CL: Olympiakos - Juventus (8 Viewers)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Hey ppl,

Yea tuff game last nite. Juve were very clumsy on the ball at times. And apart from whch i thought we lacked imagination.
But that famous mentality was there to see. However, having gone thru the ratings, i think Miccoli did very well. He brings a whole lot of energy to the team. Trez And DV were hugely dissapointing. Treze might just lose his starting spot to DV imo. And most pppl say Legro was superb, including the commentators in the match last nite. He's definitely at the right place at the right time, but i feel, he's quite clumsy on the ball. And gave the ball away in crucial positions on the pitch.

Meow

Jun 8, 2003
In the first half Juve didn't play like Juve at all. The Greek was pressing and were FAST. Actually that reminded me of that Juve vs Mardrid game a lot. It was like the liitle man challenging the giant and they were determined and used tactics which gave us a hard time. Thank God we were better in the second half. I don't think the Greek were contented with a draw but really I think they were tired. They burnt out in the first half with they running and pressing blah blah blah.

And talk about diving and cheating....I was so frustrated to see our proceedings and attacks were always stopped by "fouls". Everytime we touched the ball some Olympiakos player would fall and the stupid ref would gave them the advantage.

And yes it wasn't a great game and sure wasn't our best performance. But a win is a win , that's what we needed. Hope our next game won't give me any more heart attacks.

juvegeo

Mar 10, 2003
JUVE 6
r.soc 6
olym 0
gala 0
---------------------------------------
CONGRETULATIONS!!!!
yes, del piero is a hart for the team, but thank you pavel, yesterday hi was a leader.

Tina

Aug 21, 2003
it was tough game yesterday but i'm setisfied with result. we had problems in the begining of the match but in second half it was clear that greeks were tired and we used our chances.

thank you pavel, you were MVP

aimar

Sep 29, 2003
Player Review!

here's my review on Juve players in the match..

Gigi Buffon (6/10)
Not entirely convincing on his performance. Really kept me on my toes during the match. On the olympiakos goal, he shoulda done better instead of hesistating to come out and then not coming out and being out of position. If he hadnt try to come out for the Kerembeu chip/cross and stayed on his line, he probably could have saved that.

Liliam Thuram (5.5/10)
Awful match by his high standards. At one point in game, he was completely out of position, beaten for pace by a olympiakos winger, then slips and lets the ball go into the pen. area. Plus he hardly ever went forward like he usually does because he was always been pinback, and when he did, it didnt amount to anything. But he did still get a few headers and string a few passes.

Nicola Leggrotaglie (9/10)
What a match he and montero played. They were the real reasons why he escaped Greece with all the points. Never let anything get past him and pulled out some great tackles to deny Olympiakos. And when he did make a rare error, he made up for it very convincingly.

Paolo Montero (8/10)
He too had a superb game at the back. Probably not as great a match as Nicola, but still very good. Paolo pulled of great tackles and blocks, especially one to Pontas when the latter was free to shoot on goal. But they were still worrying signs of his lost of pace when he was beaten by Castillo(who was verying impressive) and almost gave away a penalty.

Zambrotta (6.5/10)
He too was rather poor as our (attacking) fullbacks were almost useless in the match. He hardly pressed forward and when he did, he hardly did anything. He didnt defend that great either. On the positive side, he did pull of a few good tackles including that one on Pontas :D.

Alessio Tacchinardi and Stephan Appiah (7/10)
Both players werent theirselfs in the match. They didnt keep possesion well and thats why Olympiakos were so strong. They were beated by the spirited Kerembeu and co. Alessio as captain should have done better in my opinion. Appiah gave the ball away too cheaply and didnt work well with Thuram on the wing.

Edgar Davids (8/10)
Please keep him mr. Moggi. He was the only midfielder that played with heart. He never gave up and did his job well and broke up olympiakos game. Going forward he wasnt THAT great, but not terrible either. Good job Edgar!

Pavel Nedved (7.5/10)
Yes, i know he scored two great goals, but other than that, he was REALLY poor. He hardly passed the ball around like his usual self. And he never made any of those great runs he usually does. He was the culprit when he didnt play the ball fast enough to either Di Vaio, Trez or Davids when they beat the offside trap.

Marco Di Vaio (5/10)
Did nothing really. Nothing. He was completely invisible. Lippi did the right thing by bringing in a inspired Miccoli for marco.

David Trezeguet (6/10)
He was almost as bad as Di Vaio, but did better at holding up the ball and passing. But strikers arent rated for that.

Fabrizio Miccoli (8/10)
Did wonderfully when he come on for Di Vaio. Even his first touch was clever. Ran around chasing every Olympiakos pass and created for himself, unlike Di Vaio. Even hit the woodwork in a brilliant chip.

summary: that's why olympiakos played wonderfully. Most of Juve players just didnt perform. And too me, it look like we really missed Del Piero in that game. We lack that class in the final third that DP has. Di Vaio was supposed to do that, but failed miserably. We also lacked his leadership as well. Juve were shut-out by a much much more spirited display by the Greeks. We have to thank Nicola and Paolo for this point in my opinion. And we better not play like this when we visit Galatasaray, or we'll be slattered.

Tina

Aug 21, 2003
aimar thanx for analyzing the match. i kinda agree with you, that nicola and paolo performed well (especially legro) and that this match was really come back of edgar amd that its getting clear that gig is not that solid as of last year (but think that this is just because the season just began ansd boys need just mote time and practise).
though i might not agree with you on midfielders. i tihnk tacchi was a bit but better than appiah, and think that Pavel deserves much more than 7.5.

i think all the boys played with their hearts, it was clear form all these tackles. and we deserved it.

OP
Mona

Mona

Feb 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #472
    Sadly I didn't watch the match :down: but I'm happy because juve won the both matches.:extatic:

Forza Juve!! :thumb:

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Aimar you went ratings happy there with all those 8 and 9s ;)

These are the ratings in my opinion:

Buffon (6) Wasn't entirely at fault for the goal, as there were two players coming in for the header so he didn't know who was going to get the header. In the end he only made one save as Olympiakos did not have that many shots on goal.

Thuram (5.5) This guy is a shadow of himself. He's always screwing up the offside line; thank God the linesemen saved us by signalling wrongly. It's not the first match he screwed the offside, and it's becoming a constant. It's like he's not concentrating enough.

Legrottaglie (6.5) He was good at anticipating players when the ball was on the floor, however we never won a single high ball during the whole match. Corners, crosses, etc where always dangerous because we did not have players winning those high balls. Obviously it's not entirely his fault, but since he's our main air ball winner, I guess he should have done a bit better.

Montero (6) Alternated good stuff with bad stuff. His sliding tackles were always clean, and his experience and positioning was always great, however he really suffered Castillo when one on one.

Zambrotta (6.5) He didn't go up too much, but whenever he did, there would always be 2 or 3 players on him. A run he did in the second half was incredible, he looked like superman as the ball was miles in front of him yet he suceeded to reach it.

Appiah (6) A fighter but him and Thuram let too many Olym players pass by too many times.

Tacchinardi (6) This guy is really good at his defensive duties, but his playmaking duties are utter crap. 'Il Tacchino' cannot be a playmaker and I was hoping Lippi would put Maresca in for him before Nedved scored.

Davids (6.5) Probably the best out of the central 3. Unfairly cautioned cos of a cheating Greek, in fact that yellow card slowed him down a bit, but he still produced some good runs in the 2nd half, like he used to last year.

Nedved (7) When you have these players in the team that can win you matches at any moment, you just have to be grateful. True he did nothing else, but he's always running up and down the field like a train, and Olympiakos had to man mark him throughout all the match to contain his fury. Luckily for us, this year it's not only Nedved that saves us, but these 2 goals will help him get closer to the Golden Ball.

Di Vaio (5.5) Both strikers did nothing, but out of the 2, Di Vaio was more active and did less mistakes. To be honest, they rarely received any balls up front and since they are strikers that require someone to feed them with balls, they can do little or nothing in these occasions.

Trezeguet (5) Same as Di Vaio, but did more mistakes when passing the ball.

Miccoli (6.5) He was more active than the other 2 strikers, but that' s because this kind of game is more adequate for him since he goes down to midfield to get the ball himself rather than waiting for the others to pass him the ball. Unlucky not to score the Euro goal; ref was too harsh to caution him.

The Greeks tried to play the game on physical attributes and cheating dives. Whenever they fell they would always ask the ref to give a yellow card.

The ref was an idiot, he's a professional so therefore he should know the rules and implement them. UEFA speficially told referees to caution any player that asks for a sanction of his opponent, but this ref must have been sleeping when they instructed them to do so, as the Olympiakos players were averaging a protest of one per minute. Blatter get off your arse and enforce this rule, you bloody idiot!

Anyway I thought we got more than we deserved, but that's good cos this is usually Lippi's worse month, where in the past we even went for 6 games in a row without winning. If we pass this month and we still keep winning, then we are on the right way to another succesful season.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    Buffon (6) Wasn't entirely at fault for the goal, as there were two players coming in for the header so he didn't know who was going to get the header. In the end he only made one save as Olympiakos did not have that many shots on goal.
    Totally agree, the header was well struck and if anything Legrottaglie jumped late and Stoltidis reached the ball before him .. Buffon couldn't have done much about it ..

About the match, it showed that we have improved since last year were we struggled alot in European away matches .. last night's performance wasn't perfect for us as we were far too static in the attack, but in the end we won the 3 points and that's the most important thing ..

Del Piero's absence was certainly felt as we missed his movement in the final 3rd of the pitch .. Di Vaio-Trezeguet's partnership might not work afterall and Miccoli could well take the place of either of them ..

I'm glad to see Davids back to his standards, he will be very helpful in the coming months .. Camoranesi didn't play and might be used against Bologna in the weekend ..

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
    well, maybe we played like shit last night.. but, if we can win with such performance.. other teams will be thrashed when we show them the real juve.. ;)

aimar

Sep 29, 2003
    Aimar you went ratings happy there with all those 8 and 9s ;)
    i rated them like how CM3 rates players

;)

The Greeks tried to play the game on physical attributes and cheating dives. Whenever they fell they would always ask the ref to give a yellow card.

The ref was an idiot, he's a professional so therefore he should know the rules and implement them. UEFA speficially told referees to caution any player that asks for a sanction of his opponent, but this ref must have been sleeping when they instructed them to do so, as the Olympiakos players were averaging a protest of one per minute. Blatter get off your arse and enforce this rule, you bloody idiot!
    exactly. especially that Geovanni

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    Del Piero's absence was certainly felt as we missed his movement in the final 3rd of the pitch .. Di Vaio-Trezeguet's partnership might not work afterall and Miccoli could well take the place of either of them ..
    I agree we missed him and missed his contribution, and till he returns I guess lippi should switch to the 4-2-3-1 Tactic like last season. cause it's obvious that Di Vaio and Trez partnership won't work. It should be something like this with Miccoli having a deeper role to benefit from his Creativity.

=============Buffon==============
    =Thuram===Legro===Montero===Zambro=
    ===============================
    ==========Tacchi===Appiah=========
    =Miccoli=======Nedved=======Di Vaio==
    =============Trezeguet===========

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
    i am really sorry to say that but the guys really sucked at least the first half!

that WASN'T juve!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

the guys was like they were not there!!!!!!!!
    the ball possesion for the first half was like olympiakos 95% and juve 5%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanx god we gave these 2 goals and we won....

neddy was veery much better on the second half and buffon saved 1-2 goals by luck!!

we all know that juve has GREAT luck and especially buffon....
    he prooved that yestarday....

well....
    enough now....
    if anyone wants to comment anyone else....
    tell me....
    but that's my opinion.....
    juve thought olympiakos was a little, stupid team and i consider it was a miracle how they didn't play even worse and how didn't they lose!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)