Claudio Marchisio (76 Viewers)

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
It wasn't too long ago Marchisio was hailed for his adaptability and versatility. I think Lippi and others even said "he can play anywhere across a four man midfield."

I guess that's gone the way of his being praised for consistency.

mabuchaq

Nov 30, 2011
It wasn't too long ago Marchisio was hailed for his adaptability and versatility. I think Lippi and others even said "he can play anywhere across a four man midfield."

I guess that's gone the way of his being praised for consistency.

SoulSiick

Schizoid Man
Oct 16, 2007
Marchisio has a whole different role in 3-5-2 .

In 4-3-3 we had only one striker and 2 wide player on every side ( wingers and side defenders), So he was playing box to box and moving much closer to goal to cover the space behind our only forward. Now in 3-5-2 we have 2 forwards but only 1 wide player on every side. Now he is playing much deeper and closer to our box covering the space behind wingers and also creating space for Pirlo with his movement and support.

An example of Marchisio movement in the field in 4-3-3, His heat map in 2-0 win against Cesena which we had 29 shots and he scored one :

Last night game against Catania, we also had 29 shots and here is Marchisio heat map :

* Personally I don't think Marchisio is playing worse than before, he is just doing what coach is asking him.

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
made some nice through passes, needs to get involved more.
this...did you see that action in the 2nd half in which he was in the same line with bonucci and pirlo was 10 meters from him, in the center of the field? this guy can't position himself very well in offensive actions, otherwise i can't seem to understand how come he doesn't have a influence in our offence. i've heard giacchs name 2x times more...

frick

Apr 4, 2010
blʘndu;3525384 said:
this...did you see that action in the 2nd half in which he was in the same line with bonucci and pirlo was 10 meters from him, in the center of the field? this guy can't position himself very well in offensive actions, otherwise i can't seem to understand how come he doesn't have a influence in our offence. i've heard giacchs name 2x times more...
I don't think he took offensive roles as much as in the past, especially last night when there's Giaccherini who went gung ho all the time. Did you even notice that most of Catania's attacks has been from the right (Giach's side) in the 2nd half? (I didn't get to watch the first half) And Pirlo has been in line with CBs a couple times as well, that's no big deal. Our CBs has been playing quite a high line when we're in possesion.

Marchisio's main attraction has always been about offensive movements. Goals against Inter, Palermo, Parma, and Cesena are the proofs.

Bezzy

The Bookie Queen
Jun 5, 2010

In 4-3-3 we had only one striker and 2 wide player on every side ( wingers and side defenders), So he was playing box to box and moving much closer to goal to cover the space behind our only forward. Now in 3-5-2 we have 2 forwards but only 1 wide player on every side. Now he is playing much deeper and closer to our box covering the space behind wingers and also creating space for Pirlo with his movement and support.

An example of Marchisio movement in the field in 4-3-3, His heat map in 2-0 win against Cesena which we had 29 shots and he scored one :

Last night game against Catania, we also had 29 shots and here is Marchisio heat map :

* Personally I don't think Marchisio is playing worse than before, he is just doing what coach is asking him.
if giacherini is playing in the midfield, conte tells marchisio to stay behind more. if vidal is playing they change it in games.

blʘndu;3525384 said:
I hope you aren't talking about marchisio. Because he is a king in that. That is how he scores. but lately he isn't going forward so much (probably conte tells him that).

May 22, 2007

Interesting. It does tie in with my post earlier regarding him being more alert defensively in this formation, given the way that the team attacks. The absence of Vidal must also have it's impact on what he does.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
He should play an offensive role, so again, 4-3-3 is much more suited for him.

IMO our best trio is by far Marchisio - Pirlo - Vidal. Vidal's defensive workrate gives much more space for Marchisio to go in attack and do some magic, especially if he has Mirko on the left side.

What he did last night was decent at best, but I'd rather say poor-ish performance that has gotten better when Giaccherini started getting involved.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
He should play an offensive role, so again, 4-3-3 is much more suited for him.

IMO our best trio is by far Marchisio - Pirlo - Vidal. Vidal's defensive workrate gives much more space for Marchisio to go in attack and do some magic, especially if he has Mirko on the left side.

What he did last night was decent at best, but I'd rather say poor-ish performance that has gotten better when Giaccherini started getting involved.
Indeed:tup:

Flamez

Feb 7, 2011
Against Catania, he played Vidal's role. First player to press, second passer in the team and sitting deeper in the attacking phase. Basically, the balance of the team (I don't see a particular need for a player like Marchisio to be so conservative against Catania, even with Giaccherini on the pitch, but that's just Conte's choices). And, Vidal's role or not, this system does not give him much space to work his magic. Plus, his prime fellas in the 4-3-3 for short passes and triangulations (Vucinic and Matri) are too damn far from him and it's impossible to do the same proccess with the LWB because that player has a lot defensive work to do.

Solid performance, nonetheless. Did his job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 73)