CL Quarter Final Draw (1 Viewer)

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
Jeeks said:
I said Milan will eat them alive because they are a team that Milan can play their game easily against.

And why are you telling me to take easy?
I have just got back in and find a nice winning tennis bet and check in here and find you are still as optimistic as when I left here this afternoon :agree:

For those of you who have no idea who I am with a such a low post count - you don't need to know as I'm not important. Actually, the last time I posted here was with the Friday of the last CL draw so I have a couple of more hours left until I see all you people next September???

Jeeks, I will back you up on this one and for once I can talk about an interesting team such as Milan on these forums :p.

Milan will eat Lyon alive but for not neccessarily for those you suggest. Simply Lyon have gone from an underrated side to an overrated one. Yes - this is their 3rd consecutive QF which hints at their disappointment in facing Milan here but who have they played?

I watch quite a lot of Ligue 1 action and it is a TERRIBLE league. Lyon has by far and away the best squad but players who generally are of a lower calibre to those in England, Italy, Spain and probably the top German sides. Lyon were well managed the previous two seasons under Le Guen but missed a top-striker. Personnel changes this summer were Gerard Houllier as coach and Tiago replacing Essien and Carew being that purchase. The players are an improvement but the coach not - the choice of Carew is one that only he would make along with sending Nilmar back to Brazil and replacing him with Fred.

So we have a tactically poor manager (losing at home to Lille, drawing at home against Bordeaux and Auxerre i.e. any decent French side). Even under the Le Guen years all they faced in CL from England, Italy or Spain were a depleted Man Utd side who fought from a 2-0 scoreline to draw at the Gerland and then lost tamely at Old Trafford nonetheless qualifying top of the group however. Followed by Real Madrid this season who got off to their now customary 3-0 drubbing away from home and an umabitious display at the Bernabeu where a Carew back-heel got them an undeserved draw once again topping the group. In their three knockout encounters they have faced Werder and PSV (twice).

So this Milan clash is a first for them and highlights their problems. They believe they have good players but comparison to a team such as Milan, Inter, Juve, Arsenal, Chelsea or Barca it is quite the reverse. A player such as Pippo Inzaghi would be a legend in the Lyon team which is maybe slightly unfair given the clumsy-ones current form - although Vieri looks a donkey at Monaco!

And then comes Juninho - the man who makes them 'over-perform' so to speak. It was his free-kick that got them the advantage against PSV a match which PSV should have won 2-0 or 3-0 which would have been hugely better than the 1-0 they would have wished for or indeed the 0-1 they actually achieved. Otherwise it is clear an astute manager like Hiddink would never have lost to a Houllier team. But then of course he is suspended for the first match so Lyon will not be able to get the lead they require.

Milanista's may be worried but as Jeeks said forums aren't the best place to gauge reality. Although the Milan players (wrongly) being cautious of Lyon can only add to the higher chance Milan have of disposing of Lyon as if they play anywhere near the intensity they showed against Bayern who are much stronger than Lyon this tie is an open-and-shut case.

Cheer up Jeeks :p

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
well i dont know, i mean psv won against milan and draw away, lyon beat psv away by one goal, but milan lost to psv away.

very much will depend on current form as well. there is many days to go before CL matches start again, and by that time pippo might be injured, or something else bad has happened to milan form.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Intro said:
I have just got back in and find a nice winning tennis bet and check in here and find you are still as optimistic as when I left here this afternoon :agree:

For those of you who have no idea who I am with a such a low post count - you don't need to know as I'm not important. Actually, the last time I posted here was with the Friday of the last CL draw so I have a couple of more hours left until I see all you people next September???

Jeeks, I will back you up on this one and for once I can talk about an interesting team such as Milan on these forums :p.

Milan will eat Lyon alive but for not neccessarily for those you suggest. Simply Lyon have gone from an underrated side to an overrated one. Yes - this is their 3rd consecutive QF which hints at their disappointment in facing Milan here but who have they played?

I watch quite a lot of Ligue 1 action and it is a TERRIBLE league. Lyon has by far and away the best squad but players who generally are of a lower calibre to those in England, Italy, Spain and probably the top German sides. Lyon were well managed the previous two seasons under Le Guen but missed a top-striker. Personnel changes this summer were Gerard Houllier as coach and Tiago replacing Essien and Carew being that purchase. The players are an improvement but the coach not - the choice of Carew is one that only he would make along with sending Nilmar back to Brazil and replacing him with Fred.

So we have a tactically poor manager (losing at home to Lille, drawing at home against Bordeaux and Auxerre i.e. any decent French side). Even under the Le Guen years all they faced in CL from England, Italy or Spain were a depleted Man Utd side who fought from a 2-0 scoreline to draw at the Gerland and then lost tamely at Old Trafford nonetheless qualifying top of the group however. Followed by Real Madrid this season who got off to their now customary 3-0 drubbing away from home and an umabitious display at the Bernabeu where a Carew back-heel got them an undeserved draw once again topping the group. In their three knockout encounters they have faced Werder and PSV (twice).

So this Milan clash is a first for them and highlights their problems. They believe they have good players but comparison to a team such as Milan, Inter, Juve, Arsenal, Chelsea or Barca it is quite the reverse. A player such as Pippo Inzaghi would be a legend in the Lyon team which is maybe slightly unfair given the clumsy-ones current form - although Vieri looks a donkey at Monaco!

And then comes Juninho - the man who makes them 'over-perform' so to speak. It was his free-kick that got them the advantage against PSV a match which PSV should have won 2-0 or 3-0 which would have been hugely better than the 1-0 they would have wished for or indeed the 0-1 they actually achieved. Otherwise it is clear an astute manager like Hiddink would never have lost to a Houllier team. But then of course he is suspended for the first match so Lyon will not be able to get the lead they require.

Milanista's may be worried but as Jeeks said forums aren't the best place to gauge reality. Although the Milan players (wrongly) being cautious of Lyon can only add to the higher chance Milan have of disposing of Lyon as if they play anywhere near the intensity they showed against Bayern who are much stronger than Lyon this tie is an open-and-shut case.

Cheer up Jeeks :p
Cheers to you :) So we agree on one thing this year :p

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I'm liking this draw. We can get to the final without having to play Barca or Milan. We can't afford to take Arsenal as likely as we did Bremen but we're definitely a better team than they are.

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
Stephan said:
well i dont know, i mean psv won against milan and draw away, lyon beat psv away by one goal, but milan lost to psv away.

very much will depend on current form as well. there is many days to go before CL matches start again, and by that time pippo might be injured, or something else bad has happened to milan form.
Despite a nice balanced (if not bland) view - no offence meant here :p. There would be no need for forums or discussion if we simply talked about what could happen regarding form, injuries, decisions or performances on the night as that is what makes the game unpredictable. What we can do is analyse before the event on how it is likely to go. The points you mention by comparing Lyon's performance against PSV to Milan's is a little misleading as firstly, it is irrelevant as football is about match-ups (something Jeeks eluded to earlier with his views on this tie) and secondly results and statistics are too black-and-white and don't consider the factors behind those peformances, i.e. lucky Lyon against PSV and Milan were in a bad shape at the time.

cynical

Mar 7, 2003
does anyone know when Xavi is schaduled to return? most of us forgot about him i assume. as a barca fan i would love to see a barca-juve final but i doubt it

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Intro said:
If Lyon got the second leg at home, I would give the advantage to Lyon. Lyon is a perfect team for Milan to do their usual routine of playing down to the level of the competition and choking against lesser squads. But with the home leg at the San Siro for the last match, I don't think we'll see another Deportivo La Coruna choke ... more like a PSV Eindhoven nail-biter.

rokkstar

Feb 2, 2005
I'd let the victors from Lyon-Milan slug it out with barca, and we concentrate on Arsenal and Inter.

Fact is, I hope we're being labelled underdogs coz we're shite when we're favourites, and let arsenal be overconfident and we go for the silent kill just like a ninja assassin would.

Juve Vs Barca CL Final -- possibility?

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
Dominic said:
I think Inter will eliminate us in the semi-finals. Damn, imagine a milan derby as CL final !
Milan derby in the final would be the most boring game of history..

Inter will not win against villereal. Tachinardi is there.:D

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
ZhiXin said:
nooooooooooooooo
I can't imagine Inter lifting the cup :cry:
It would be a painfull sight indeed, but I think Inter might go all the way. The path layed out for them, certainly looks promising.
We've had Inter's number this season so far, but all the more reason I think that'll change when( IF) we meet them yet again.

Maresca said:
Milan derby in the final would be the most boring game of history..

Inter will not win against villereal. Tachinardi is there.:D
It certainly isn't a final to look forward to, but how could I forget about Tacchinardi :D.

adelove

The Very Special One
Sep 29, 2003
We have a relatively easier route to the finals than those on the Lyon/Milan v Benfica/Barca axis,I do hope we seize the advantage.
Vieira has 2 play the game of his life against a team he left in order to win the Champs league(who ironically now look set to do do in his wake!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)