Classy bit over here (the official Inter.. i mean joke thread) (6 Viewers)

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #4,082
    i'd say a that a (fan)atic (tm) is a combination of the two, right? or am I misunderstanding? english is my second language...
    No, one definition is for fanatic, the other for fan.

So you can be a fanatical fan if you want :D

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
    I think it is, as it prevents the erosion of a language's vocabulary and the evolution of meaning to the point that words have no connection to their roots.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #4,095
    I think it is, as it prevents the erosion of a language's vocabulary and the evolution of meaning to the point that words have no connection to their roots.
    Why should a word be connected to its root? What is the root of do?

It makes no difference. Language evolves, words change meaning.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #4,097
    I don't like the way language is heading.

It's becoming too informal.
    Which language? Personally I think it's a great boon to us that we can do away with the formality crap that imo plagues certain languages. I hate saying "does the man know what time it is" in polish which is the polite form and the compulsory one.

I got an email from an italian webstore the other day and guess what, they wrote "tu", the informal you. Excellent.

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    I can only comment on English.

Minor informalities perfectly acceptable.

I'm talking about when it gets to the point where text talk is allowed in exams.

The standards of language and grammar you see from folk these days is appalling, and I'm talking about folk who are leaving school with decent qualifications not the borderline illiterate.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #4,099
    I can only comment on English.

Minor informalities perfectly acceptable.

I'm talking about when it gets to the point where text talk is allowed in exams.
    Well, "informal" would be a strong euphemism for that kind of thing. I agree that's really sad.

The standards of language and grammar you see from folk these days is appalling, and I'm talking about folk who are leaving school with decent qualifications not the borderline illiterate.
    Yeah, and I also feel like the standard of language is falling. If you go back to some decades back it seems to me papers and tv used to be a lot more intellectual, also in language (talking about English language here). And now they write more or less they way they talk.

Not sure how different it is US <-> UK, perhaps you guys are still living up to a higher standard in print.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)