[CL] Lyon 1-0 JUVENTUS [February 26th, 2020] (2 Viewers)

vote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
That game was one of the greatest tactical masterpieces I've seen in football (and Emre Can, surprisingly, was one of the most important parts of it). Everyone, from Atletico players to Juventus fans, was thinking "what the fuck is going on" during that game. It was absolutely bewildering and caught everyone by surprise.

Unfortunately, Sarri doesn't seem to be capable of thinking of something other than more quick passing.
We have some issues other than sarris tactical inflexibility that makes this difficult.
-we need double wings. D. Costa is the only one that can play LM so we need him fit
-our RBs cant attack, which we need them to do against the 352, so what do we do? Put Cuads there? This creates the next issue
-who you play at RM? Berna? Hes in awful form. Dybala? Technically he can do it and we tries him briefly there at the end of the game, but he needs to play much deeper than usual when we dont attack
-we need CMs that are a threat in the final 3rd, so Ramsey and Khedira. This will make life easier for both wings and Ronaldo as well.
-this also means no Pjanic and Bonucci, since we need some protection for counters and someone to slow down Aouar. Bentancur and Chiellini-De Ligt should be the ones used.

So imo, our success for not only the Lyon game but the rest of the season depends on a few things, Dybalas ability and willingness to play RM, far from the goal. Max tried it last season (remember the Dybala RWB heatmaps?). He wasnt happy then but good news for him is, we only really need him there in CL. The other thing is relying on 3 injury prone players being ready for the crucial CL games (D. Costa, Sami and Ramsey), and Bentancur holding his position defensively against counters
Szczesny
Cuadrado De Ligt Chiellini Alex Sandro
Bentancur
Dybala Khedira Ramsey D. Costa
Ronaldo
The last thing we depend on but i didnt mention, does sarri realize we need big changes in our tactics and aproach, not necessarily to what i suggest above. If he cant see all that is wrong so far, we are screwed

Buy on AliExpress.com

DS8_Montero

Aug 10, 2018
We have some issues other than sarris tactical inflexibility that makes this difficult.
-we need double wings. D. Costa is the only one that can play LM so we need him fit
-our RBs cant attack, which we need them to do against the 352, so what do we do? Put Cuads there? This creates the next issue
-who you play at RM? Berna? Hes in awful form. Dybala? Technically he can do it and we tries him briefly there at the end of the game, but he needs to play much deeper than usual when we dont attack
-we need CMs that are a threat in the final 3rd, so Ramsey and Khedira. This will make life easier for both wings and Ronaldo as well.
-this also means no Pjanic and Bonucci, since we need some protection for counters and someone to slow down Aouar. Bentancur and Chiellini-De Ligt should be the ones used.

So imo, our success for not only the Lyon game but the rest of the season depends on a few things, Dybalas ability and willingness to play RM, far from the goal. Max tried it last season (remember the Dybala RWB heatmaps?). He wasnt happy then but good news for him is, we only really need him there in CL. The other thing is relying on 3 injury prone players being ready for the crucial CL games (D. Costa, Sami and Ramsey), and Bentancur holding his position defensively against counters
Szczesny
Cuadrado De Ligt Chiellini Alex Sandro
Bentancur
Dybala Khedira Ramsey D. Costa
Ronaldo
The last thing we depend on but i didnt mention, does sarri realize we need big changes in our tactics and aproach, not necessarily to what i suggest above. If he cant see all that is wrong so far, we are screwed
Definitely, but since right now the transfer market is closed and the management didn't address any of these issues a month ago, now it all depends solely on Sarri's tactical (in)flexibility. That's why such a preposterous situation when Juventus (!) fans feel hopeless after 0-1 (!!) defeat in the first away game against Lyon (!!!) can even be possible.

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
As I have said before, if we are going for a relatively unproven (at the top level) coach, I’d rather not be going for a 60+ year old who has been coaching for 30 years. If we can’t get a proven elite coach on the level of a Klopp, Zidane, Guardiola, Allegri, Conte, Simeone, etc I’d rather we go for a younger, up and coming coach like we did with Conte and then Max. Inzaghi, Pochettino (even if he had a terrible start to this season), Ten Hag come to mind, and I’m sure there are others.
Id take only Ten Hag.

Nov 3, 2019
As I have said before, if we are going for a relatively unproven (at the top level) coach, I’d rather not be going for a 60+ year old who has been coaching for 30 years. If we can’t get a proven elite coach on the level of a Klopp, Zidane, Guardiola, Allegri, Conte, Simeone, etc I’d rather we go for a younger, up and coming coach like we did with Conte and then Max. Inzaghi, Pochettino (even if he had a terrible start to this season), Ten Hag come to mind, and I’m sure there are others.
Please no Inzhagi, Zidane (even though he won 3 Cl's I wouldnt put him in the category of elite coaches as he was pretty avergae in La Liga.) and Simeone football is cancer for the eyes. Ten Hag would be nice.

- - - Updated - - -

That game was one of the greatest tactical masterpieces I've seen in football (and Emre Can, surprisingly, was one of the most important parts of it). Everyone, from Atletico players to Juventus fans, was thinking "what the fuck is going on" during that game. It was absolutely bewildering and caught everyone by surprise.

Unfortunately, Sarri doesn't seem to be capable of thinking of something other than more quick passing.
In my opinion one of the best Juve matches from the last 10 years. We dominated them 90 min but unfortunately we couldnt put these perfomances in the quarter final.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Seriously for some a good coach is one that wins every match and every competition. Zidane built something special, disregarding him because of La Liga (which he won once) is short sighted. There are no perfect coaches or magic wand. Zidane is elite

Nov 3, 2019
Seriously for some a good coach is one that wins every match and every competition. Zidane built something special, disregarding him because of La Liga (which he won once) is short sighted. There are no perfect coaches or magic wand. Zidane is elite
In terms of giving his players the right motivation he is maybe the best coach of the world but he showed a lot of tactial deficities in La liga matches. In the Champions league matches he knew how to motivate his players and we shouldnt forget that he had the beast Ronaldo who scored over 40 CL goals in these 3 years and Modric-Kroos - this duo had dominated the big matches like no one else. You see it this season, his squad is waaay stronger than from Barcelona and he is 2 points behind them. In CL he lost his first Champions league match without Ronaldo. In my opinion he is a very very good coach but he isnt on Klopp, Pep level (yet).

Last edited:

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
In terms of giving his players the right motivation he is maybe the best coach of the world but he showed a lot of tactial deficities in La liga matches. In the Champions league matches he knew how to motivate his players and we shouldnt forget that he had the beast Ronaldo who scored over 40 CL goals in these 3 years and Modric-Kroos - this duo had dominated the big matches like no one else. In my opinion he is a very very good coach but he isnt on Klopp, Pep level (yet).
Horseshit about him not being on Pep's level, no disrespect intended. Besides in your other post you wanted ten Hag over Zidane which is ridiculous to me. From 2016 to 2018 each year Zidane was called out a fraud until he won the CL time and time again. There is no luck in football

Nov 3, 2019
Horseshit about him not being on Pep's level. Besides in your other post you wanted ten Hag over Zidane which is ridiculous to me. From 2016 to 2018 each year Zidane was called out as a fraud until he won the CL time and time again. There is no luck in football
Ten Hag was in semi final with a way weaker squad than Zidane had and his football was more beautiful than Zidane's team has ever played in his three years.

- - - Updated - - -

Winning titles dont make you automatically superior.

Jun 6, 2015
"Beautiful" football :touched:

- - - Updated - - -

In terms of giving his players the right motivation he is maybe the best coach of the world but he showed a lot of tactial deficities in La liga matches. In the Champions league matches he knew how to motivate his players and we shouldnt forget that he had the beast Ronaldo who scored over 40 CL goals in these 3 years and Modric-Kroos - this duo had dominated the big matches like no one else. You see it this season, his squad is waaay stronger than from Barcelona and he is 2 points behind them. In CL he lost his first Champions league match without Ronaldo. In my opinion he is a very very good coach but he isnt on Klopp, Pep level (yet).
:agree: Pep won the CL with absolute scrubs in midfield and an actual midget leading their attack. I'd like to see Zidane try to emulate that.

Last edited:

Karim30

Allegri is back, life is back.
May 6, 2012
Ten Hag was in semi final with a way weaker squad than Zidane had and his football was more beautiful than Zidane's team has ever played in his three years.

- - - Updated - - -

Winning titles dont make you automatically superior.
Ten Hag got kicked of from the CL, EL and he’s having a bad league season as well

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Horseshit about him not being on Pep's level, no disrespect intended. Besides in your other post you wanted ten Hag over Zidane which is ridiculous to me. From 2016 to 2018 each year Zidane was called out a fraud until he won the CL time and time again. There is no luck in football
There is: ref mistakes/favors. And Zidane has enjoyed such luck.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
There is: ref mistakes/favors. And Zidane has enjoyed such luck.
Italy says the same about us. They had decisions going their way in some games but saying them winning's all down to those and that they were not also great is wrong imo.

And I hate Real Madrid, my brother supports them

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Italy says the same about us. They had decisions going their way in some games but saying them winning's all down to those and that they were not also great is wrong imo.

And I hate Real Madrid, my brother supports them
Jesus, people should stop comparing a ref mistake in a cup playoff to a league tournament ffs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)