[CL] JUVENTUS vs Lyon [August 7th, 2020] (4 Viewers)

vote

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I am actually excited about this match. If we do eliminate Lyon, I agree with Sarri that everything is possible from there on.

In order to win a league, you need to have the best team. I'd say that 90-95% in winning a league is about having the best team. Only if 2 or 3 teams of similar quality fight for the league, some other factors can decide who wins it.
In order to win the CL in normal season, 60 to 70% is about having the best team, while factors like current form, injuries, lack of concentration in crucial moments, or even a referee mistake or two might screw you up. Still, in normal seasons, quality is absolutely the main factor. Teams have enough time to prepare for matches, for observing the next opponent and prepare for them, and, after all, the best teams are set up to peak in March-May.

This time it's completely different to any other time in history. At most 40-50% will be about quality and playing the best football. This means that teams like Bayern or City are still the favorites, but with 4-5 days between matches, without time to prepare for the next opponent, with only one match deciding who qualifies and who doesn't, with hot weather in mid-August and humidity above 60%, without any chance of predicting the form of teams who finished the official season almost 2 months ago in Germany or 5 months in the case of France, or the teams who played every 3 days until yesterday. No crowd. Even a minor injury of important player (which would normally keep him out for a week) can now be a catastrophe.

If we pass Lyon, everything from 5:0 defeat in the quarters to a CL win is just as possible. We'll have a 1/8 chance to win it, just as everyone else. We didn't click as a team, and in a normal season our chances to win this year were very small, or at least much smaller than 1 in 8. But in a season like this.... who knows. And that's why I am excited about the Lyon match.
But how excited are you about the current team?

Karim30

Allegri is back, life is back.
May 6, 2012
They kept him in the squad.
All the remaining teams made some squad changes for the knockouts, but, apart from us excluding Demiral and replacing him with Chiellini, all the other changes were irrelevant. Lyon had enough space in the squad and they didn't have to replace Depay, so, luckily for them, they kept him.
You can change the squad after Covid so they didn’t get lucky. Just like we did replacing Khedira with Demiral today.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
You can change the squad after Covid so they didn’t get lucky. Just like we did replacing Khedira with Demiral today.
But they didn't replace him back in February. They kept him in the squad
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...ial-champions-league-squad-changes-confirmed/

Even if UEFA didn't allow to change players after covid, he'd have been in the team.
You're right though that their decision to keep him in the squad back in February didn't change anything and we can't talk about Lyon being lucky, since they could have added him now, even if they replaced him in back then.

EDOT: Ignore it. I was checking last year's info
EDIT: I was still right though. Here's this year's one: https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...1e42-17d4be12f879-1000--winter-squad-changes/

:)

Last edited:

Karim30

Allegri is back, life is back.
May 6, 2012
But they didn't replace him back in February. They kept him in the squad
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...ial-champions-league-squad-changes-confirmed/

Even if UEFA didn't allow to change players after covid, he'd have been in the team.
You're right though that their decision to keep him in the squad back in February didn't change anything and we can't talk about Lyon being lucky, since they could have added him now, even if they replaced him in back then.

EDOT: Ignore it. I was checking last year's info
EDIT: I was still right though. Here's this year's one: https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...1e42-17d4be12f879-1000--winter-squad-changes/

:)
Yeah that’s my point :ziz:

MrMonkey

Jul 15, 2017
ask them to press them for 90 mins and force them to make mistakes.
Completely agree. Offensive teams take the game to their opponent. From previous matches not much confidence it will work but can't play waiting game since Lyon is up 1 and in the driver's seat. Lyon has to do very little until/if Juve scores.

OP

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #98
    Hard to say if our wuss of a coach will cancel out Ronaldo’s legendary winning drive, with his drivel about winning not being important.
    This entire season has felt like a prolonged bad breakup. Writing on the wall, you feel like she is cheating on you, she feels like you cheated on her and not much is ever said at the dinner table anymore.

Just fucking awkward.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
    The team just has lost too much, one loss uglier than the other. Confidence is shattered, can't see them not even close to winning this, tbh

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
    I am actually excited about this match. If we do eliminate Lyon, I agree with Sarri that everything is possible from there on.

In order to win a league, you need to have the best team. I'd say that 90-95% in winning a league is about having the best team. Only if 2 or 3 teams of similar quality fight for the league, some other factors can decide who wins it.
    In order to win the CL in normal season, 60 to 70% is about having the best team, while factors like current form, injuries, lack of concentration in crucial moments, or even a referee mistake or two might screw you up. Still, in normal seasons, quality is absolutely the main factor. Teams have enough time to prepare for matches, for observing the next opponent and prepare for them, and, after all, the best teams are set up to peak in March-May.

This time it's completely different to any other time in history. At most 40-50% will be about quality and playing the best football. This means that teams like Bayern or City are still the favorites, but with 4-5 days between matches, without time to prepare for the next opponent, with only one match deciding who qualifies and who doesn't, with hot weather in mid-August and humidity above 60%, without any chance of predicting the form of teams who finished the official season almost 2 months ago in Germany or 5 months in the case of France, or the teams who played every 3 days until yesterday. No crowd. Even a minor injury of important player (which would normally keep him out for a week) can now be a catastrophe.

If we pass Lyon, everything from 5:0 defeat in the quarters to a CL win is just as possible. We'll have a 1/8 chance to win it, just as everyone else. We didn't click as a team, and in a normal season our chances to win this year were very small, or at least much smaller than 1 in 8. But in a season like this.... who knows. And that's why I am excited about the Lyon match.
    Yes, it is more like a Euro; and we all know Euro has been won by a surprise team, and one time even in Portugal.

PS Atalanta will win it ))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)