but you can't keep that tempo up forever. We did well to surprise them early on. Towards the end of the first half we tried to raise the tempo, but they were holding the ball and slowing it down.”

Juventus are out of the tournament and seven points adrift of Inter in Serie A.

“We will certainly have the chance to train regularly now, which we haven't had so far. It's a shame we have had to leave the Champions League, but we knew this was an extremely tough test and will try again next season.”

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Very good game from Ranieri.

A bold starting XI (bolder than I would have chosen) and sensible changes during the game.

No complaints from me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)